Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
How do I fix the bay doors?

I have a 2004 Dolphin LX, and most of the bay doors are falling apart. Specifically, the inside of the door is coming apart from the outer fiberglass shell (see pics below).

It's causing the doors to "warp", and I noticed I had some water infiltration this weekend when I was driving home in some rain. I had puddles of water in the floors of the bays where the doors are warped the most. I assume it's because of the doors and not some other leaking.

Anyway, does anyone have a fix for this they have done before? I don't think glueing them back together will be a permanent solution. It takes quite a bit of compression force to squeeze those two surface back together.

ctusdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No expert here...but looking at the construction I'm going to assume that this is a common problem. If it were me I would start with the dealer. See if you can get some good info about inner construction, and if there are any mechanical fasteners in there. I'm thinking that to fix it correctly you'll need to remove them and completely separate the two halves...super cleaning and prep, then press them back together with an appropriate epoxy.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is possible I would take them apart, clean them up, replace the insulation and then use angle iron and pop rivets to put them back together. Then I would caulk them to keep the moisture out.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Don't take the back off unless you must. I removed one of mine and it took a long time to clean up the inside of the door, the inside panel also became unuseable. Spray some of this stuff in the cracks around the edges Red Devil Triple Expanding Foam 12 oz. and clamp it down on a bench till dry. The Red Devel product expands to three times it's install thickness and bonds the two parts together. It's very much like the stuff Ortega used in the plant. After it sets up clean off the extra and caulk the edges. Then paint the inside panel.
Removing the inside panel may well cost you a new door and there about $700 each. But Ortega will make them for you but in Fibre Glass not plastic. They arrive unpainted with no hardware or latches.

Dick
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There ya go. Words of wisdom from those who have gone into the darkness before you! LOL
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The doors on the 04 model are fiber glass not plastic.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well at least I am not the only one with this problem ... I posted a similar question a few weeks ago here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/more...ns-107146.html

Our doors that are separating aren't quite at the condition that yours are - but I do want to take some measures to repair them. What I am considering doing is to get/make some lightweight angle brackets, possibly out of aluminum, that will "angle over" each side of the doors and secure them with either some stainless screws or rivets. In order to ensure that they are sturdy enough, I'm thinking that the brackets should follow the shape of the side of the door, almost covering the entire side, then bring them in about 1 1/2 - 2 inches on the inside of the door.

My primary concern with the inside portion of the bracket will be ensuring that we don't do any seal damage or compression that will leave gaps for water to intrude.

I'm thinking that a full length bracket on both sides of the door should provide enough compression and force to keep the edge where the handle is tight. Of course, we should also do some re-sealing around the entire perimeter of the door where the insert meets the door edges.

I'm interested in any ideas you may have and seeing your results when you get there.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctusdenny View Post
I had puddles of water in the floors of the bays
We also have had some significant puddles of water in the basement, but for us it was mostly in the bays that are behind the wheels. What I found was that we have some rust on the edges of the basement compartments that wasn't immediately noticable, but after a more thorough inspection, there are some spots that I can poke through. The compartment bays do/did have a light coating of undercoating, but it's obviously worn off and I can see the compartment construction along with the styrofoam that lines the bottom of the bays.

That's just another fix that we'll be working on when the weather gets nicer.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Well at least I am not the only one with this problem ... I posted a similar question a few weeks ago here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/more...ns-107146.html

Our doors that are separating aren't quite at the condition that yours are - but I do want to take some measures to repair them. What I am considering doing is to get/make some lightweight angle brackets, possibly out of aluminum, that will "angle over" each side of the doors and secure them with either some stainless screws or rivets. In order to ensure that they are sturdy enough, I'm thinking that the brackets should follow the shape of the side of the door, almost covering the entire side, then bring them in about 1 1/2 - 2 inches on the inside of the door.

My primary concern with the inside portion of the bracket will be ensuring that we don't do any seal damage or compression that will leave gaps for water to intrude.

I'm thinking that a full length bracket on both sides of the door should provide enough compression and force to keep the edge where the handle is tight. Of course, we should also do some re-sealing around the entire perimeter of the door where the insert meets the door edges.

I'm interested in any ideas you may have and seeing your results when you get there.
Yep, kind of what I was thinking, too. Some angle and rivets. When I get some free time in the next few weeks, I'm going to pull one of the doors off and get after it. I'll post what I find. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
We also have had some significant puddles of water in the basement, but for us it was mostly in the bays that are behind the wheels. What I found was that we have some rust on the edges of the basement compartments that wasn't immediately noticable, but after a more thorough inspection, there are some spots that I can poke through. The compartment bays do/did have a light coating of undercoating, but it's obviously worn off and I can see the compartment construction along with the styrofoam that lines the bottom of the bays.

That's just another fix that we'll be working on when the weather gets nicer.
Hmmm, I'll have to check the bays for rust. Didn't think of that. Maybe it rusted under the carpets where I can't see it. Good tip. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #11

I had one repaired by a shop. It did cost me $100, but they did an expert job of disassembling everything, cleaning, and glueing it all back together. The inside of the door looks better than the factory ones with a neat caulk line between the liner and the door edges.