Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Hole in oil pan

read all the threads about oil from the slobber tube. This is my experience to maybe help somebody.I had a lot of oil coming out of somewhere. Thought it nmay be from the oil breather.So I got uinder the MH cleaned the oil away to see what my poblem was.( BTW I had an oil and filter change done in Chicago before I brought the coach home. My luck the service dealer overfilled the engine with oil so I thought the oil is getting thrown out through the breather tube.) I idled the MH in my driveway and after a few minutes I crawled under to see what was going on with the oil. Well surprise.I found a very small hole in the oil pan.So when driving, the pressure buidlup in the crankcase pushed the the oil out through the hole and made quite a mess. A new oil pan and two hours of work corrected this problem. The hole was no bigger than half the size of a pin head. Apparently the older cat oil pans have a real rust problem.Could have repaired the hole but did not want to take a chance getting another hole.
just for what it,s worth. Cheers
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to hfein1
short term emergency fix: get a small sheet-metal screw put a rubber O-ring on it and screw it in the pin hole.
hfein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

I see you finally crossed the border again back home into Canada. how is Carol doing? you 2 were very (shall i say) entertaining to be around. Irene & I still think of you two often.

did you receive the pictures i sent yet? i put your favorite pictures 1st--cinnamon buns!!!!

be safe in your travels wherever you 2 go next.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #4

Cinnamon buns

Hey two slides ;nice to see you on my thread. Thanks for the pictures. We sure had a good time. Nice to meeet you Two. Hope you survived the storm. So sad for all the people that did not. Hope we can get together sometime. We will call you. Cheers and be tough ;Gerald and Carole
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gerald, how hard was the job of replacing that pan and cost? Mine has the rust problem but so far no leaks. I cleaned it a couple years ago and applied Rustoleum but it still makes me wonder.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

Hi Vegasdan; The replacement of the oilpan is relatively easy. The hardest part was to get the oilpan to drop on the rear part because the radiator pipe wich is made from metal want bend and it runs right under the pan;however the couplings on each side are rubber and therefore you get some play. If you look at it you will be able to manipulate the pan and get it out. I did not want to remove the pipe because you will loose most of your antifreeze. The cost of the oilpan is probably something that will scare some people ( $550.00 plus $ 45.00 for the gasket ) Be mindful this is Canadian and we always pay more than you guys. I like to be proactive and hate to break down on the road. A service garage would charge you quiet a bit more. Th pan rusted from the outside in,so I will suggest future problems would have been on the horizon. The pan was as clean as a whistle on the inside no sludge or particles of anykind which I like. Good luck if you are going ahead with the job. Cheers Gerald