Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Generator

I have a 2003 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec. This MH (recent purchase) has some things that I am not familiar with. If you can help would appreciate.
My previous motor homes have all had a receptacle that I plugged the power cord in that connected it to the generator. Don't see one on my Dolphin. I have 50a service. Cord is wrapped around a barrel that releases the electric cord so that it can be plugged in to 50a service.
Questions are, is there an automatic switch over to the generator when the generator is started? Do I need to remove the power cord from my park service before starting the generator? Are the exposed ends of the power cord energized when the generator is producing power?
I like to exercise my generator at least monthly... has been a couple months now since buying this MH so need to exercise it.
Thanks, Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Ron. I wish I could answer more questions here that I ask, but I am still a newb myself. I have wondered about this too. Sorry I can't shed any light, but I look forward to other replies.
I will say, when I am at home plugged in and I want to start my genny, I always unplug because I figured better safe than sorry.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your coach has an automatic changeover box. It is normally in the power cord condition. When it senses power from the generator, it switches from the power cord to the generator. As long as the generator is running, the power from the cord will not be used. When you shut off the generator the relay will go back to cord power. you can touch the cord connectors with no fear of a shock because the cord is isolated when the generator is running.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
When you exercise your generator, be sure to turn on sufficient energy-using things (AC or refrigerator on AC or hot water heater on AC) to provide something to use up some of the generator's output. This is what the Cummings/Onan folks recommend.

JJ
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
I have a 2003 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec. This MH (recent purchase) has some things that I am not familiar with. If you can help would appreciate.
My previous motor homes have all had a receptacle that I plugged the power cord in that connected it to the generator. Don't see one on my Dolphin. I have 50a service. Cord is wrapped around a barrel that releases the electric cord so that it can be plugged in to 50a service.
Questions are, is there an automatic switch over to the generator when the generator is started? YES Do I need to remove the power cord from my park service before starting the generator? NO (but I would not have high load (A/C) on) Are the exposed ends of the power cord energized when the generator is producing power? NO
I like to exercise my generator at least monthly... has been a couple months now since buying this MH so need to exercise it. YES, exercise with A/C load
Thanks, Ron
see inline
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #6

Thanks folks, appreciate much. Ron

Tags
generator