Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Genny won't start

Yesterday I tried to start my generator to check some things as I'm not hooked up to my 30A post and it wouldn't start. It ran fine the day before when I was having some work done at the sat guy place on my Traveler.This time it cranked really slow,even after 30 seconds with the heater, and then another try and it barely turned over then even after I hit the boost button.After 30 seconds or so,I tried it one more time and it cranked normally,but wouldn't start..Waited a couple of minutes more and tired it again and nothing..No crank,no sound,nothing..Checked everything I could see to check under the hood and tried it again and nothing.. Today,same thing..
It's a generac diesel.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not low on fuel?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't think so as I just filled the fuel tank a couple of days ago and it doesn't even want to turn over...I have felt around under the dash ,but nothing seemed to be loose,so I may have to pull the panel and check it visually..I always fill the tank after every trip as it doesn't hurt so much as when you wait and put 50 gallons or so in it..
Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be the solenoid
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is that what they call the starter contactor?? It won't start when I oush either the dash or the gen panel button and the fuse is good. Can't find any loose wires and so I guess I'll have to go underneath tomorrow and figger out how to get in there.It looks as if it's mounted on the bottom rail of the box.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check the connections and voltage on both batteries?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I checked the house batteries and had to add water to all of them,4 months old,but they seem to be ok except for the fact that I had an amber row on the battery panel tonite when I brought the rear slide in after unplugging it.. Hummmmm.... The coach starts great,so I know those are ok.
At what voltage won't the genny start?? But it also won't start with the boost button either. It has been hooked up to 20 amps for a couple of days and I'm heading out tomorrow and it'll be plugged into 50 amps where I'm going..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Try the generator while the MH engine is running. This happened to me once, the gennie would not crank until I started the engine. Guess it was a low battery charge.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Success...Got to the RV park on Tuesday and tried to put the jacks down.No way...Looked at everything I could think of in the book and then found an item in the wiring schematic about the gen and jacks being on a 150A fuse underneath.. OKAY,just where underneath?? Sli9d under the front end and couldn't find anything there under the gen... Slid under the rear and nothing under the pump..Humm.. Went to bed with the slides in as the MH was pretty unlevel.. 6:30AM,I'm out and looking again.Finally after going over every switch and fuse I could find, I reread the 12V panel in the back where it says 150A underneath ...I look and there it is on the backside of the panel and you really have to look to see it.
Now all I've got to do now is to figger out why my fridge is 75 degrees inside..
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Now all I've got to do now is to figger out why my fridge is 75 degrees inside..
You did not say what model ... but the service manuals at Bryants RV Service Documents are a great help. Also, try some Caig DeOxit on the contacts, etc. Stuff is hard to find but works wonders. DeoxIT® D-Series
Never_be_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thot the fridge was toast and all the techs thot so too..After two trips to the shop and the news that I'd either have to get a new fridge,$3,000 but don't make the 1292 Dometic any more, or a new cooling unit$1500-1900 installed, I decided last nite to give it another try.. Guess what,,It's working again..Don't know how or why as it's been a week and mebbee it finally burped enuff....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I checked the house batteries and had to add water to all of them,4 months old,but they seem to be ok except for the fact that I had an amber row on the battery panel tonite when I brought the rear slide in after unplugging it.. Hummmmm.... The coach starts great,so I know those are ok.
At what voltage won't the genny start?? But it also won't start with the boost button either. It has been hooked up to 20 amps for a couple of days and I'm heading out tomorrow and it'll be plugged into 50 amps where I'm going..
The battery voltage should not go below 9.5 volts while cranking, so if your batteries are low to begin with it may have dipped below that point. Start with the batteries and make sure they are fully charged. If it still doesn't start,(no attempt to start at all) then check the solenoid. If the solenoid is good make sure you have fuel flow and spark. If you have both then it's either the voltage regulator or the control board.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP got his generator working back on post #9.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote