RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 1987 Pace Arrow 30 amp system has a switch in the rearmost cabinet on the drivers side, which switches power from either front to rear or vice versa. As mentioned bove, you can only run one a/c on 30 amp. Eddie Elk.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
I'm with fletch on this one. There must be a switch somewhere. If not, I suppose you could locate and switch the control and sense wires on the control thermostat. I assume you've looked in your owner's manual. ;-)

Walt
YES I've looked for switch everywhere and can't find one. weird. I took off thermostat board and it's connections are phone jack type of connections that I don't want to mess with. Will keep looking. don't have owners manual because I bought used a few years ago and it didn't come with one..

Thanks everyone for trying to help! I love this forum.

Terry and Lori

pieflsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a mfr name or model number on the thermostat? You might be able to get a manual and find out which wire is which and be able to swap them.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
here's front and back. maybe I should just switch two connectors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac therm front irv.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	146121   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac therm back irv.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	146122  

Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #19

One of the connectors in the second photo appears to be discolored. Are the wire still connected in the socket?? You may simply have a bad circuit board. Try switching the two connectors and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
One of the connectors in the second photo appears to be discolored. Are the wire still connected in the socket?? You may simply have a bad circuit board. Try switching the two connectors and see what happens.
Tried that and same thing. This is getting weird! Anyone know where I can obtain owners manual for 2007 Surfside 32c.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #21

it looks like your system, with the SHED and ON indicators, is designed to sense the input power and 'shed' either or both units if there is not enough incoming power. What may be happening is that your rear bedroom a/c unit(2) requires less amperage than your front living room a/c unit(1), therefore SHORE POWER may only provide enough to allow the rear unit to function, shedding the front unit...

it's very interesting, though, that you have MORE generator power than shore power ... not sure why a manufacturer would provide enough generator power to provide both a/c units, but have a Shore Line that will NOT power both... strange...

another option to try is to pull one of the connectors and see if the other a/c unit works without it - if so, then you might could figure out how to add a separate 'switch' yourself
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #22

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=110

click on the 'download' to get your copy...

2001 model, but it might help...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
it looks like your system, with the SHED and ON indicators, is designed to sense the input power and 'shed' either or both units if there is not enough incoming power. What may be happening is that your rear bedroom a/c unit(2) requires less amperage than your front living room a/c unit(1), therefore SHORE POWER may only provide enough to allow the rear unit to function, shedding the front unit...

it's very interesting, though, that you have MORE generator power than shore power ... not sure why a manufacturer would provide enough generator power to provide both a/c units, but have a Shore Line that will NOT power both... strange...

another option to try is to pull one of the connectors and see if the other a/c unit works without it - if so, then you might could figure out how to add a separate 'switch' yourself
Ya I know it's strange. what you posted sounds right. I'll have to call Dometic. One guy said to switch units on the roof. That sounds like an extreme pain in the ol booty!!! LOL
Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
OK, let's review what you've tried.

1. Switched wires on the circuit breakers. No change, so the air conditioners aren't on different legs, but if your coach is normally 30A, there is only one leg anyway. (Did you try shutting off the rear CB and see what happened?)

2. Switched thermostat wires, no change. Therefore the thermostat has nothing to do with the problem.

In conclusion, there is something between the circuit breakers and the AC units that is giving the rear AC preference. Do you have a load manager? On mine, it shows what is being disabled when running on 20 or 30A, and you can choose to change the default order.

One other question. When you did Old Biscuit's suggestion, did you move the wires or the circuit breakers? What he meant was for you to change the wires to the other circuit breaker, and leave the circuit breaker in the same position.

A real head scratcher for sure!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
OK, let's review what you've tried.

1. Switched wires on the circuit breakers. No change, so the air conditioners aren't on different legs, but if your coach is normally 30A, there is only one leg anyway. (Did you try shutting off the rear CB and see what happened?)

2. Switched thermostat wires, no change. Therefore the thermostat has nothing to do with the problem.

In conclusion, there is something between the circuit breakers and the AC units that is giving the rear AC preference. Do you have a load manager? On mine, it shows what is being disabled when running on 20 or 30A, and you can choose to change the default order.

One other question. When you did Old Biscuit's suggestion, did you move the wires or the circuit breakers? What he meant was for you to change the wires to the other circuit breaker, and leave the circuit breaker in the same position.

A real head scratcher for sure!

Walt
I PULLED BOTH 20 AMP BREAKERS - for each one and switched the black wires.

You guys are so kind and awesome. I love this forum.
Thanks
Terry
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieflsurfer View Post
My wife is sick of the bedroom ac as the only one that works when parked and plugged in. Is there a way to switch to front living room ac without damaging anything? She's starting to get ornery! I don't mind sound of AC in front and it would probably cool my room better. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Terry\651-728-2182
Do you have the 4 button Duo-Therm comfort control? If so you can use the control to switch zones, front to rear, rear to front or both zones on. No rewiring needed. If you don't have the manual click on the below link. Scroll down until you see Duo-Therm*DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE MANUAL*Comfort*Control*Center ... Click on the link to download the manual for the control. Find "Section 1 Operation" Go to Sub-Section E "Zone and Stage Selection Buttons". If you have the 5 button control as I do it is much easier just push the zone button to switch zones. With either controls you can run both AC's or or one zone at a time.

4 button comfort control duo therm - Yahoo Search Results
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #27

a/c

I have a national dolphin 1999 and that was quite a puzzle to me also You just got a correct hit on your problem the dometic thermostat you have you have to input which unit you want to use when on shore power and when on gen you can use both and your panel is a smart load center and hard to out smart hope this helps Cubflyer
cubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #28

a/c

Correction: Duo Therm thermostat as ch boone said I keep wondering When he wood hit on the problem, hes pretty sharp and hard to stump

cubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote