Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Graywater Tank Sensor -Access? / Clean?

I'm now on day nine of using my National Tropi-Cal 36' for the first time..

Loving every momoent of it, but also learning alot.

One thing that I am noticing is that on my tank meter, my gray water tank is showing 1/3 Full, yet it's totally empty.

Is there any access to the sensor or an ability to clean the sensor?

My blackwater sensor is reporting properly as is my water and LPG...

CaptMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Grey and black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate. It is not unusual for a small piece of debris, grease, soap bubble or a small food particle to cause inaccurate readings in grey tanks. Black tank sensors sometimes stop working quickly due to paper and solids. Many of us who spend a lot of time in our rvs have learned to not depend on the sensors and know when the tanks are full by how they sound or react.

We have found that cleaning the black tank well after dumping helps with sensors. Grey tank sensors sometimes respond to a bit of Pine-Sol, dishwasher soap or other remedy. If you are changing locations, a few gallons of water with some cleaner sloshing around while traveling will normally clean the sensors, at least until they get dirty again.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Location of Tank / Sensor?

Where is the tank / sensor access if I wanted to remove it and clean it??

I know that my fresh water tank is under my bed. No clue where the other two tanks are or how to get at the sensor..
Old 12-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Mark,

Probably not a good idea to try and remove your sensors. I have an 05 Tropi and mine were sealed solid with RTV and I was not able to get them to budge.

Does the guage work for 2/3 full or other levels?? If it is just the 1/3 full sensor that is not working it could easily be dirt. I have had good luck using tank cleaners or even just cheap dishwasher soap (non-chlorine). There is an issue with foaming in the gray tank as well which could fool the sensor. The dishwasher soap has an anti-foaming agent so washing the tank and rinsing works well. I have also filled the tank about 1/3 or so full and drove with it sloshing, then emptying it and re-filling and emptying it a few times.

Internal tank sensors are notorious for these issues. The real fix is to update to external tank sensors which are around $500 for the upgrade.

Duane
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Here is a site that features replacements. I have not replaced mine but they have some information and video's as to how things work and why you get bad readings.

Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holding Tank Sensors

Capt. Mark,

my sensors were totally inaccurate as well. I had them power flushed by RV Flush and they now work well. Don't know if there is a franchise location in FLA, but you could ask Duane by calling 800-517-6977.

Untitled Document

You also have a National RV Owners club in Florida called the RV NUTS. Home. You should check them out and join them. Lots of knowledge about NRV products! Fun group too!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Alaska 6 months out of the year, as for the other 6, somewhere in the Lower 48
Using water softener when you rinse the tanks will help. It leaves the inside of the tank slick and helps prevent stuff sticking to the sensors or tank walls.

It could also be that your sensor needs to be calibrated. Your tank panel should have a pot that can be adjusted. It will be either behind the panel or there could be an access hole on the bottom of the panel.

I quit worrying about my empty and 1/3 sensors a long time ago. I watch the 2/3 and full. I have a good idea when it's time to dump. Sensors are notoriously inaccurate. I will from time to time when dumping flush the tanks until the sensors read empty just for the sake of doing it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I really like what I've read about the Horst Miracle Probes.. Have no objection to spending the $80 for both gray and black water replacements...

So, the one qustion I can't figure out.. Where are my storage tanks and how do I access them ??
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Digest It

There is a product that is made here (Denver, CO) locally that i've used for a few years now... Its called Digest-It... from a company called Unique Distributing http://www.uniquedistributing.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=23

This stuff is more than amazing, its amazatastic!!! I've turned on all my RV buddies to this product and its been truly life changing and to some a religious experience... Ok, i jest, but seriously this stuff is awesome. We had the typical problem most folks have after a few good years with an RV, all our sensors were bad..> Someone turned us on to Digest it, and we followed the instructions and bam... (maybe not BAM or all of the sudden) but the sensors started working again and we noticed that there weren’t any smells at all… Ever… We used it religiously in our old rig and will continue to use it in our new to us rig…

TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank