Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

How hard can it be to change a light bulb?

How hard can it be to change a light bulb? That's the question my wife asked about fixing the burnt out light in the microwave. Sounds like a quick, easy fix, but in a motorhome (as you all know) nothing is quick or easy.

Here's the microwave, a GE JVM1490BH01 in our 2005 Sea Breeze 8321LX.

The interior light bulb burnt out. Online sources say you just need to remove the front upper grill, take out a few screws, remove the light cover, replace light bulb. Notice how the microwave is installed right against the cabinet.

There are 2 small screws holding the grill on, but National installed the microwave so there is no access to the screws. Here's what the screw looks like under the cabinet. You can barely see the screw head.

Bottom line is: in order to change the light bulb you must remove the microwave.

The cabinet above the microwave:

Fascia removed:

There are 2 bolts that secure the microwave to the cabinet:
Right one is near right side on cabinet.:

Left is under the false cabinet floor:

The microwave is secured to the wall with 2 tabs that fit into a frame. Once you remove the 2 screws, the microwave swings down away from the top cabinet. Probably best if you have a second person prepared to help you catch the microwave. It's heavy and lets go with little warning. I braced the bottom of the microwave with 2x4s on each side before removing the 2 screws completely. Gives you some time to get positioned to catch it. This is a basic home style installation of a microwave.
Here's the frame:

Now you can remove the screws and replace the bulb.
Picture of the screws that secure the grill.

The bulb is behind this grill:
[/URL][/IMG]
And under these covers:

There's the light cover, pinch it to remove:

And finally the bulb:

Took a few hours to get this done, but now we can see what's cookin'
Bob C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Now you know why I lived with a burned out bulb for a couple of years.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, what an engineering joke. The light in my new Samsung can be replaced from the inside of the oven compartment.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Similar problems in the automotive industry after computer CAD programs were introduced ; the engineers knew the component would fit under the hood , but there were no allowances for access to service it.
eg. you know your in trouble when the instructions for removing the rear 3 spark plugs on a mini van begin; disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold, remove the rear engine mount and lower the rear of the engine 6" to begin removal, of the spark plugs.

The clowns who design this stuff , probably never have to work on it.

Edit: The way my over range , microwave is mounted at my S&B, I'd better keep track of these photos for reference.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I think when my light goes out I will invest in a flashlight to see whats cooking, but even easier would be to ask my dear wife what she put in there.
Gyrene6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #6

I see your problem. The cabinets are too deep. Install new skinnier cabinets problem solved.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:20 AM   #7

Love the pictures
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, what a horror story. I went home and looked at my GE Profile Microwave and there is a plate that can be taken off right from under the unit. We leave that nitelight on all the time and when I read your story, I thought 'that ends yours'. Fortunately mine is not like that.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #9

My 2007 Sea Breeze micro/convection was installed the same way, the fan squeaks sometimes and I was going to get in there and clean it but ran into the same situation. I guess I can wait until the light bulb burns out and take care of both items PS nice pictures they will help.
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Wow, what a horror story. I went home and looked at my GE Profile Microwave and there is a plate that can be taken off right from under the unit. We leave that nitelight on all the time and when I read your story, I thought 'that ends yours'. Fortunately mine is not like that.
The GE Microwaves have a night light feature that allows easy access to the light bulbs on the bottom of the unit. The light bulb I changed was the one inside the cooking compartment that turns on the when door is opened. You may want to check and see if your light comes on when you open the door.

We didn't realize it was burnt out at all, until one day my DW was baking a cake and wanted to see what was going on inside the oven. She said "Hey! I can't see the cake, I swear there was a light on the inside; I think it's burnt out."

I was happy to leave it burnt out, but DW had other thoughts. She said no light - no dinner. ;o)
Bob C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just ordered replacement LED bulbs from Superbrightled's for the bottom of my microwave. Also ordered an LED bulb for the refrigerator while I was at it.

Last summer the bulb went out in our house microwave. Since you had to remove the whole unit anyway, we just bought a new one.
It was old and was time.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Last summer the bulb went out in our house microwave. Since you had to remove the whole unit anyway, we just bought a new one.
It was old and was time.
Good move Gerry.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds about right (Same basic procedure on my Microwave).

Now, as it happens I have a few friends and E-mail corespondents who also have light bulbs that need occasional changing, often Xeon Strobe type lamps. on top of Radio towers.. VERY TALL radio towers. Taller than that Radio Towers.. How would you like to change those bulbs?

Or for that matter pay the light bill.. One station I listin to (wtww, Look emp up on the web at wtww.us, at 2 PM Eastern check out Transmitter #2, the show sometimes starts a bit late, The artist is also on my E-mail contact list)

1.4 GIGAWATS that means they burn over 3Gigawatt hours of power per hour,, That's three MILLION Killawatt hours per hour 24x7 Plus what it takes to run the studios and light the towers and such

The one bill they don't pay is heating.

« TPMS | No hot water »