RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Height question, trying again

My 2004 Seabreeze 1341 is currently in airport parking, got in with no issues, nothing overhead, but exit toll booth has clearance of 12'4" posted. I return home tonight and am not sure if I've got a problem clearing, spec sheet says motorhome height is 11'9", not specific if that includes A/C's. Can someone please help me with height info. I do not need instructions on how to measure, looking for info.
Assume it does include A/C since they list my model overall height of 11'9" but the list w/satellite option as 12'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
My 2004 Seabreeze 1341 is currently in airport parking, got in with no issues, nothing overhead, but exit toll booth has clearance of 12'4" posted. I return home tonight and am not sure if I've got a problem clearing, spec sheet says motorhome height is 11'9", not specific if that includes A/C's. Can someone please help me with height info. I do not need instructions on how to measure, looking for info.
I had a 1996 Seabreeze, and it measured just under 12' at the top of the AC units.

The best you can do is either ask for an alternate exit, or stop just before the low point, get out and look....

Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I say, go for it. If you aren't willing to get out there to measure it yourself, take a chance and listen to us.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clearance can vary depending on your wheelbase (if the overhead object is measured over a dip in the roadway, for example). Also can vary if their was a repaving done raising the roadway a few inches. You are right to be very careful.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

For what it's worth, my Sea View brochure lists its overall height as 11'-9" including the A/C - more with a dome style dish. My shop's RV bay is a measured 12'-1" high and while I haven't measured the actual clearance, it fits under the opening with what appears to be about 4" of clearance.

Like you I was very cautious about the clearance the first time backing it in.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Assume it does include A/C since they list my model overall height of 11'9" but the list w/satellite option as 12'.
trode
I don't understand your question.

Info on "spec sheets", (and/or "brochures"), can't be trusted, (especially if/when you can't understand what they actually mean).
Since you "do not need instructions on how to measure"...I suggest you measure your rig, (from the ground to the top of the tallest component on your roof).

IMO that is the only way to determine the actual overall height of your particular rig!

BTW, it seems that you're reluctant to simply measure your rig
Why is that?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
I say, go for it. If you aren't willing to get out there to measure it yourself, take a chance and listen to us.
Looking for help, not sarcastic criticism, are getting in at near midnight, was looking for real assistance so thanks for being a......
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Quote:
Looking for help, not sarcastic criticism, are getting in at near midnight, was looking for real assistance so thanks for being a......
Rick 2005 Dolphin is correct, you can or could measure it, how long have you had it?

We parked our toy hauler in the driveway hooked to the truck and measured it, we know our height.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's difficult to ask a simple question for fear of getting brow beat and getting smart azz answers.
I can understand getting in on a flight around midnight and not wanting to climb on top to measure but I would. That is the only way to know.
BUT I can understand asking to see if anyone else has done the work before me, just out of curiosity and something less to think about in flight.
The result of inquisitiveness is, you still don't have a clue AND you have to stew over the smart azz answers you received on here. From Senior Members no less.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
trode
I don't understand your question.

Info on "spec sheets", (and/or "brochures"), can't be trusted, (especially if/when you can't understand what they actually mean).
Since you "do not need instructions on how to measure"...I suggest you measure your rig, (from the ground to the top of the tallest component on your roof).

IMO that is the only way to determine the actual overall height of your particular rig!

BTW, it seems that you're reluctant to simply measure your rig
Why is that?
Mel

'96 Safari
Didn't mean to confuse, spec sheet as found online for my year, make and model as published by National, lists "overall height" as 11'9". Then says "with satellite option" 12'2".
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg6746 View Post
It's difficult to ask a simple question for fear of getting brow beat and getting smart azz answers.
I can understand getting in on a flight around midnight and not wanting to climb on top to measure but I would. That is the only way to know.
BUT I can understand asking to see if anyone else has done the work before me, just out of curiosity and something less to think about in flight.
The result of inquisitiveness is, you still don't have a clue AND you have to stew over the smart azz answers you received on here. From Senior Members no less.
Is it really a smart azz answer? Shouldn't you know how tall the truck, trailer, boat, whatever you are in control of is?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
When I first bought my coach, one of the first things I did was to measure all the vital statistics, length, width, (width with mirrors), height to the top of the sat dome, (height to the top of antennas) and weight. My coach is too expensive to rely on someone else, or a manual. I want to KNOW what I'm getting into. Just Saying!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Didn't mean to confuse, spec sheet as found online for my year, make and model as published by National, lists "overall height" as 11'9". Then says "with satellite option" 12'2".
trode
Even though the "spec sheet published by National, as found online", lists the "overall height" of a rig "like yours", the only way to determine the "exact overall height" of your "particular rig" is by measuring it.

Much like the advertising hype "Tastes Great" printed on snack food packages.....the only way to actually know how the snack "tastes" is to taste it!

If you see that, (and my other posts on this thread), as "smart azz answers", I apologize for offending you.. (and I'm sorry I wasted my time, and yours).

Mel
Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Got out and....

had no issue. But am now considering dropping out of this forum based on the type of responses received on this relatively simple question. I originally liked this forum because I was able to exchange USEFUL information with other owners. I have been to many others that were nothing but bitch sessions about things. Even went so far as to commit to financial support to it.

So far what I found out from this posting is, I am stupid, and should have gotten out a micrometer and personally measured my clearances to within a 32nd of an inch before I ever drove it, like all you clearly have done, and not rely at all on the manufacturers information.

I was once told that there are no stupid questions, boy were they wrong. What they should have told me is there are an abundance of useless answers to any question, full of critical remarks, thanks.

As far as manufacturer specification sheets go, I guess you are all of the opinion that they are full of incorrect and/or unreliable information. So I gather you have filled and drained all you tanks to verify the "unreliable" capacity information contained on the manufacturer spec sheet, measured your wheels to see if they are really 19.5", and so on.

My original question, "anyone know if height on spec sheet included the a/c units", was fairly simple. Since given that was so, I was then dealing with a clearance difference of 7 plus inches and would not have worried about it, but thanks for making me feel like a jack-ass.

Closed Thread