Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
We are in Good Sam ERS. As far as I can tell they will NOT remove your flat, dismount from wheel, patch/plug, remount on wheel and put back on RV. They WILL be happy to change a existing, mounted tire on a wheel.

If you have a flat in the rear.....and no ready-to-go mounted spare....they tell me you can't be towed. The one remaining dually will be damaged. They will be happy to furnish a tire/wheel....at my expense.....but only during working hours.

Is what I am hearing correct?
I don't know anything about Good Sam----but from what you describe then you would need more than one tire if what a previous respondent said is true all the rims are different---and I think they are. I think I might shop for another plan-------

Or as others suggest just carry a tire that can be mounted. Even though I do not do this I can certainly see some merit. I'm a little jaded in this conversation because I have never had tire problems on the RV nine years running (I get new ones this year)---but I have also taken very good care to watch inflation etc; to try to avoid problems.

Certainly one thing I would expose myself to is getting towed and being waylaid until the right size tire could be found. But, at least to my thinking, the chances are remote----so I just realize I can not be prepared for every single possible thing that might go wrong---and do what I can to use preventative measures to lesson the possibility. So far so good for us---we have avoided (so far) any roadside calamaties.

LIke I say---Good luck on what you decide---I'll be whizzing down I-5 this winter ---wave at those Dolphins---it might be us.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I take a dismounted spare no rim only on longer trip in the toad trunk
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm not sure where you got that idea from they are in fact all the very same.

The only way there is a difference is the aluminum wheels where the fronts are polished on the outside (flatter surface) and the outer rear are polished on the inside (cupped looking) surface and may or may not have a steel wheel for the inner dual or a machined surface wheel if aluminum.

The advantage if you have your own tire and wheel is if you have say a workhorse 22.5 with the 8 hole pattern and damage a wheel you may find it will take some time to get a replacement wheel.

There is normally a big area under the rear of the frame where a mount bracket can be fabricated to carry the tire & wheel out of sight while being very accessible to get to even with a toad. It would not be something you could load or unload yourself but a reasonably good tire service person could.

You would have to content with the extra weight in the back.
I think you need to take a closer look. The diameter and width are the same and the hole pattern is the same, but don't try to mount a rear rim on the front or front on the rear. It aint gonna work.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"find a good, reliable, emergency road side service such as "Good Sam."
Hmmmm, I don't think so........I understand that the road services will NOT change a flat tire, ie. dismount, fix, mount.......but they will remove the bad tire and wheel and install a good mounted wheel and tire.My mounted tire and wheel is stored in the first bay curbside, aft of the steps, on the top shelf.

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
The 22.5" is basically the same tire used by many big rigs... I've never seen one of them carrying a mounted spare. Unmounted makes sense, there's lots of service companies that do roadside tire service on semis... plus that's a lot less weight counting against your GVWR.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #20

I built a heavy duty mount for the receiver. Added a tilt so you can get to the engine doors. Didn't need the spare on our long trip north but was glad we had it. If anyone is thinking about fabing one, shoot an email or pm and I can sent pictures. Have never posted px on here.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I think you need to take a closer look. The diameter and width are the same and the hole pattern is the same, but don't try to mount a rear rim on the front or front on the rear. It aint gonna work.
No way I can convince anyone which is no big deal but if you have steel wheels on your W22 they are in fact the same part number for all six of them. I've already explained the difference if they are aluminum.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scooter---you are getting a lot of feed back----what are you thinking about now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
No way I can convince anyone which is no big deal but if you have steel wheels on your W22 they are in fact the same part number for all six of them. I've already explained the difference if they are aluminum.
Earlier in my reply I said "I think they are"---since it was not the point of my response I was not careful enough to say more accurately "I haven't the faintest idea whether they are or not" ----

based on this thread I am going to find out---even though I do not carry a spare tire or rim. But I wanted to make the record clear and not give any false information---no matter how casual the reference.

Having them all the same makes more sense certainly. I have a strong suspicion you are correct----so I'll see if I can verify it for myself. Thanks for your information.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
njs42:

At this moment the RV is parked in full sun and it is 90 degrees. I'm thinking of a refresco right now........and after the sun goes down, checking the one compartment that seems OK for the tire, more thoroughly. If I (or someone handy) can cut the 10 inch storage bin slot wider to 12-15 inches or so.....that would be my first choice.

A mounted tire would be about 150 lbs, not a big deal re CCC, in my view.

I went under the RV and in the rear, there might be enough space to weld/bolt a plate or something with which to carry a spare. Maybe a hand winch can be added. I dunno......I will have to go to a serious metal fabrication shop and have someone crawl around and give me their views.

Second choice is the hitch mounted spare tire carrier mentioned previously. (if the mfr. can assure me there will not be a lot of movement while driving).

I am not going to carry a tire/wheel and change it myself. Too old and too weak. This is why the Almighty created road side service. I am not going to carry a spare, unmounted, and do the entire job myself. Too old, too weak and too smart.

I keep you posted.

Thank you all for your comments.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #24

Get a flat on the weekend in the middle of nowhere without a spare and you had better have fueled up. My friend just called from WV where he blew a front tire. He has been sitting on the side of the road without a spare for 12 hours now waiting for help. It seems no one has his tire size in stock and when they do get the tire they will have to come out and take the tire and wheel off and take it into town and mount it and then bring it back. They also don't have a tow truck in the area big enough to tow his unit. They are talking about Monday as an early fix.... another 26 hours away.... sitting on the side of a mountain road.... He has Good Sams road service too..

I told him to buy a mounting plate, put it on the roof and pull the spare up there with a rope that way it would be out of the way and you could lower it easily if you needed it but it was too much trouble for him to do. I helped another buddy do that and it's working out well for him.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Earlier in my reply I said "I think they are"---since it was not the point of my response I was not careful enough to say more accurately "I haven't the faintest idea whether they are or not" ----
Just to clarify my post was not directed to what you had posted. I'm interested in what you find out. Old Dodge Class C units used to have a flat "single" wheel style mounted on the steering and a "dual" wheel mounted axle (not from the factory) for the rear, so yes with these models the wheels were incompatible front to rear.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the exact opposite problem coming back from TX the guy fom roadside was for serving semi's he had no tires that would fit if I had a tire he could have changed it for no trouble. NOW I carry a unmounted tire in compartment JUST IN CASE. It has a about 3 year shelf life left on it.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That 10' wide compartment---is it in the back just behind the passenger side duals?

In front of the LPG tank compartment? It has kind of a shelf inside which protrudes deeper into the center of the MH? Hard for me to think of any other 10" compartment on mine. Also very difficult to see how you make the wider (jut further under the coach is what I think you mean). I've benn under there a lot and it seems to me you would run into your rear jacks.

HAve you thought of maybe pushing it up into the pass through between the double basement doors on either side---you would need to do this from the passenger side because the slide out shaft interferrs from the other -----------then just scooting it forward until it butts against the very front of that pass through, there is a bulkhead there which is the very back of the engine compartment when viewed from the front. ( I think that describes it) that way it would kind of be out of sight until you needed it and it would carry the weight farther forward. If your chasis weighs like mine it helps to get some weight forward----almost impossible to over load the front with the set up but not so much the rear.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
njs42:

So the sun went down (and the tide went out, the people.......)

My clumsy wording might have led some to believe that there is a 10 inch compartment. Actually, you hit on the compartment I had considered: Passenger side, first compartment aft of the entry door.

4 foot wide, 28-3/4 inches high and 24 inches deep. Then you get to the 4 foot wide by 10-3/4 inch high "pass thru" slot which goes inwards about 3 feet or more (until you hit the slide out shaft).

I have measured the tire, mounted, it is nine inches wide. By 37 inches in diameter. SHOULD FIT. Maybe........

I will go to Les Schwab nearby and have them take off the wheel cover and pull off a front tire and see how it will fit in this space.

Now for a dumb question: Looking at the rear dually tires I see a protruding portion of the wheel facing inward. It butts up to its buddy wheel and the two protuberances keep the sidewalls from rubbing. About a 2 inch gap.

I have never changed a tire in my life. Auto, RV or bicycle. I have to assume that the front tire has the protuberance facing outward, after the wheel cover is removed. Right? This adds an inch to the width making the tire a full 9 inches. So....10-3/4 inches minus 9 inches gives me 1-3/4 inches of clearance, which will allow a little room if the wheel protuberance is more than I anticipated. Les Schwab will tell the tale.

After everyone has stopped laughing........let me know your thoughts.

Thanks