RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to access generator??

I am having a problem starting my Generac 75D in the front of my NRV Marlin 2001 DP. I need to check some components out.

Has anyone done maintenance on one of these front enders? It is not on a powered slide so I will have some issues with getting access to the components inside. Can you pull it part way out to get access to the sides?

Thanks

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

I worked on a Phaton class A and to pull out the generator, there was a pull cable in the storage compartment at the left front of the motorhome. Pulled it and the generator will pop out. You may have something similar on your motorhome.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John.....my Generac diesel generator doesn't pull out either, its in the front and bolted to the frame on rubber shock mounts. I have had trouble starting mine, as well. But, I have now settled on a solution. Maybe we have some of the same issues. Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to start it? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
John.....my Generac diesel generator doesn't pull out either, its in the front and bolted to the frame on rubber shock mounts. I have had trouble starting mine, as well. But, I have now settled on a solution. Maybe we have some of the same issues. Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to start it? Rook
It has run on several occasions since I bought the MH in July. I ran it to exercise it. It was a little tricky since I did not know how to use the preheat switch.

Now it will only do a weak attempt to turn over. Like it does not have enough amps to do anything.

I have not been able to check the cranking volts at the generator. I think the battery is OK but I'm not sure yet. I have cleaned all the contact points from the battery to the generator.

I did try jumping the generator from my running car (connected to the battery) but I got the same result.

I'm beginning to think there may be contact problems inside the generator like the starter contactor.

Let me know what your issues are and maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John, describing what all I have tried is beyond the scope of my typing skills. I will send you a PM with my phone number. Give me a call and we will discuss it. Bill

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

2001 Tradewinds with diesel gen set in front if MH under the dash. It is either a 8 or 10 KW set. 1158 hours and I have yet to do the 700 hour service. Cannot find anyone I trust to pull the set out to change belts, adjust valves, change radiator. etc. For years and years I have had to start it twice to keep it running. It starts and stalls the first try. Some times I have to have the coach engine running to get it going. Very loud but it works in a devilish way. Have had the main board changed once when fairly new and got it to work. Tried again last year for the start problem and no help. Not a easy job and the mobile guy wouldn't charge me. Put the old one back in and I gave him $50. cause he did his best. A few times in order to get it going I have pressed the 12 volt disconnect switch on the panel beside the passenger chair several times. Let us know how you make out with it.
whitewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewhale View Post
2001 Tradewinds with diesel gen set in front if MH under the dash. It is either a 8 or 10 KW set. 1158 hours and I have yet to do the 700 hour service. Cannot find anyone I trust to pull the set out to change belts, adjust valves, change radiator. etc. For years and years I have had to start it twice to keep it running. It starts and stalls the first try. Some times I have to have the coach engine running to get it going. Very loud but it works in a devilish way. Have had the main board changed once when fairly new and got it to work. Tried again last year for the start problem and no help. Not a easy job and the mobile guy wouldn't charge me. Put the old one back in and I gave him $50. cause he did his best. A few times in order to get it going I have pressed the 12 volt disconnect switch on the panel beside the passenger chair several times. Let us know how you make out with it.
Try this to keep your Gen running after it starts the first time.......hold down the start button, do not release it until you are CERTAIN the Gen is running on it's own. This usually takes 20-30 seconds. The initial starter will not turn over problem is lilely caused from two problems. 1) low DC voltage under load at the starter, about 7.5 VDC, caused by the voltage drop/loss in a long DC cable run (30 feet) and 6 separate junctions/connections, subject to corrosion, before you get directly to the battery terminal and 2) a worn, inefficient, and possibly underpowered starter which is simply a DC motor with BRUSHES and an ARMATURE, both subject to wear and deterioration. Ask me how I know all this! Rook

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
John, once you verify the batteries are fully charged (12.6v an hour after not being charged...surface charge disappated), then your cranking problem could very well be a bad/corroded generator ground at the chassis frame. This is very common vs the ground at the generator, which is rare, but you always want to check both.

It certainly could be the starter, but this is the first thing to check with any generator with cranking problems.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

On my older Generac the plastic gear on the starter motor just gave up and broke. I had to drop the generator down to the ground to work on it. Cost 80 bucks at a starter shop. Put it back in and it was fine.

Tom
;
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have the 7.5 Generac on my '01 LTC and have had starter problems several times. They just have bad starters. I had to replace three of them in two weeks before the fourth one took. I only had to pay for one of them though and Generac had to eat a couple of them and one and two day shipping rates, Finally found one relatively local that has worked for about a year now. They,for some reason,lock up on the flywheel and take a long time to release.By a long time,I mean hours and if you keep trying to start it,they fry.
When you're starting hold the preheat button for 15-20 seconds in warm weather and longer in cold weather.That warms the glo-plug and pumps fuel to the gennie. Then after you get it started,hold the button for at least another 10-15 seconds as that will keep the fuel flowing.
You're gonna want to run that baby at least once a month with the MH unhooked from shore power and put a load on it.What I do is to run the temp on the A/C way down and actually cook something in the oven or ay least pre-heat it.
I had mine serviced at the same time they had it out the last time,all new filters,coolant,oil, new air inlet hose and belts. Now, it sounds as if the belts are starting to slip when you run it and then apply the load. I pulled off the front of the case and found that the belts are on the side of the gennie and you have to pull it all the way out to get to them and that's about a two hour,in and out.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John....maybe some good news on this end. Today, I had my Nephew come over and 1st we change my oil and filter. And then we looked at and cleaned all grounds off my Battery Bank. We disconnected all grounds we could find, cleaned, ground the chassis metal to bright metal, wire brushed all surfaces and even replaced one #6 gauge cable with a larger #2 gauge stranded copper cable, used "dielectric grease" on everything, for conductivity and corrosion protection. After all that, I thought "what the hayl", let's try the Gen. With no big engine running for Alternator support, but plugged into shore power....she started right up!!! Never happened before! Maybe I have solved my problem!! Fingers crossed.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tried to tell you guys that back on 7-10-13

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator