RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
GVWR question

This is a question about the weight rating label that is located just below the drivers window and that reports the capacity for each axle. I have a 99 gas tropical 37' with a tag axle.

The label lists 3 axle weights. Front, Intermediate and Rear. My problem stems from weights stamped under those labels. The front is pretty straight forward but the weight for the intermediate axle seems way too low and the rear axle way to high. Did National simply reverse the weight stamps on their labels? The weight for the intermediate is about 2500 lbs where as the rear is about 11000 lbs. I just find it confusing to call the tag at the rear of the coach an "intermediate axle" and the dually the rear. Anybody else have that same setup or is this a convention for all tag coaches?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
This is a question about the weight rating label that is located just below the drivers window and that reports the capacity for each axle. I have a 99 gas tropical 37' with a tag axle.

The label lists 3 axle weights. Front, Intermediate and Rear. My problem stems from weights stamped under those labels. The front is pretty straight forward but the weight for the intermediate axle seems way too low and the rear axle way to high. Did National simply reverse the weight stamps on their labels? The weight for the intermediate is about 2500 lbs where as the rear is about 11000 lbs. I just find it confusing to call the tag at the rear of the coach an "intermediate axle" and the dually the rear. Anybody else have that same setup or is this a convention for all tag coaches?
Rear are the dullies and not all have a tag, so just a matter of word recognition. Still 2500 sounds low for the tag, but then again you have a bedroom slide that maybe has already been taken into consideration.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to the owners manual provided by National, the chassis specs show the tag axle rated capacity is 2,500#. Drive axle is 11, 000#.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
According to the owners manual provided by National, the chassis specs show the tag axle rated capacity is 2,500#. Drive axle is 11, 000#.

Chuck
This is the way mine reads.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
This is the way mine reads.
Our Chevy is 4500lb. Then again the GCVW is lower than the Ford, but this I believe is only because of the transmission which GM rates lower than Ford. Whether for real or not, having each pulling some 5 mile, 6% grades should tell the story. Again, I do believe the bedroom slide has something to do with it, as there is none available with a chevy chassis. Chevy does have a good bit of CCC as a result, but again not much in the way of toad weight tolerance.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The way the label reads is what is confusing. When you have the tag, that is the last axle in the line. My natural inclination is to call that the rear axle as it is the most rearward on the chassis. However my label has apparently swapped the weights around and calls the tag axle the "intermediate" axle. So when you look at the label, it just seems wrong. I don't have the owners manual to refer to so I just wanted to make sure that in swapping the numbers around, that I was in fact doing the right thing. I haven't really come close to exceeding my GVWR or any of the axle weights so it is just one of those niggley little things that tends to play on the mind.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My mistake. My tag axle is rated at 4500# GAWR.
The odd thing, which I only caught this year, is if you add up the 3 GAWR's, your over the GVWR by 2000#.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My mistake. My tag axle is rated at 4500# GAWR.
The odd thing, which I only caught this year, is if you add up the 3 GAWR's, your over the GVWR by 2000#.
Thing is that everyone isn't going to load things evenly so if one is loaded to max, then the others must have less. Again, I'm good and there's a lot of CCC with the Chevy, but really poor with it's GCVWR. I mean if you're loaded to the max of 19500, then that only leaves 1500lb for the toad. Most will not be loaded that heavy, but still can't pull much without some overload. The rig is plenty sound enough for it, except for the tranny, so one must be careful. Climbing the steep ones in low gear at 25mph solves the problem, as this allows for a 25% overload.
Naturally and luckily this isn't a common an everyday occurrence.