Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #1

How happy are you with your National RV DP?

Hello all,

during my research for an RV that'll be capable of taking me cross-country, I often come across the National RV Diesel pushers. I like the fuel efficient Cummins 5.9 275hp engine and the 1998-2002 models are definitely within my budget.
So my question to you: Are you happy with yours? Would you recommend it to me, or would you say that considering the age I'd be better off spending a little more to get a Monaco or even a CountryCoach?
How a about the insulation, heating and AC? I'm not planning to go skiing, but I'd like it to be able to cope with springs/autumns in Alaska and hot summers in Texas...

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #2

We've got a '94 Dolphin DP with the 5.9 @ 190hp & love it! Just got back from 6600 mile trip to East Coast & averaged 13mpg. Get a good one & you won't be sorry.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Our 1999 Tradewinds has performed very well with minimum repairs, nothing major, since we bought it in 2007. We consistently get 9.5 MPG with a 300 hp Cat and a 6 speed Allison.

Very satisfied with the National build quality. It does fine in colder weather and the two AC units keep up with the New Mexico heat in the summer. I wouldn't want to test it in sub zero weather but double pane windows help a lot.

Dick
Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Love our '99 Tradewinds. I might go for one with a bedroom slide, as well as the front slide if it was shopping, but not at the expense of the U-shaped galley counter. If you plan to do a lot of meals inside, or go to rallys where you help with potlucks, keep the work area in mind. We get an average of 9.5-10+ mpg. We tow a small pickup and it doesn't matter to the coach. We do travel at posted truck speeds - under 60 mph. Those that complain about their mpg usually blur past us

We have the same engine and transmission as Dick Berry's does. (Hi Dick!)

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have a Tradewinds, model 7390 and it also has the CAT 3126B 300. We usually average 9-10 MPG if I keep her at the sweet spot around 62-64 MPH. We spent a week in Las Vegas one August for a wedding parked at the old Circus Circus RV park on asphalt. Our two a/c's kept us cool in 110+ degree heat. I have found nothing yet I would give her up for. Love the storage inside. I live in Utah and have no problems pulling the hills with the CRV on the back. The 300 can be adjusted to 330 if you feel the need, but I don't see any reason to do it. Only problems I have had were not attributed to National. Replaced 1 jack and had to replace the Norcold cooling unit.

As you look around on Dealer Lots pay attention as to how many Nationals you see sitting there. This speaks well of the National Quality.

I have owned mine since November 2004
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

We've had our 2001 Tradewinds for about 5 years... been from NY to Myrtle Beach 5 times, to Florida twice, plus "local" camping trips... average about 9 mpg towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.......We go to RV shows to see why we love our Tradewinds!!!!
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

I have a 2008 Tropical, cummins 340HP, 9-10 mpg towing full size dodge quad cab 4x4, speed doesn't seem to make much diff in mpg as long as I stay under 75
dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

great, thank you all for the insights! Sounds like one can't go wrong with choosing a good National pusher either... Why do you think they are generally quite a lot cheaper than the comparable Monaco models?
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
Hello all,

during my research for an RV that'll be capable of taking me cross-country, I often come across the National RV Diesel pushers. I like the fuel efficient Cummins 5.9 275hp engine and the 1998-2002 models are definitely within my budget.
So my question to you: Are you happy with yours? Would you recommend it to me, or would you say that considering the age I'd be better off spending a little more to get a Monaco or even a CountryCoach?
How a about the insulation, heating and AC? I'm not planning to go skiing, but I'd like it to be able to cope with springs/autumns in Alaska and hot summers in Texas...

cheers,
Matt
I also have a 1999 Tradewinds one slide 300DP for 4years love it have only had normal maintenance except I now need to replace one of the roof AC going back with a 15,000unit about $520.00 average about 10mpg pulling a 2006 Tahoe
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
All Nationals are Orphans which means really nothing because everything except the body parts are OEM and as easy to get as any coach the same age. Monaco also has a really loyal following for some reason even though the company has changed hands several times and even abandoned warrantee obligations in one case. In the age you're looking at all it means is if you buy parts from Monaco you'll pay an additional markup. Monaco also makes a very good coach which coupled with the prestige of a loyal following bumps the resale price, not the value; just the price. If you're looking for the prestige and bragging rights Monaco or Country Coach is the way to go. If you're looking for bang for the buck National is really hard to beat.
This is my opinion not necessarily hard facts. Here in Albuquerque we have a saying...."If you like to pay too much, you may be from Santa Fe "

Dick
Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 AM   #11

National

I'm happy with mine, but, I must admit, I would rather have a Newell!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
great, thank you all for the insights! Sounds like one can't go wrong with choosing a good National pusher either... Why do you think they are generally quite a lot cheaper than the comparable Monaco models?
I know you were looking at a Country Coach and called them after I gave you Tonya's number to get a brochure on a 19 year old coach and got it within minutes. You need to look at what you are getting for your$$$ with a Monaco,Country Coach and National. The higher end units will have a side radiator,do the awnings roll up into a protective metal cover,is the roof some sort of rubber or fiberglass,painted on the outside or stickers,5speed tranny or 6,solid wood on the inside with no partical board or fake wood grain contact paper.
Go to nada.com to look up models and it will give you what the msrp was on them when new and high and low retail now. If you were to walk through and around the three units I think you would be able to see why some cost more than others. Good luck with the hunt.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I know you were looking at a Country Coach and called them after I gave you Tonya's number to get a brochure on a 19 year old coach and got it within minutes. You need to look at what you are getting for your$$$ with a Monaco,Country Coach and National. The higher end units will have a side radiator,do the awnings roll up into a protective metal cover,is the roof some sort of rubber or fiberglass,painted on the outside or stickers,5speed tranny or 6,solid wood on the inside with no partical board or fake wood grain contact paper.

Go to nada.com to look up models and it will give you what the msrp was on them when new and high and low retail now. If you were to walk through and around the three units I think you would be able to see why some cost more than others. Good luck with the hunt.

Excellence post Mike.
When I was researching for a full timing coach, I looked at the 3 you mention plus Newmar. I was buying used and looking at the general time frame as you. I bumped National off the list for a few reasons but the primary was the low CCC or now OCC on most of their coaches. As a full timer, I wants a minimum of 4-5k pounds. I also wanted a tag axle and AquaHot so National didn't make the cut. They were distracted in the early 2000 time frame by financial trouble and went about a merger/buyout of Country Coach. That was a terrible fiasco for both companies and the Lee family ended up buying CC back from National just before National folded. Then CC folded also.

I suspect that at this age, any of these coaches you buy will either have serious problems showing or, if well maintained, be well shaken out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Had our 2002 Tradewinds 7370 almost 3 years and love it. It had low mileage when we bought it and the interior was in great shape. Only done routine maintenance. Any other problems were new DP owner ignorance. Gary
popsrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national