Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Help!! Bad Batteries or What??

The other day I was trying to relevel the MH, but the jacks wouldn't move. Today as we get ready to hit the road, my genny wouldn't start, it just slowly tried to start even with the start boost. Then as I was hooking up the car the propane detector started beeping, just one beep every so often. Then I noticed the fridge had not switched over from AC to Gas so I quickly turned the propane tank off. We pulled back into full hook-ups and after I plugged into the 50 amp I tried to level the MH and "BINGO" the jacks worked. Then I went out and turned on the propane tank, the stove worked, the water heater fired up and I switched the fridge over to gas and it worked. Oh yeah, the propane detector stopped the occasional beep. I decided to try the genny, well it was barely cranking and when I stopped trying to start it, it kept trying to turn over, almost like a low battery. The only way it would stop was for me to turn off the battery disconnect switch by the front door.
Got a guy coming tomorrow, but I've been thinking could all of this be contributed to bad batteries and if so which ones? The 4 six Volt coach or the two 12 V starter batteries. Any one ever experience this before? I can see on the Heart Interface that My DC volts are at 12.5 and the DC amps are showing <10, but it just jumped to 10.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

Joe-

Your house batteries are dead. the open question is "Why?" There are several usual causes, only one of which is that the batteries are "bad."

If they are too low, the charging circuits may not work. A common recommendation is to put a stand-alone battery charger on them until they get above a certain voltage (I seem to think something like 11.5V, but could be incorrect). Once past that level, they should take a charge from the usual sources (alternator, shore power, generator). This assumes that any of those are working correctly. The fact that things worked when plugged into shore power tells me that the converter function of your inverter/charge is likely working. The charger function, maybe not.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I did find one of the golf cart 6 v batteries warm to the touch while the other 3 were not warm. Could they have seen there useful life? Got a guy coming tomorrow, can the batteries be checked without disconnecting all the cables? If I disconnect the batteries there will be no a/c for the wife.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I did find one of the golf cart 6 v batteries warm to the touch while the other 3 were not warm. Could they have seen there useful life? Got a guy coming tomorrow, can the batteries be checked without disconnecting all the cables? If I disconnect the batteries there will be no a/c for the wife.
That would have me thinking 4 new house batteries. See what your guy says but be prepared.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

How old are the house batteries? Are they the kind that take water? Have you checked the water level and specific gravity in each cell (lately)?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I'm thinking they are around 6 or 7 years old, bought them at Sam's Club. I installed the auto water feeders and check them each month by squeezing the bulb to pump water in. Which batteries start the generator, house 6v (4) or the 2 12v starter batteries??
Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

As far as I know, the generator in most coaches starts from the house batteries.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

If you get 5 years from a battery you did good . 3 years is average for best power.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I found my 12V starter Batteries receipt, Apr 16 2012=5 years.

Do any of you have a Freedom Inverter/Charger?? On my remote control panel on the wall, should the Invert be on while on shore power and also while driving down the road?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Batteries

Your inverter does not need to be turned on unless you have an actual need for power. I have used power share on occasion when staying at remote locations with only 20 amp power and no genie rules at night (no AC). Clean your main grounds where they attach to the frame and check the cables closely for cracks. I have replaced mine twice now. May want to closely check your house battery rack too if you replace your batteries. Might as well check your oil reservoir for your jacks looking for cracks in welds and supporting brackets. I have seen more than one fall off in older diesel NRVs mostly 99 -02s.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Whaler, been there done that on the reservoir. It won't do it again. From what I've looked at I think it's the 4 6v golf cart batteries, heading to Sam's club.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Well it turns out the batteries (4 6 v Golf Cart) were bad. Everything is up and running. I've learned a lot from this experience, surprising that the Propane detector will beep occasionally when house batteries are real low, also that the propane will not feed to the fridge, water heater and stove if house batteries are shot. Yes, my generator is started by the house batteries. My old batteries were dated July 2011, not bad 6 years usage.

So thanks to all who responded to my request for info. Really appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

Keep distilled water handy and yes your gas valves need power to open 👍
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe, the propane detector went off because of the odor and gases put out by the bad battery or batteries. They get hot and sometimes boil. I've had that happen twice. Once because of a bad house battery and once because of the chassis battery going bad.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries