Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Generator Fuel Usage

Has anyone ever figured out how much fuel (gal/hr) the old Generac’s use? Thinking of adding a small quiet Honda just to charge our gadgets and keep the batteries topped off. I recently read they will run around 8 hours on less than a gallon in Eco-mode.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Wndsr View Post
Has anyone ever figured out how much fuel (gal/hr) the old Generac’s use? Thinking of adding a small quiet Honda just to charge our gadgets and keep the batteries topped off. I recently read they will run around 8 hours on less than a gallon in Eco-mode.

You can find that in the user manual for the genset. If you don't have the manual you can probably download it or call Generac with the model and serial and they can tell you.

My guess is about half gallon per hour at 25% loading.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sure it depends a lot on size. In my previous MH I had a 7500w Generac, and it would use just under a gallon/hour. Nothing close to 8 hours on a gallon.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ahh, found it in the installation manual. For a Q55G: .21 gal/hr at 25% up to .63 gal/hr at 100%. I called Generac once for parts info, their reply was “We no longer support RV generators” period, end of conversation.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As long as we’re on the subject - the switch on my dash will shut down the generator but the start option never functioned. I never really looked into it since I always need to go out and prime it to get it running. How does your Str/Stp switch work, can you start up without priming first?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

I prime buy hitting the STOP function on the dash switch for about 10 sec. then it starts right up.
2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #7

Both my old 1999 Generac and newer 2017 Onan generators prime by holding the stop switch for 10 seconds.

Shutting them both off is just a quick touch of the stop switch. Don't hold it in the stop position because it will run the fuel pump while stopping.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

I've never seen a Generac have a prime function holding the stop side of the switch. A lot of Onans don't have it either. I just installed a Generac G65 in a 96 Damon Challenger that I bought. The Onan had seen it's better days, and went to a rebuilder.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator