RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #15

Well, sounds as if either your fuel pump is failing or cracks/splits in fuel line causing those air pockets. It's possible when they hooked up whatever pump they did at the shop, it had more suction than the fuel pump on your genset and pulled fuel out of your tank in spite of the splits in the hose, if it indeed has cracks/splits in it.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, that worked for one day .

Checked the filter before I started the gen today, had fuel in it. Generator ran about 3min then died. Fuel filter is empty . Tank's still 3/4 full.

I have a 2000 dolphin that was having the same problem.... the fuel line was/is brittle at the fuel filter going into the pump. The problem was when i pushed the fuel line on the filter it would crack and therefore suck air and lose its prime.

I placed a larger fuel line onto the filter and then spliced it into the origional line about 4 inches back from the filter. It fixed it for now...eventually I will have to drop the tank and replace the whole line. but this works for now.

Camping World quoted $500 to drop the tank and fix the line.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4u View Post
Blowing through the fuel hose-end at the genset filter ahead of fuel pump makes bubble-sounds in the rig's main gas tank. Finding the vaccuum tester that I thought I brought along, it easily pulls a steady stream of fuel from the gas tank to the hose-end just ahead of the genset fuel-filter. Blowing through this filter has little resistance. I'm therefore now thinking the fuel pump is likely defective. However, it makes a continuous 'pumping noise' when I press the primer switch which initially made me suspect it is working ok.

So...I'm investigatin a potential/maybe problem with the circuit-board before spending $79 for a new pump. If pump is still suspect, following is the least expensive and seemingly trustworthy source that I have found on-line for my Generac pump part 90475 plus only $4 for a replacement filter, both of which appear to be identical to my original Generac (Facet) parts:

Fuel Pump for Generac 90475, 77663, Onan & Kohler GM39462 : A.S.A.P.
Further diagnostics still pointed at the fuel pump which I subsequently ordered from above source and received via UPS today (Tues. 8/31.) The pump and filter installed easily being identical to original Facet/Generac parts -- but the engine didn't initially start, even with priming, after being idle for so long. However, the pump sounded more steady and powerful, not just burping (like a blown diaphram), and I found 'lots' of gasoline up & downstream of the pump (where previously dry.) So, I tried once again after priming, and with a little help from careful choking-revving of the carb it started and quickly began running steadily, smoothly and quietly. I shut it off after 5 minutes convinced that it will do the same tomorrow.

Our '99 Dolphin is now not only 'whole' (with working generator) but ready to provide comfort for our family if Hurricane Earl does indeed affect areas around Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base of NC.

Best,
Mac
mac4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, I hope your right , but I thought mine was fixed, till it sat for a couple days. Fired it up and it ran about 3min !
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #19

Well, my gen started quickly on first try this morning and operated smoothly about four hours with two A/C's running. I believe the new fuel pump was the answer to my problem after originally suspecting an aged & cracked fuel-hose at or near top of the main gas tank was allowing air rather than fuel to the pump.

96 WG, it appears to me that your problem is also not likely due to condition of your fuel hose from the main tank as well -- or if it is, it is not a consistent air leak in that your gen actually runs for a few minutes or 'an hour' according to your 'shop guy.' Btw, I would ask him what kind of pump he used to suck fuel from the gas tank -- I'm guessing it was simply a hand operated vacuum tester 'pump' like what I used. But my gen's fuel pump wouldn't pull a drop and push it toward the carb even though it made 'pumping sounds' when it was supposed to.

I'd firstly remove the filter from the fuel pump and be sure you can blow air through it easily, that the filter element is not blocked. If ok, I'd then loosen the nut on the carb side of the fuel pump and ease the small steel pipeline from the pump discharge, leaving the fuel hose from the main fuel tank connected to the filter-inlet. Then start the primer, then the starter, to see if any gas is being pulled from the main tank and discharged by the fuel pump.

(Note: It would be nice if you had a vacuum tester to firstly pull gasoline to the filter inlet in order to learn whether your fuel hose from the main tank is ok -- or maybe you can make an assumption after talking with your 'shop guy' if he indeed pulled gas to the fuel pump with little vacuum pressure ; but if the fuel pump couldn't maintain that supply to the carb, the pump is still of course at fault -- although for the gen to run ok _for an hour_ with a faulty fuel pump seems suspicious or maybe points at an inconsistent fuel pump problem...where it operates weakly only when gas is first brought to it and sustained for awhile with the help of a siphoning effect since the gen-inlet elevation is below the main fuel tank... ??)

At any rate, if you find gas 'not' being discharged from the fuel pump, your fuel pump is the likely culprit -- or if the pump problem is inconsistent, possibly this can be detected by observing inconsistent spurts-stops at the pump discharge. Either way you should hear the pump working, possibly a kind of burp-burp sound if the pump-diaphram is faulty, or a steady 'whirring' sound if the pump is working as it should.

Good luck,
Mac
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
I had this problem with my 2000 Sea Breeze. After looking at many things to determine what was wrong, it turned out to be a kinked hose inside the tank. It would run for 3 or 4 minutes and then die like it was starving for fuel. Fixed and working great now.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #21

Thats great ya got her solved Mac !

There dropping the tank on mine today. Said they cut the line off as far back as they could reach over the tank, and had already found two cracks. Strange not a drop of fuel leaked out of the cracks.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #22

Glad the problem finally identified, just make sure they install the best grade of hose you can get that hopefully won't deteriorate over time. Also make sure they replace ALL of the old line including that between the genset fuel pump and the carburetor.

Best of luck, Jim

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #23

Well, there is no 'positive' pressure within the hose to force gas out any cracks, but yeau, there's lots of 'strange' inconsistencies in your events... Here's hoping your problem is solved by dropping the tank to replace the hose. If the cracks are deep, beyond surface scratches that may have occurred at installation, the hose needs to be replaced anyway. 'Cracks' normally occur where the hose has been under stress for a long time, like where the hose is stretched over a pipe-fitting at its inlet or outlet (filter) and hose-clamps applied, or where heat or abrasion have taken a toll.

Best,
Mac
Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just got over a large repair bill on my genie. Control board, ouch $$$

The pump don't have much pull, and any cracks in the fuel lines cause problems.
However the tech from onan did mention that a number of fault have been coming up because of bad fuel caps. The vents on the caps are causing the tanks to be under vacuum and the small pumps on the genset just can't pull under those conditions.
Just thought it was worth a mention.

My unit has only 200 hours on it and the pump is on it's way out. Have one on order now to keep as a spare.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read somewhere, that the wrong type fuel line was used, for a short period by NRV and with all the addition of Ethanol in the gasoline, was causing the deterioration of the hose. This was a big concern in the boating industry.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #26

I wish they had used marine fuel line !

My boat is a 1989, and no trouble with the original fuel lines !
Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Well, sounds as if either your fuel pump is failing or cracks/splits in fuel line causing those air pockets.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Jim
Well, new marine grade fuel line from tank to genset, and it's running like a champ !
Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well, new marine grade fuel line from tank to genset, and it's running like a champ !

Great news, now go have some fun----

Jim