Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Generac generator starting issues

I have been dealing with this for a long time and have tried about everything possible but still no real answer. It will now start most of the time when all conditions are perfect: Batteries have charged for several hours and all fingers crossed. I have replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, cleaned all known contact points both positive and ground, 4 house batteries show full on control panel. However, after running the genset for any period of time, it will not restart again until hours or the next day if at all. It will try to turn the starter over but acts like it does not have enough amps, even when engaging the battery boost solenoid.

If I was not connected to shore power for the batteries to charge, I don't think it would start. I even tried jumping directly to the genset positive connection at the genset from a car's battery with same results. However, sometimes it will start like it's supposed to from house batteries.

The story is much longer than I have described (about 3 years now) but I wonder if anyone is familiar with something like this?

2001 National Marlin 390 (39' +)
Cummins 300hp diesel
Generac 75D diesel (7.5kw)
Xantrex 458 20
4 6v Trojan house batteries (2 years old)
2 12v chassis batteries

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you ever taken voltage readings as you attempt to start the generator? It sounds like a dirty connection or ground problem. I'd start with readings during start attempts. You could then add jumper wires at the ground and/or positive supply to the generator starter and see if it changes things.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
I have been dealing with this for a long time and have tried about everything possible but still no real answer. It will now start most of the time when all conditions are perfect: Batteries have charged for several hours and all fingers crossed. I have replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, cleaned all known contact points both positive and ground, 4 house batteries show full on control panel. However, after running the genset for any period of time, it will not restart again until hours or the next day if at all. It will try to turn the starter over but acts like it does not have enough amps, even when engaging the battery boost solenoid.

If I was not connected to shore power for the batteries to charge, I don't think it would start. I even tried jumping directly to the genset positive connection at the genset from a car's battery with same results. However, sometimes it will start like it's supposed to from house batteries.

The story is much longer than I have described (about 3 years now) but I wonder if anyone is familiar with something like this?

2001 National Marlin 390 (39' +)
Cummins 300hp diesel
Generac 75D diesel (7.5kw)
Xantrex 458 20
4 6v Trojan house batteries (2 years old)
2 12v chassis batteries

John
Does your generator have a ground wire from the case to the vehicle frame? Or does it rely solely on the bolts holding the case in? Sounds like a dirty ground. If it has a cable to frame, try taking it off both ends and clean them real good. If it doesn't try adding a cable from the case to the vehicle frame.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did add a cable from the starter mount bolt to the chassis frame. I think it has helped but I still have the same issue at times.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bad starter, is what it sounds like. Since connections are clean. Ground strap.

By the way, you stated, runs, shut down, then problem starting. The key here is the HEAT.

Have you removed the front cover and try to turn the generator over by hand, when cold (baseline) and when it does not start. If it turns about the same, then I would still go with starter. This is done on the left side, you will see generator belt.

Among our members, (Alfa's), we have a few resident experts on the Generac.
Yes, we have had a few starters replaced, and guess what, starter goes bad or received a bad starter.
We are lucky, starters only cost around $80 to $100, for a 75D.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was the starter you installed a rebuilt/remanufactured one? If it was and from an unknown rebuilder it my be a poor rebuild. Take the readings BFlinn suggested. If that doesn't work find a good rebuilder have them check the starter and rebuild if necessary. Not always easy to find a good rebuilder because the cheap junk the production shops put out have put them out of business.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have not been able to test during startup yet. The starter is a brand new Generac (1 month) and I have added a direct ground cable from the starter mount to the chassis frame. The flywheel seems to turn okay. It will start sometimes but not other times which is a mystery.

I need to check voltage during startup.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
If it's sluggish like not enough power from the battery it has to be a battery connection problem or battery problem. I would check all the connections between the battery and starter.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many YouTube videos on testing starters. If you pull it off, many auto parts stores will bench test it for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John, I have almost same setup as you in my 02 Tradewinds and have had same issues. Replaced starter and cleaned ground at frame, but still ever now and then the starter drags and gen won't start.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH View Post
John, I have almost same setup as you in my 02 Tradewinds and have had same issues. Replaced starter and cleaned ground at frame, but still ever now and then the starter drags and gen won't start.
I would be interested in what you have tried as I have tried everything. Have you replaced the starter solenoid? I did several years ago but it is very hard to get to under the genset. I had it out recently and should have replaced it again just to be sure. I have even connected my car battery with jumpers directly to the genset and still had similar results.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have had this problem since day one 7 years ago. The generator started ok for several months and then went into the rrrrrr,rump,rump mode. Had three starters replaced at the same time, first two were Generac original parts and then they said to go with the aftermarket one which worked ok for two months. I have had 6 starters in it in 5 years as I gave up on it after the last time. Last time it was replaced the tech said it was drawing 300 amps which I thought was a bit on the high side. My aftermarket warranty is running out pretty soon and since it's covered, I'm gonna get it done again. I have cleaned the ground wire from the case to the frame and even ran a new heavier wire to a different spot that I very carefully scraped and used a clamp instead of trying to drill a hole. I borrowed my neighbors F350 PSD and tried to jump it with that,but no go and then used my charger with the 90 amp starting jolt and no go.
I'm thinking that maybe the heater fuel pump switch may have something to do with it too. They say to hit that switch for 15-30 seconds before hitting the start switch and keep hitting the heater switch, but all that seem to do is draw the battery down.
Some times tho, it will start.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I also have had this problem since day one 7 years ago. The generator started ok for several months and then went into the rrrrrr,rump,rump mode. Had three starters replaced at the same time, first two were Generac original parts and then they said to go with the aftermarket one which worked ok for two months. I have had 6 starters in it in 5 years as I gave up on it after the last time. Last time it was replaced the tech said it was drawing 300 amps which I thought was a bit on the high side. My aftermarket warranty is running out pretty soon and since it's covered, I'm gonna get it done again. I have cleaned the ground wire from the case to the frame and even ran a new heavier wire to a different spot that I very carefully scraped and used a clamp instead of trying to drill a hole. I borrowed my neighbors F350 PSD and tried to jump it with that,but no go and then used my charger with the 90 amp starting jolt and no go.
I'm thinking that maybe the heater fuel pump switch may have something to do with it too. They say to hit that switch for 15-30 seconds before hitting the start switch and keep hitting the heater switch, but all that seem to do is draw the battery down.
Some times tho, it will start.
What year and model is your MH. When you tried jumping, did you ever go straight to the starter with the jumper and see if it would turn the engine? I tried that and was shocked when it did its usual grind. I have added a permanent ground (battery cable) from the bottom stud of the starter to a welded bolt on the chassis frame bypassing any grounding issues there could be from the starter to chassis ground. I have been sick (bad cold) for over a week and have not been able to test voltage drops at various places in the circuit from the batteries to the starter. It's about a 40 foot run from the batteries to the control panel, to the jacks and then all the way to the front of MH where the genset is. I also need the DW to be willing to assist pushing the starter.

My latest idea is that the starter solenoid may have burned contacts although it has seen very little use. I had it out recently and should have replaced it. It may be a combination of several issues that result in the solution.

Testing the power circuit is the best step forward and I don't know if you have done that yet.

You're the first person to have my exact same problem. Maybe we can figure this out together.

John
Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #14

Back in the day you would have this problem on some V8 engines when hot due to the Bendix gear and flywheel binding. I believe it was fixed with shims on the starter.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generac, generator