Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generator Supply Fuel Line Problem

I'm going to search, and have already, but decided to post my question. What is the procedure to replace the fuel line from the gas tank to the generator on our 2000 National Tropi-Cal 36' gas rig.

Apparently there is an air leak in the fuel line going to the generator and I'm hoping there's an easy solution, or one that's more reasonable than having to drop the fuel tank or does someone have a better solution. Does anyone have links to the specs or diagram to help?

There doesn't appear to be any gas leaking, yet I smell gas around that generator all of the time.

Thanks for your help!!
Jim-Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may or may not be your problem.

If your generator is an Onan 5500 and never modified, it will have 2 fuel filters at the generator. I had the same problem as you and found the upper filter was leaking. The "fix" is an updated setup that replaces the top filter with a new fitting that eliminates the filter. You have to go remove a few things to get to the top filter but you can do it yourself.

The fuel filter part # is 149-2341-01
The adapter part # is A026E529

I ordered from a Cummins dealer.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure that's the problem because when I put a gallon jug of fuel and hook a line onto it directly to the generator, it cranks up and runs until I run out of fuel. But, thanks for that info, I will most likely locate the two filters and do what you suggested. At this point I believe there is a possible air leak (apparently even a pin-hole sized leak can cause an air leak, preventing fuel from reaching the generator.

Thanks, again, UFO Pilot.
Jim-Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This post will show you what is involved to replace the generator fuel supply line.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/gas-...al-210783.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe a silly question, but you are at over 1/4 tank of fuel? Just asking.
Did the fuel line replacement on my buddies rig, and yes, we had to drop the tank.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #6

I had this on my gold marquis generator on my dolphin 6320. I found a garage, not an rv shop, who replaced the fuel from tank to generator, they did have to drop the fuel tank, but just enough to connect the new line to the fuel tank connection which is on top of the fuel tank. Took them a couple hours and charged around $400. The line was a solid except at the ends. They did not remove the old line. Be sure they don't leave too much hose at the generator end. Thay did on mine and was plagued with vapor locks at high amnient temps. Removed a portion of the excess line and havent had any problems since. The frustrating part was i kept asking if it could be vapor lock and all said no way need new fuel pump etc. Finally i took matters in my oen hand and removed some of thr excess hose and it has worked flawlessly. Good luck
twocoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #7

Speaking of generators,I need some help.
Have a LP66 gen in my 02 Tradewinds,and can't get it to run. When cranking it ,it pops thru the carb. Had the valves adjusted to no avail.
Has anyoneout there had this problem??
Davidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmb View Post
Have a LP66 gen in my 02 Tradewinds,and can't get it to run. When cranking it ,it pops thru the carb. Had the valves adjusted to no avail.
Several times we had this problem on LP generators. A wasp had plugged the vent in the LP gas regulator. Carefully check the vent to make sure it is clear.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Have replaced both regulators,on tank and at generator. This no change. Guess will try and replace the coils.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
What lead you to a valve adjustment ?

First thing to check, when popping out the intake is a stuck or burnt intake valve. A compression test would help ID that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Unit has 322 hours and should have valves adjusted every 300 hrs.
Just bought this coach and was told gen had not run in a year.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Unit has 322 hours and should have valves adjusted every 300 hrs.
Just bought this coach and was told gen had not run in a year.
Was it popping before the adjustment ?

If not, it may have been done wrong.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #13

Did not run when I bought it,trying to start it,it pops,after I did get it started,it still popped. On this forum there were suggestions that fuel mixture maybe off,carb may need cleaning,weak spark,and a few others.
After it runs a little it smooths out and purrs,so it's not the valves (luckly) but it's still hard to start and sometimes doesn't.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #14

I had the same problem on my Ford Chassis Dolphin. A critter chewed through the generator fuel line above the tank. Generator would run and die, run and die. Took it to a local RV service, they dropped the tank saw it was critter damage , submitted to insurance, adjuster came out and authorized insurance to pay for repair. Lucked out of that one, till insurance dropped me. They stopped all RV insurance underwriting, not just me.
MAC L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator