Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Getting Noisy

My coach is starting to have squeaks, groans and rattles going down the road, most have developed over time. The door seems to be a main culprit but there are others around the dash. 90% of the time I am alone when driving and can't tack down. Any suggestions... particularly for new door seal?
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Sandi, the door seal on mine is just flimsy foam weather striping. Ours is shot, just too lazy to change it at this time.

Yes noises develop, they stop when you park.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
There have been two main areas I have found squeaks, 1. where the valance over the driver and passenger meet the front cupboards/TV compartment. 2. the screws that hold the plastic cover under the front cupboards that are between the windshield and the cupboard (where the rail is for the front windshield curtain).
I don't think I hear a lot of the squeaks behind me because the slide wall blocks the noise. But DW says there are plenty of squeaks and rattles as we drive along.
You definitely need someone to drive with you and push on different parts of the interior to locate the noises.
Good luck!
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

Sandi, i had the same problem when i bought mt 05' Sea Breeze last year. I got a screwdriver and started tightening every screw i could find. i was amazed at how many were a little loose. After climbing over and under everything ( there are a LOT of screws in a motorhome), it made a huge difference in the noise level.
Traildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Sandi, the door seal on mine is just flimsy foam weather striping. Ours is shot, just too lazy to change it at this time.

Yes noises develop, they stop when you park.

Fred
LOL, thanks Fred, my mechanic says to turn the radio up.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
There have been two main areas I have found squeaks, 1. where the valance over the driver and passenger meet the front cupboards/TV compartment. 2. the screws that hold the plastic cover under the front cupboards that are between the windshield and the cupboard (where the rail is for the front windshield curtain).
I don't think I hear a lot of the squeaks behind me because the slide wall blocks the noise. But DW says there are plenty of squeaks and rattles as we drive along.
You definitely need someone to drive with you and push on different parts of the interior to locate the noises.
Good luck!
Thank you, I'll be checking these, will have a co-pilot next month but was hoping to take care of some of these before then.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildennis View Post
Sandi, i had the same problem when i bought mt 05' Sea Breeze last year. I got a screwdriver and started tightening every screw i could find. i was amazed at how many were a little loose. After climbing over and under everything ( there are a LOT of screws in a motorhome), it made a huge difference in the noise level.
Thank you, that going over and under can be a bit tight but I'm on it.

Still looking for some new seal around the door.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Spray some silicone alone the plastic dash where it meets other pieces of plastic.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #9

On my last long trip I was on a mission to get rid of all the rattles on my 2004 Dolphin. The grille on one of my defroster fans was loose and that was one rattle. Just needed to tighten the screws that hold the grille on. The screen door hitting the door frame on bumps was another. Fixed that with some extra thick weatherstrip.

The hardest one to locate was caused by the plastic pieces around the front overhead cabinets and passenger's front/side window. I had to reach up around the track that the front windshield privacy curtain slides on. Up inside there is where two plastic panels come together. You'd think they would create a squeak when two pieces of plastic meet, but it sounded like more of a rattle. I made a temporary fix on the trip by putting small cardboard pieces in the seam between the two plastic pieces. It took a little trial and error. Every time we stopped I'd climb up there and move the cardboard around or add more cardboard pieces until I eventually got it. The previously mentioned silicone lubricant could work too, but it might be hard to get a spray can up there. I guess you could always spray it on a rag first and then reach up inside there and wipe it on the plastic.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #10

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I will be using everyone to track down the noises.

Thank you again.