Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Help! Brake Lights don't work on '01 Islander

I've replaced the fuse marked brake lights and they still don't light up. I've tried it with exhaust switch on and off. I've tried with coach running. Still nothing. They were working. Does anyone know if I'm missing a secondary fuse panel? Maybe a relay? I read something about a possible fuse on the brake pedal??
I don't know what else to try. Any suggesstions would be very appreciated.
BTW now the 6 pin tow lights don't work either. I think there must be another fuse somewhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
How good is your ground connection? Have you relied on trailer hitch to provide ground?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
had a problem like that on my chevy pick up- pulled the bulb and cleaned it and the socket - reinstalled and it worked. I gently used a fine grit sand paper - FWIW
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'll give the sandpaper a try, but the tail lights, and turn signal do light up, but not the brake light.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #5

brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhartley View Post
I'll give the sandpaper a try, but the tail lights, and turn signal do light up, but not the brake light.
Pull your generator forward, on the drivers side, you will see round (I wish I could think of the right terminology) items with terminals. One controls your brake lights, when you put on your brakes a contact is made, the same on your car, it is on your brake pedal. This is where I installed my brake system for my toad. Check it out, could be something is amiss there. If you have all the owners manuals there is a wiring schematic in the Country Coach chassis book, you can trace it down there.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Retireblade,
Great! That's something I didn't know about. I'll check it out. I do have the manuals and will look at the wiring diagram.
I've read some of your other posts. Really looking forward to sharing more about our Islanders.
Don
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
the brake lights went out on my 01 islander as well. was on the trip home from picking it up. i found that for whatever reason, that when i pulled out the gen section and wiggled the headlight wiring, the tail lights started working. havent looked at any diagram so i assume the rear lights are routed or at least grounded thru the headlights. try making sure of good connection at headlights.
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

brake lights

I've found through out the years that a clean grounding point is essential, for years I 1994 chevy pickup had a mild miss, I went through lots of tests even replaced some parts, finally the last item was clean the ground point and it was on the block of the engine, after that, no problem.
Remember years ago cars had a pressure switch on the master brake reservoir with two terminals with two wires, you would put on your brakes and the fluid would press and electrical contact and your brake lights would go on. The same with the Islander setup except it's air and a little more complicated, it's good to have a schematic which eliminate a lot of testing.
Hope you all fine the problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Well, turns out that the covers marking which fuses are which, were reversed. I pulled the next to the last fuse on the bottom set and found it burned out. Yepee! Brake lights work, but I'm still don't have turn signals. Hazards work though.
How do you get that gen set open? I can't locate the locking lever.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #10

fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhartley View Post
Well, turns out that the covers marking which fuses are which, were reversed. I pulled the next to the last fuse on the bottom set and found it burned out. Yepee! Brake lights work, but I'm still don't have turn signals. Hazards work though.
How do you get that gen set open? I can't locate the locking lever.
To get to your generator, pull down your front license plate holder, it covers a square hole, the top of the hole, inside you will feel a handle, squeeze it, the whole front end will unlatch, pull forward. While your in there, might as well check the coolant and oil in generator, has the generator oil been changed lately? When I got my Islander, I changed all the fluids and filters, I do it faithfully every October, with exception of generator, since it doesn't get used much. Every month, I run the gen for a hour of exercise along with the main engine for a half hour. Also, when you pull the gen forward you will see on the right three air valves, they recommend you drain them, I do after every exercise and when I get to where I am going and set up. I'm not trying to be smart but I recommend you get all you owners manuals and go through them, there is a lot of things in there you should know. Feel free to pm me if you need some info. That is the reason I joined IRV2 because I got some good info from National owners.
ps, the turn signal blinker fuse, it is round and I think blue, is in the same compartment.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #11

I had a similar problem with my tradewinds. Wound up being the turn signal switch connector in the steering column. With the wheel tilted up - they worked. When tilted down, the connector would separate slightly, breaking the connection. Pull the shroud off your steering column and give it a look. Don't cost anything to check!!!
alandbarbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, lights