Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
We're on the road again for awhile and didn't get far from home before the generator quit. I had already and some time ago, installed and switched to an aux. fuel tank for the unit because of problems with the main tank feed, and now it wouldn't run again. Anyway, once I determined it was the fuel pump, I called Guardian and talked to Jeff at this number.... 574 293 6503 ext. 13. He verified my findings and sent me a new pump UPS overnight, along with a spare and a box of other goodies at no charge. My coach and generator is 10 years old and I'm still in disbelief at this caliber of service, which has to be one of the greatest anywhere. The above number isn't published in the manual, so you might want to make note of it.
Why not send him an email at jkaufmann@generac.com and let him know how much RV'ers in general appreciate this kind of service. Along with the extra stuff he sent, much more than surpasses anything you could ever expect from a factory warranty and there was none.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #2

We're on the road again for awhile and didn't get far from home before the generator quit. I had already and some time ago, installed and switched to an aux. fuel tank for the unit because of problems with the main tank feed, and now it wouldn't run again. Anyway, once I determined it was the fuel pump, I called Guardian and talked to Jeff at this number.... 574 293 6503 ext. 13. He verified my findings and sent me a new pump UPS overnight, along with a spare and a box of other goodies at no charge. My coach and generator is 10 years old and I'm still in disbelief at this caliber of service, which has to be one of the greatest anywhere. The above number isn't published in the manual, so you might want to make note of it.
Why not send him an email at jkaufmann@generac.com and let him know how much RV'ers in general appreciate this kind of service. Along with the extra stuff he sent, much more than surpasses anything you could ever expect from a factory warranty and there was none.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #3

Read this on the other forum...and replied to you there.

Thanks for the name and phone #...I'm writing it in the "owners' manual for possible future use.

The only problem I've had with my Generac was watching my in-line volt meter make some violent swings last fall. Getting out the owners manual, it said (if I remember correctly) the voltage should be between 22 and 28 (at the outlet). My digital VM showed 18. Reading on...it mentioned a potentiometer...adjustment screw. Taking off a cover, I found it...and with a friend with his meter AT the generator...and me inside with my meter in an outlet...we jacked it up to about 27.5.
The in-line volt meter stopped swinging...and I'm wondering if 7 years of traveling might have vibrated the pot adjusting screw.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #4

jerseyjim...
Not sure why it was low...maybe it always was and I assume you're talking a 100 volts plus on your figures, but at least you were able to adjust it. I think Jeff sent me a new board also, but mine seems to be ok in that dept.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #5

tropical36...
Wondered if the fuel pump fixed your problem for good. I have a Generac generator in my 1998 Dolphin. It runs for about 30 mins. then shuts off. If I start it up again right away, it stops. After cooling off, the pattern repeats. It doesn't matter if I am running it with or without a load.
Surferwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferwood:
tropical36...
Wondered if the fuel pump fixed your problem for good. I have a Generac generator in my 1998 Dolphin. It runs for about 30 mins. then shuts off. If I start it up again right away, it stops. After cooling off, the pattern repeats. It doesn't matter if I am running it with or without a load. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After replacing the fuel pump, we continued on our journey for another 6000 miles, without incident with the generator. It never was that good with starting and warming up that quickly until I changed the carburetor after returning home from that trip. Right now it's better than it's ever been. Too bad the contact I had for parts, is now gone, and probably the whole location by now, everything will have to come from a dealer at cost plus a hundred or so and certainly no freebees.
Thing is, I've been running on an aux. fuel tank for my generator, every since it gave me trouble the first time. May I suggest that you disconnect the fuel line from your pump and run a new hose from it to a jug of gas on the floor and see how it acts, if you haven't already.
Also, does it do the same thing while driving or just sitting still? If the crankcase isn't full of oil it will sometimes shut down as it doesn't have to be low... and when underway it sloshes around enough to keep the level switch closed to the fuel pump. Disconnect the wires at the oil filter if need be, which should disable and close the switch.
Let's us know how you make out, which contributes to the learning experience on these forums.