RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Red face Generator Fuel supply problem!

I am not getting any fuel from the coach fuel tank to the gen set. I hooked a fuel line to external fuel source and generator runs but no fuel from main tank. Has anyone had to change the fuel supply line?
It appears the fuel line in inside frame rail and blocked by the main fuel tank, looking for advice or tip!

2000 Seaview 8341 gas F-53 V-10

Mtnbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Be sure the main RV fuel tank is full enough to feed fuel to the generator , that is the main tank has 1/3 or more on RV's fuel gauge.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shuts off at 1/4 tank on my 2004 seabreeZe
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

The fuel line on mine was dry rotted at the tank about a year ago. I dropped the tank and replaced the supply hose, I also replaced the fuel pump assembly while the tank was down. If you have never had a fuel tank out of a car or truck, this can be a rather involved job with a very heavy and bulky fuel tank
Old 07-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #5

Fuel supply line

Several years ago, I started my gen to exercise it and looked under the coach and it was leaking fuel. So I stopped it and the rubber hose was dry rotted also. I crawled under and replaced it as far as I could reach. Been working every since, apperantly, just the area near the gen. was bad.
Also, had problems with the fuel gauge, it wasn't grounded, So, in the conpartment on the right side, where the fuel tank hanger is, mine has a six inche round plastic "port hole" covering , above it I cut a access hole and found the ground wire had come off the fuel gauge terminal. Always something.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Retiredblade said.. My line was rotted the last few inches. the second time I cut it half way to the tank and spliced in new fuel line. My line runs on the inside frame rail. Try replacing as much line as you can, see if that helps.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
be sure to check the inline filter to the gen. set.
Larry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbiz View Post
I am not getting any fuel from the coach fuel tank to the gen set. I hooked a fuel line to external fuel source and generator runs but no fuel from main tank. Has anyone had to change the fuel supply line?
It appears the fuel line in inside frame rail and blocked by the main fuel tank, looking for advice or tip!

2000 Seaview 8341 gas F-53 V-10
since I have same RV as you, I had to replace fuel line last year. here what I did. buy 7' of 1/4" fuel line & cut old line as close as you can to fuel tank & can still make connection. I purchased a 1/4" inline fuel valve ( got mine at a lawn mower shop but auto parts places should also have them). connect old & new line to it but leave fuel flow open.
next---cut off a 10" piece &connect to fuel filter on generator. now get a fuel squeeze bulb (I got mine at Bass Pro Shop---the kind used on boat fuel lines) & make connection. keep line as short as possible but leave some slack. may need to use some zip ties to support fuel line.

these Generac fuel pumps have almost 0 suction so by adding squeeze bulb you can help prime fuel line from RV tank. mine has worked well for over a year now.

2000 Sea View 8341 & pushed by a Saturn

two slides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator