Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Question Holding Tanks Odor & Sensor Problems

Full timing and having problems with odors and sensors in the holding tanks. I am trying out something different that I have been checking out on youtube. TankTechs RX ProBiotic liquid. TankTechs Rx FAQ's | TankTechsRX

I have not had my tanks pressure cleaned as they show in their videos, but I rinsed the black tank out really good and started to use their product as explained in the FAQ about " How do I Apply it... IN A USED TANK WITH MISREADING SENSORS WHEN RV IS CURRENTLY IN USE."

I have tried lots of other products, (and have replaced the vent cap on the roof with a 360 Siphon), and this looks like it might have some promise...

I'll monitor it and let y'all know how it goes...

If you have used this product, Please chime in and let me know how it worked for you

Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I am curious about your new procedure. I followed a thread (use the search engine on this site and look for the GEO Method) and it has worked very well. I also added the 360-degree vent, which helped get rid of the odor while driving, especially in hot weather. Good luck, I look forward to your updates! Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stand-by......

Ha......I've had a couple of drinks, after fighting with the USPS about mail delivery half the day.....so , I'm gonna give you a valuable, self learned perky answer. First, forget about the sensors. They never work accurately. Why? Well, when you understand the theory of how they work, then you will understand why they don't work, considering the environment they are in. About the bad smell....let's face it, stih stinks, even yours and your wife's! The holding tank MUST remain mostly "liquid" without clogging up the drain system. How does it stay "liquid"? Bacteria at work! When Bacteria works, they give off Methane and other BAD smells. You stop the Bacteria from working with additives and perfumes, you will eventually get a CLOGGED tank! And, trust me, you do not want a clogged tank! It's your choice! My routine.....I never add anything (save your money), drain your tank when it's about half full. Listen to the sounds when flushing....you will know when it's time to drain. Never leave the flush valve open more than 3 seconds....stops the gasses from rising. Clean the bowl with a good Johnny brush and quickly flush. Keep that trap CLOSED! Works for me! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water, Water, Water. Use PLENTY of water when flushing. The only thing I've done, bedside using plenty of water is to dissolve cascade, or whatever dishwasher detergent you use, dissolved in a couple of gallons of HOT water in both holding tanks, drive around a bit to get the detergent to do it's thing then drain. The worse thing you can do, imho, is not use enough water. Good luck!

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We haven't used the RV tank treatments for a few years with no tank odors. We use the same TP as in the S&B, Charmin never had a blockage just use plenty of water when you flush. We use the GEO Method, except I buy cheap laundry and dishwasher detergent at the $.99 store or Dollar store. When I dump my black tank I always use the tank flusher for at least 5 minutes or until the water runs clear as seen through the clear fitting I have. As a plus my tank level sensors read correct most of the time. Before we leave for a trip I alway add some water to the tanks and detergents so they get mixed while traveling. Below is the link to the original GEO Method write up.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/the-g...nce-17957.html

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks...

Ok Thanks for the info folks.

Richard

Tags
odor, tank