RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, unfortunately, your slide is just like mine. It moves on skids not rollers. The reason for this is this slide is called a "flush slide". Great idea on carpet as it almost rests flush with the main floor when extended. The main problem is that it works great with carpet on the floor because the carpet "deforms" and allows the skids and even the slide bottom to move over the carpet. When we try to put a hard surface down in place of the soft carpet with this type of slide the surface will be scratched. Mine started out being scratched by the screw heads but over time other smaller scratches appear from where the fiberglass slide bottom rests on the laminate flooring when traveling and when moving the slide in and out. Unless you are prepared to live with the scratches and cover them up with area rugs like we did (which is a good idea anyway with laminate as it will scratch from sand on the floor, rocks in your shoe soles or dogs claws) I'd suggest just going back to carpet. The leading edge of laminate and even ceramic tile when used with this type of slide is also problematic due to the hard square edge of the new flooring meeting the skids and leading fiberglass edge of the bottom of the slide out. I know from experience after tearing up the fiberglass on one corner of my slide out bottom and having to repair that.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Here's a pic, need 15'.
That just looks like standard "D" Strip. While I can't determine the dimensions of it from your pic, I recently purchased some 8' lengths of "D" Strip from NAPA to reseal one of my compartment doors.

Another possible source you might look at would be Simolex Rubber Corporation. Even if they don't sell retail they may be able to put you in touch with someone who does.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Craig, I sent them the pic of my seal. They do have a couple that look like they might work.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #32

plastic slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Suggestion for 3/4 inch plastic stock...that plastic cutting board material. West Marine, a kitchen store, restaurant supply. Super slick, probably better than original.

Good luck. Plan Z...RUN!!!
I agree, as I posted a while ago, the middle of my slid was sagging when it was pulled in. To alleviate that, I went on Ebay and found a little company who sells plastic and nylon stocks of every shape. I bought a 4" dia. 5" long piece of white nylon. I cut it on my band saw about 3/4", then on my router table I rounded one edge. Then when the slid was at it's highest point I put epoxy glue on the "puck" and placed it under the slide floor, already testing it "dry" to make sure it worked, then from the top of the floor, seeing I was going to put in a new floor covering, ran a screw down from the top to make sure it stayed put, works great, no sag.
Joe, if you can put round "pucks" fine long nylon stock. (American ingenuity) always figures out a way to over come, with all these suggestions, you will over come.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Sam, I thought about doing that after i read your post but my slide drops down and sits even with the MH floor. What chassis is your Islander on?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Dan, was it the rear corner that got damaged?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #35

slides

Quote:
Sam, I thought about doing that after i read your post but my slide drops down and sits even with the MH floor. What chassis is your Islander on?
My chassis is a Country Coach Dynamax, the room slide has about nearly a inch from the floor. when I took the carpet out I could see clearing what the slide was riding on. I guess you'll have to get some nylon that is thinner, about the thickness of the plastic you took out.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Dan, was it the rear corner that got damaged?
Yes.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Mine is too. It looks like water damage, so I cleaned out under the fiberglass and shot some Gorilla glue in it. This is the area where I lost the black plastic skid. I just bought some carpet and pad at Lowes and intend to install it like it was from factory. It will only be laid to the end of the slide when it's in. Where I broke the skid I'm going to install some black plastic I picked up from the Plastics Fabricator. I'm hoping to screw it to the metal angle and let it run under and past where the metal meets the fiberglass. I may have to buy a heat gun from Harbor freight to get it to bend. The piece I bought is the same material as what National used.

BTW, I know how to tighten up the screws on the skids now. Let the slide come in on a piece of 3/4 wood and this should give you enough room to use a offset screwdriver to tighten the screws.

When and IF I ever buy another MH, the first thing I'm looking at will be how the slides move in and out over the floor. Too bad I didn't buy the LTC, it's on the Country Coach chassis and moves on rollers.