Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Hot water electric problem

Help, I have a National Sea Breeze 30' 2001 class A
I replaced the electric heater in my hot water tank, when I started I touched a wire (white) and got a spark plus a little jolt to.
I unplugged the 110 from the house. Now that I have it all back together I do not have any hot water yet (1 hour) so I guess I popped a breaker or fuse. Problem is I do not know where the breaker or fuse is. I checked the panel that has 20 some fuses and could not find a burnt one.
I really need to know the number of the fuse.
Help!
Thanks
Chuck
fl rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have your coach schematics to answer your which breaker question. However, I hope you filled the tank with water before turning it on, and opened a faucet to purge out the air. Else, the element would get hot and burn itself out since it didn't have the water surrounding it.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Yes! I did. I have heard so much about it and how it would burn out.
This electric really has me stumped.
Thank you for your reply.
Chuck
Old 10-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have any idea where your electric box is but I am sure that it is a breaker that you are looking for. Hot water heaters electric run on 120 volt AC power to heat the water. Alvin
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Just throwing this out there. On my coach there is a breaker box with two breakers under the sink on the left side. On mine the breaker closest to you is the hot water heater breaker. There is also a small rocker switch on the junction box on my hot water heater.Your's may be different. Good luck.
NinePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

Heater

X2 on under sink location of breaker and switch. On the knee job to turn on/off plus reaching through the cutout to activate.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You did not mention the model of heater. If it's a Suburban/Atwood, there is a reset switch on the heater near the gas valve. You have to press both breakers at the same time to reset.
Good luck.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
YC1

You should be looking for a breaker and not a fuse. The fuses are for 12 volts. That said, often 12 volts is used to operate a relay that controls the 110 volts. Turn your AC breakers off and press them hard to the off position and then reset them. Once can trip and not look like it. Getting a jolt is a clue but it is possible to get a tingle from a 12 volt relay that is energized or de-energized.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 120 V breaker panel in my 99 Dolphin is in the bedroom at the base of the cabinet the TV is in. It is behind a small door. My Atwood water heater also has a push botton breaker on the back of the heater. I believe that button is only for over temperature but not sure.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Hot water electric problem

Thanks for all your replays.
I found the breaker, when I turn the breaker off the light on the switch dims but is still on.
Can't figure this out. Shouldn't the light go out????
When I turn the breaker on it gets brighter. Being its 110 I need an electric guy to look at it. His testers will find out what is wrong.
It could be the breaker itself.
If I push down on the ON side of a rocker switch is that ON?
Or if the off side is up is it off? I know this is a dumb question but
I called 2 RV places and got 2 different ans.
Thanks again
Chuck
Old 10-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 99 Dolphin when the off is pushed in the 120 V is off and the switch is lighted. When the on is pushed in the the 120 V is on and the light is off.
This is the type of switch I have for the water heater element.

Leviton Decora 15 Amp Illuminated Switch, White-R72-05611-2WS - The Home Depot
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl rv guy View Post
Thanks for all your replays.
I found the breaker, when I turn the breaker off the light on the switch dims but is still on.
Can't figure this out. Shouldn't the light go out????
When I turn the breaker on it gets brighter. Being its 110 I need an electric guy to look at it. His testers will find out what is wrong.
It could be the breaker itself.
If I push down on the ON side of a rocker switch is that ON?
Or if the off side is up is it off? I know this is a dumb question but
I called 2 RV places and got 2 different ans.
Thanks again
Chuck

It sure would help clear up things a bit of you would just post BRAND/MODEL of water heater.....at least BRAND

2001 Atwood used separate controls/circuits for 120V AC electric element and 12V DC propane
120V AC was direct feed from 120V AC Circuit Breaker to ON/OFF switch to -tstat to element
ON/OFF switch and t-stat on backside of WH Tank ...cover for element'---HI temp t-stat resettable

Suburban also used (still do) separate controls
120V AC to OEM ON/OFF Switch in outside compartment (lower left corner) to t-stats to element
T-stats under rubber cover (Push to Reset) above gas valve
Reset is for HI Temp t-stat

LEFT Side.....120V AC Hi Temp T-stat
RIGHT Side....12V DC Hi Temp T-stat
(Only have to reset one that is tripped...electric or propane)

SO.....
OP is electric element in outside compartment under gas valve (Suburban)
or is electric element inside rv on backside of water heater tank (Atwood)
????????

ON/OFF Switch

IF the word 'on' is below rocker switch then ON is DOWN

IF rocker is marked with an 'I' ---'O' then when 'I' is pushed in it is ON

And unless RV Mfg added an additional ON/OFF rocker for electric the ON/OFF with Light is for PROPANE
Electric is 'local'.....Suburban/outside compartment & Atwood/on backside of water heater where element is (2003/older models----2004/newer have switch inside with gas on/off switch)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National RV installed Atwood water heaters.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

Guess OP got HOT water.............??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, water