Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Help Fuel Pump/Sender

Ok So, a new choke was installed into my 1999 Dolphin Gas Generator, Generac 5500. Now they tell me that they think that the sending unit in the gas tank may not be working correctly.
They can get the geny to start but will cut off. They hook the fuel line into a separate gas tank and it works fine.
The unit says it has a little less than half a tank of gas. They are putting 30 gallons in it.
Since the motor runs fine, could the sending unit be bad?
I believe the hose that feeds the geny has been pulled up/out of the gas tank some or it has broken inside the tank itself because the geny would turn off when the gas hand showed a little less than half a tank.
If I want to check the fuel line going to my geny, how would I proceed? Does anyone have a pic of the area of the fuel tank and the geny's fuel line to check it out? Or how to trace it down?
Don't want a $500 bill to run a new fuel line that I can do myself.
How to check the sending unit to see if it's working ok and the fuel tank shows half a tank, it really does have a half a tank?

Thanks.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

The gen set fuel pick up doesn't go as low in the tank as the engine pick up , so the gen set can't run you out of fuel if you're boondocking.

Usually the gen set will run down to 1/3 >1/4 tank , before the pick up draws air in.

To find your fuel tank capacity , you'll need to know the chassis manufacturer.
Have you had the coach long ?
Ever filled the tank when the gauge read 1/2 tank?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not the sending unit. Your problems is the rubber fuel line from the tank to the generstor. It is a very common problem. The line gets cracks in it and allowing air in and generator starves for fuel. Need to drop tank to replace line at tank.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Yes. If I don't fill up at 1/2 tank of gas, my generator will stop running. Fill-er Up and it works.
I was thinking of locating the fuel line to the motor and t-ing off that line to run to the geny. Of course the RV mechanic said that the motor fuel line had between 30 and 40 psi going to it and it would flood the geny. Gas would flow out of the carburetor.

What say the experts? Should I t-off or drop the tank?

How hard and has anyone dropped their gas tank to check to see if the hose for the geny has been pulled up some to stop running at a 1/2 tank or if the hose inside the tank has broken off?

Step by step instructions would be great.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Oh yea. Its a ford chassis.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The mechanic also said that they could not replace the electronic board that made the choke come on by itself and showed me how to put the choke on manually.
Don't sound good to me.
They only use a place called ASAP for technical information and parts only.
It is a generac 5500.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post
I was thinking of locating the fuel line to the motor and t-ing off that line to run to the geny. Of course the RV mechanic said that the motor fuel line had between 30 and 40 psi going to it and it would flood the geny. Gas would flow out of the carburetor.
Thanks everyone.
The fuel line to the engine only has pressure/flow, when the engine is running; I doubt that even if the genset carb didn't flood, when the engine was running that the gen set fuel pump could draw any fuel through the engines electric, in tank, pump, when the engine wasn't running.
If you plan on dropping the tank, you'll need it empty, they are far to awkward to handle with more than a few gallons in them.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your mechanic is correct you can not connect to the fuel line to the engine. The engine fuel pump is in the tank and there in nothing to stop the high pressure fuel from going through the generator fuel pump or carburetor . The generator fuel supply hose does not go into the tank it connects to a dip tube. It is best to remove as much fuel as you can before dropping the tank. There have been a few post's with pictures of dropping the tank. Could try searching for generator fuel line.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check post #6 of this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/gas-...al-210783.html
Old 09-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Looks good. I think I may attempt the tank lowering and replace the rubber hose with copper lines at least to the frame and then back to rubber.
Of course while I have the tank down I will replace the fuel pump and hopefully find out why I only get to 1/2 tank of fuel before the genset stops running.
Thanks to all for the insight. I downloaded a copy of the picture of the fuel tank after it was dropped down. I believe I can accomplish this myself. If not, then I will pay someone to repair my screw-up.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do it yourself be very careful removing the small nuts, if that's what you have, retaining the sending unit/pump to the tank. Soak them several times with good penetrating lube, especially if they are rusty. Use hand tools only. It is easy to break off the small studs on the tank. You should be able to handle it, just go slow dropping the tank. I liked the idea using reacket straps as a safety net while lowering the tank of one the posters in that thread used.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

yn1bennett
Here is my 2 cents on your problem. I have been through this as many others on this forum. You are getting good info on the primary suspect being the rubber line between fuel tank and genny. I believe the reason it runs OK on the top half of the tank is all about the fuel level in the tank relative to genny fuel pump. If it's higher, gravity will do the work of keeping it primed. As fuel level drops in tank, pump has to pull fuel from tank and the cracks in the rubber line allow air in and pump looses it's prime. I doubt you have a problem inside fuel tank. If it ain't broke .......

I have the same tag axle 1999 Dolphin and the job of replacing the rubber line can be easily done without completely dropping the tank. Here's how: Tank less than 1/4 full. Support rear end of tank with floor jack. Remove all tank support bolts except 2 lower front ones. Disconnect filler and vent hoses at tank. Cap the filler and vent pipes to contain fumes. Lower rear of tank enough to crawl up and replace rubber hose. Tank fitting may be plastic, so carefully cutting the old line off may be the best option to not break the fitting. Raise tank carefully so as not to dislodge retaining nuts in the frame.

Hope this helps. Good Luck
Capt. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait until it gets cooler down here in Florida. Hopefully it won't get cold.
I will attempt the tank thing.

Also the Choke thing. The mechanic changed out the choke on my generator but said he could not get the solenoid because ASAP did not have it.
I saw a similar solenoid at ASAP and ordered it. My choke has a hole to place a cotter pin in it and the one I ordered has a "U" to connect to the choke. I may have to remove the choke and drill a hole or something when I get a chance to do this job. I don't mind having to press the choke manually, just, when it gets cooler, it may give me a problem.
I will see what the future brings. May be manually advancing the choke myself.

Thanks everyone for your input.

This Forum is AMAZING!!! With AMAZING People!!!

Tags
fuel