Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Red face Generator Issues

Hi out there! While we were dry camping our Generac generator suddenly quit producing power. It still runs fine, just no electrical power. RV repair center was sure it was the voltage regulator, replaced it, still no power. Now the RV dealer thinks it's the stator assy (big repair bill). However, while checking out the PCB board, I found that I have no 12 volt current going to the field windings. I have 12 volts going into the PCB, but nothing coming out to excite the field. Has anyone out there had a similar problem with their generator? The generator in question is a Generac model 09734-3 (NP-66LPG) made in about 1999. It has less than 40 hrs total on it. I can replace the PCB board myself, but I don't know about the Stator assy. Any help out there will be greatly appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Gen repair shop ruled out the regulator and suspected the stator. After removing the unit from the RV and taking the cover off, they found a wire that was laying loose on under the cover and the vibration had worn the insulation from the wire and the paint from the case, and was causing the exciter unit to ground out and therefore would not excite the stator, (or what ever the tech term is).

Picked up a foot long piece of scrap wire spliced it in and secured it! $300 labor bill later, I was on my way. (He didn't charge me for the wire!)

If it had been the stator, my Ext. Warranty would (should) have covered it!

Good luck
H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Smile

Thanks for your help. I checked all the wires, and everything looked good. I also downloaded a generac troubleshooting manual and after it was all said and done, it turned out to be the stator. It would seem that when the generator was installed, a chrome finishing screw somehow found it's way down into the stator and rotor assy and finally shorted them out. Major repair. I had an extended warranty thru Good Sam which I thought would cover most of the cost, (a whole 'nother story! I have elected not to renew again with GS). I got a quote from Camping World for the repair, but they wanted us to leave the RV there and couldn't give me a solid date as to when it would be done. I found a mobile repairman out of Eugene Oregon (we were camp hosts for the state parks there) and he repaired it for us for considerably less than CW's quote and finished it in one day. Generator works great now. Live and learn!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

What reason did they give you at GS for refusing the repair? It you do not mind sharing.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtool View Post
What reason did they give you at GS for refusing the repair? It you do not mind sharing.
Hhmmm .. wondering if it would be a "failure of a non-covered part caused the failure of a covered part, so the claim was denied?"

We've just added an Extended Service Plan brokered through WholesaleWarranties.net that has an optional Consequential Damage rider. This is our first MH - a "new to us" 2005 Sea Breeze, and we got a few quotes for an ESP .... from Good Sam, Easy Care, Wholesale Warranties and a couple others, but at the end of the day went with the plan through WW.

For us, the Consequential Damage Rider was a considerable factor in our decision at an added cost of about $8/mo over the term of the plan.

Now here's to hoping that we use it or maybe that we don't use it I think that versus insurance, we're hoping to recoup some of our premiums, but at the same time aren't wishing for anything to break. HHmmm ... I think that we just bought a renewing Lotto ticket
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

I've never had this problem with my Generac generator but you might as well contact a couple great electrical contractors with your product maintenance, repair, and warranty questions, so you can see if making adjustments to your current generator is worth it or if you should just invest in something else.
KayEhm is offline   Reply With Quote