Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
It is actually always plugged in, we have been working on it and are in and out of it several times a day. Over the winter we didnt check the batteries and I think we ruined one of them. We used to have 2 12volt batteries but one was dead and wouldn't hold a charge so we replaced it and didnt pay attention to the cranking amps. That is why I still have one with only 625 CA.
Cranking amps is a term used for engine starting batteries. Coach batteries should be deep cycle batteries. They are typically rated in amp hours.
Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged up to 50% and recharged many times. Engine batteries will be damaged quickly if used as coach batteries.

If your old 625 amp battery is bad it will draw down the other new battery.

Quote:
Ok I have check everything, converter is good, I charged the battery and the next morning it has dropped again.
Okay, so the converter output was checked and with the batteries disconnected I am assuming (I hate that word) you measured 13.6 volts.

The batteries fully charged should read 12.6-12.7 volts after they have rested a couple hours. I am also assuming (there it is again) that the batteries have been load tested by an auto parts store or repair tech.

If the above is true I would suspect there is a corroded or faulty connection somewhere from the converter to the battery bank.
Even if there was a 12 volt draw (like the LP alarm) happening, it should not be enough to overcome the amps being supplied by the converter/charger unless it's a direct short.

If that is the case I would think you would be able to touch the battery cables to see if they are hot or warm after they are hooked up for a short time. If the cables are cool to the touch then I doubt there is a direct short.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Yes checked the converter with red cable disconnected read 13.6 volts. The batteries are marine batteries not starting batteries. The one battery is brand new and after 1 day it reads 11.70. I have a wall unit that shows I am drawing 1 amp most of the time, except for right now I have my refrigerator on and it is showing 3 amps. Is it possible for my coach battery to drain my house battery? Oh and the reason I thought it might be the LP detector was when I first hooked up the LP detector it wouldn't work. Then I found out there is a fuse for it. (a 1 amp fuse) Found the fuse and it was blown. Not sure if the new detector blew it or if that was why the old one wouldn't work? Anyway I now have a 3 amp fuse in it(because I cant find a 1 amp fuse anywhere) so I was thinking it might be a faulty detector.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say the place to start would be to remove the house batteries, charge them up and take them to an auto parts store to be load tested. Sounds like either a new defective battery or the old battery is bad.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Wanabee for hanging in here with me on this. I will have the batteries checked out.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I realize lots of folks use marine batteries for "house" batteries. I personally will only use "Golf Cart" type batteries, I don't believe marine batteries can carry the load.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I took the "marine battery" back to Sams today and bought 2 golf cart batteries. I will let you know if this solves my problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember... wiring 2-6 volt batteries is different then 2-12 volts.
The 12 volts are wired in parallel, wire two 6 volts in series.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Yep pulled up the diagram to show DH before he installed them. He still was a little leary hooking the positive to the negative.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Installed new 6 volt batteries. How extactly do I test the 6 volt batteries now? And what should they be at?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #24

Do you have a battery Disconnect Relay (switch on dash or by entry door)? If you do and it is OFF, the converter cannot charge the battery.

DAve
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Installed new 6 volt batteries. How extactly do I test the 6 volt batteries now? And what should they be at?
You can check your 2-6 volt house batteries together as if they were one 12 volt battery. You should have 12.6-12.7 volts after fully charged and rested. (converter off or batteries disconnected from RV) If you check a single 6 volt battery alone, fully charged should be about 6.3 volts

Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Still having battery issues, now my jacks are acting up. Since I replaced the batteries my jacks have a mind of their own. When I try to put them down they just keep running and I have to push the off button to get them to stop.

Not that this has anything to do with it, but last week I had the refrigerator running for 3 days trying to see if I could get it adjusted to cool down before we go camping in 2 weeks. Final got it adjusted to where it was at 38 degrees. Everything seemed to be working fine. Lights were really bright, thought I had solved the problem when I got the new batteries. So I turned off refrigerator and also turned off disconnect switch by door when I left rv.

Today I go out and I can't turn on the disconnect switch. Test new batteries and they are DEAD. What could be draining the batteries when the disconnect switch is off? And why are my Jacks going crazy? Any ideas on what could be going on.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to tell if converter is good:

With unit not plugged into shore or generator power hook a DIGITAL VOLTMETER to the batteries (Digital multi-meter in volts DC)

Note the voltage

Plug in

Note the voltage

Wait an hour

Note the voltage

Post readings, make and model of converter, and size of batteries here

We will tell you if it's good bad or indifferent.

SIDE NOTE: Just for fun cycle the circuit breakers in the main power box, and also if the converter is a plug in unit like mine... make sure it's plugged in.

My converter failed once so far this year.. At the time I simply activated the back up converter since it was "Oh-dark-thirty" and I did not feel like going out to check it.

Next morning I plugged it back in. I'd snagged the cord setting up and unplugged it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Today I go out and I can't turn on the disconnect switch. Test new batteries and they are DEAD. What could be draining the batteries when the disconnect switch is off? And why are my Jacks going crazy? Any ideas on what could be going on.
Is the MH being stored with no shore power?

Wondering if one of the smaller gauge wires at the batteries is hooked up wrong.

To check for a voltage draw, remove one terminal on house battery bank, hook up a volt meter (set to amps) between the cable and the battery and read the measurement.

Batteries need to be charged before performing this test.

Tags
converter