Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Help, bedroom slide won't extend out. Need help!?

I have a bedroom slide that will only go out about 2 inches then you hear grinding noises. Slides are electric. Assuming it is a gear stripping. Can you extend and retract the slide manually? How? I have a 2007 sea breeze 8311 lx. Any help or ideas appreciated!
Goldseabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Update, slide is fully retracted. Slept on a short bed. DW, not happy. All travel plans up in air. Of coarse the manuals are in cupboard in slide we can't get to. We live in a small town with limited rv services. Any ideas what to tell the mechanic? Any way to extend the bedroom slide?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you can get the bed to clear the closet lip, lift the bed up and after you remove all the junk that is being stored underneith, there is a false floor that you will be able to lift up and out! You will now be able to see and access the slide motor/gear and slides! You will probably then also see some stripped or broken gears...
Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Thanks! Any idea on how to get the slide out? Only way the Dw and I can think of is to push the posts on the slide by the bed while someone turns the slide key and pushes the button. Hopefully it might budge.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
If you are unable to move the bed back by the means that you discribed, you will have to lift the mattress up and out and get it out of the way and then you will probably have enough room to lift the bed platform up! You should then be able to remove the false floor panel, unlock the brake and spin the driveshaft with a wrench to open the slide! Then you can have some room to work...
Old 06-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the help Bill! Had to take the mattress out and remove the deck and false floor. The motor had broken off its mounting and was lying beside the centre slide track. Will order new parts and install them. Now to find who to order from. Hope they are universal parts and easy to find. Don
Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Most certainly! Don't know about where to get the parts, hope it's a long while before I will be needing them myself...
Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will need to determine if the slide system is POWERGEAR or RBW, both manufactures have been sold and have new names. Good news is that the new ones have web sites, just search under the old names and you will find them.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
You are correct Richard!

My coach is a 2007 8311 Sea Breeze LX presumably just like Don's and my slider stuff is all POWERGEAR so there is a chance Don's MAY be also!

Is this when you say that your 2007 8321 is equiped RBW slider stuff and ruin my theroy?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't want to cast gloom on your problem, but you are probably in for a wait on parts. If your slide is Powergear, you'll have to find an RV facility that is an authorized Powergear dealer. They will have to order the part for you. Powergear will not sell direct to you. You'll need the motor number. Powergear does not keep the motors in any inventory. They build them for each separate order. I went through this senario when my dinette slide motor needed replacing a few years ago. The website should list authorized dealers in your area. They are very pricey. Stand by for some sticker price shock.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 07 8321 LX Seabreeze was equipped with POWERGEAR for both slides. But from 04 to 06 National RV used both PG and RBW and did some mix match and a few 07 motorhomes got left overs. Had to replace my bedroom slide motor and gear box, gear box cracked and split. When I replaced my motor I had to add 1/4 inch shim (filler) to the base of the motor so when it was bolted to the floor it would not pull the center rail down. Motor/gear box assembly was about 500.00
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found quite a few Power Gear parts on ebay... just type it in the part and the part number...

for example...

Power Gear 523983 RV Slide Out Motor Replaces 522176 Lippert 383745 | eBay
MrTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As you can see there is a wide range of pricing. Is this one new? Doesn't say if new or used. Verify which P/N you need, should be on the motor

Power Gear 523900 RV Slide Out Motor Maxi Torque Dual Shaft Without Pin | eBay
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, slide