Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Using fast idle while airing up would fit that requirement since it will take a while. The process will be speeded up by having a partner pump the brakes to bring the tank pressure down to engage the compressor when tank and tire pressure start to reach equilibrium.

I gave up on that process and bought a portable compressor. It takes far less time.
I run my tank up to 120 to 130 psi, take care of the 3 tires on the curb side in just a few minutes, something like 5 to 7 lbs per tire. I have a bleed off valve adjacent to the inflator so as I am moving the hose to the road side I bleed the tank so the compressor kicks in, repeat the process on the road side. I can have one side done before my old Porter Cable pancake compressor had its tank filled up.

Literally 15 minutes start to finish, includes rolling the hose up and putting it away.

It would be an interesting experiment to look at the various Class A tank sizes and compressor CFM ratings.

I'm guessing it has more do to with tank volume. I fill the tank to somewhere around 120 to 130 psi, put say 5 lbs in each of 3 tires (22.5) and I am still above 110 psi. I run 105 psi front, 95 psi rear.

It seems to vary widely between manufacturers. I know many people who have good results with their onboard compressors and I've met others who would struggle to top off a tire.

For me, I don't have to do it often. At home I use the big garage compressor. On the road I use the coach's obviously. Even if it took a few minutes longer, I like saving the space and weight.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rook,

Glad to hear you got the tire inflator working with onboard compressor.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rook, I don't have your coach but when I set mine I have to hold the accelerate switch for a few seconds to get ti to hold. On my coach tapping accelerate is resume, to set a speed/rpm i have to hold it. This true for me whether driving or idling.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sdennislee,
I think you are right about differences in coach tank volume. Your sounds much more effective than mine. I had trouble getting more than a couple pounds in a tire without cycling the compressor

Have a dump valve at the air chuck sounds like a great addition. How about sharing how you built that. I am sure that would be a big help to others using the onboard system. I would add it to my hose since I consider my onboard system as a back up.

Thanks for the tip.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Sdennislee,
I think you are right about differences in coach tank volume. Your sounds much more effective than mine. I had trouble getting more than a couple pounds in a tire without cycling the compressor

Have a dump valve at the air chuck sounds like a great addition. How about sharing how you built that. I am sure that would be a big help to others using the onboard system. I would add it to my hose since I consider my onboard system as a back up.

Thanks for the tip.
Here are a couple pictures (bottom of post) of the rig.

I was able to top off the rear duals in one compressor cycle. Bleed the system below 90 psi and topped off the front tires. It took about 10 minutes total, then another 10 minutes experimenting with different lock on air chucks.

Total cost $71.00 not including the digital tire inflator, I had it laying around the garage. I think it was $60.00 when I bought it from Snap-On. You can buy a nice inflator for under $30.00.

Stores in less space than the pancake compressor did no where near the weight of a compressor.

1) I start with an air filter connected to the coaches air outlet,
2) then 50' of 1/4" poly hose (very small when rolled up),
3) then to an in-line bleeder valve, this allows me to bleed the system below 90 psi to cause the compressor to kick on if needed. This is simpler than having the DW pump the breaks to bleed the system down. This is necessary if the system pressure falls below desired tire pressure. If this happens the tire with greater pressure will back flow to the compressor, causing the tire to lose pressure
4) then to a pressure gauge that allows me to monitor the coaches air pressure, I watch this gauge to let me know when there is sufficient pressure to inflate the tire,
5) digital tire inflator,
6) then 2nd inline bleeder, this allows me to let air out of the tire should I miss my mark and over inflate,
7) 12' of lead to allow me to stand a safe distance (12') back along side the coach,
8) swivel, so when I am 12' away the pull on the hose turns 90 degrees to reduce strain on the lock on air chuck,
9) lock on air chuck with open check, an open check is important as it allows air in the tire to flow back to the inflator gauge to produce a tire pressure reading.

Here is the video link where I got the idea

The 1/4" poly hose (Hitachi), air filter and fittings came from Lowes.

The in-line bleeder valves (in-line blow guns) and lock-on chucks are from MSC Industrial

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MTERM=59546895

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MTERM=00577445

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MTERM=00577353

The in line bleeders are actually in line blow guns. The added advantage of using a blow gun is that I can blow debris out of my TPMS sensor before reinstalling if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	836.3 KB
ID:	16606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	16607  

Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pretty good setup. Well thought out, too.

I will take these ideas and add them to my future projects folder.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote