RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
This whole thing is Unbelievable and I thank you guys for all the help. I called the mfg of the climate management control system and talk to the owner Intellitec. This even has him baffled.

pieflsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please let us know the cure, may help another owner.
The guy in this post may be of help Rick Baxter, he worked in the service department at National RV before it closed.

Possible Help Source

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #31

I just purchased a 2007 Surfside 32C myself. I think I might have a little information. It appears (according to the NRV brochure) that when a second A/C is ordered it is required to order 50 amp service and a 5500 watt generator. I suspect some dealers may have ordered units with the 5500 watt generator but left off the 2nd A/C and the required 50 amp service to save costs. It looks (at least on mine) like the dealer then installed a second A/C and cobbled a 50 amp service (actually one leg at 20 amps and one at 30 amps on a 50 amp cord) together on a unit that initially only had 30 amp service.

I just brought it home a couple of days ago but my initial investigation has uncovered some wiring practices that I know no reputable manufacturer would install and I'm absolutely certain the manufacturer did not install the 50 amp service in my unit. I can only assume it was done by a not fully qualified technician.

After I complete tracking down exactly what has been done with the wiring I'll post what I find and maybe that will help someone else. However, it's entirely possible that my particular unit is unique.
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #32

Can you call me? I bought a used 2007 Surfside myself from a dealer who ended up being a fraud artist . The front air conditioner went out the first day I got it took it to a dealer they said it was a broken wire . The rear air conditioner has never cooled properly . a year and a half later the dealer now tells me that this rig was never designed to run both air-conditioners at the same time. He said that the wiring is burned that goes to the capacitor because it's overloaded . I have one thermostat and both air-conditioners have always come on at the same time . Shed lights as well. Someone mentioned that my control panel may have been replaced I'd like to see a picture of yours to see if it matches mine . I'm fighting the dealer now because I didn't want to pay the extra $130 diagnosis fee since a year and a half ago they should've told me this thing wasn't working right in the first place ! When I go to pick up the rig tomorrow he said he's going to show me how to shut off one of the air-conditioners the only way I can think of is to turn off one of the circuit breaker's which is ridiculous but I guess I'll find out tomorrow . This is not the dealer that sold it to me by the way these clowns never seem to get anything right . 702-373-3752. I'd like to discuss my motorhome with you since we have the same one thanks Joanna
Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #33

Topgunwinner,
I'll be glad to discuss the wiring of these units with you. Give me a few more days to finish tracking things down and to understand how the A/C control unit works then we can get together and try to figure these things out. I responded to your other post on this topic too. I'm starting to learn how they wired the unit but haven't gone thru everything yet.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieflsurfer View Post
This whole thing is Unbelievable and I thank you guys for all the help. I called the mfg of the climate management control system and talk to the owner Intellitec. This even has him baffled.
The Surfside 30A units have a climate control management system. It's located in the cabinet just to the left of the main breaker/fuse panel in the bedroom. Remove the cabinet bottom (4 screws) and you'll see it installed on the wall next to the converter. As near as I can determine (I've only had my 2007 Surfside for a week) it senses current draw via an inductive coil around the main incoming hot wire inside the breaker panel. It then controls the operation of one or both air conditioners based on load.

Control is thru the thermostat control circuits of the two air conditioners. There are no relays on the AC power lines to the air conditioners. So, moving the AC feeds to the units will not change anything. Changing the wires from the control unit to the thermostat control circuits of the 2 units would change which unit is on and which is not when current draw is too high.

There is also a selector switch on the control unit but I have no idea what it does and have not tried changing its position. I'm still trying to find a manual to the control unit but so far have come up empty. Stay tuned for more developments.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #35

The dealer told me just shut off the circuit breaker for the front or the rear that's the only option we have with this unit in the bedroom is where you would find the circuit breaker ..
Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #36

The heat/air systems in these units are pretty sophisticated. They have temperature sensors located in several places around the coach and the control circuitry is designed to cycle a/c units to maintain a constant temperature throughout the unit. It also tracks current draw from the a/c units in addition to other power devices like water heaters, refers, etc and factors those loads into control of the air units.

It's actually a pretty neat system. Additionally, you can operate the unit in a manual mode if you want to override the automatic system. However, it is a little complicated and it seems that documentation is non-existent.

My unit has been retrofitted with 50A service so it operates a little different from a standard 30A shore supply. However, I have run it on 30A and both air's operate just fine.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunwinner View Post
The dealer told me just shut off the circuit breaker for the front or the rear that's the only option we have with this unit in the bedroom is where you would find the circuit breaker ..
The breakers are in the 120 volt service panel, not sure where your is. Mine is in the bedroom at the base of the cabinet the rear TV is in, the panel is behind a small door.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote