Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the WIND

Ok, the advise and observations I am looking for have to do with sway due to cross wind and semi wind blast. My 1999 Tradewind handles very nice until you get in a cross wind. Like what we ran into going across Oklahoma this year. The cross wind was upwards of 40 mph. I had to slow speed down to 55 mph just to be safe and keep it between the lines. It is a Freightliner chassis, with air ride. It has new tires (less than 6k) and beads for balancing. Checked inflation, fine. My question is what have some of you done to remedy this situation? Is there a fix out there that will make the MH more stable in these kind of conditions? Is there a way to stiffen up the air bags? I don't want it to ride like a proverbial Sherman Tank either, just a little more stability in a stiff cross wind.

Thanks
Covelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
in 40 MPH winds, a lot of people find a stopping place for a nap. I don't think any rv handles well in 40mph cross winds.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Mine drifts with the wind like that as well. If the wind is steady it's just a matter of steering into it a little. But if there are gusts we jump sideways just like the eighteen wheelers. That big box just can't help but act as a sail. Best is change your route if you can to get those winds at your back

Dick
Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
in 40 MPH winds, a lot of people find a stopping place for a nap. I don't think any rv handles well in 40mph cross winds.
X2. That's one big sail and it shouldn't be driven in a cross wind like that, ESPECIALLY if it is gusting as you can't see them coming.
I was driving down hwy 666 in Utah several years ago pulling a 32' TT and the wind started blowing to where I was having problems holding it on the road and so I found a place to pull way off the road and stop. It seems as if several others had the same idea and there were about 6-8 trailers and MHs there. About 5 minutes after pulling off a large fifth wheel went blithely by swaying badly in the wind. Next thing we saw was him swerving badly and then first the trailer and then the truck flipping over on their sides and sliding down the road before stopping and completely blocking the highway. His comment,after he found some clean shorts in the wrckage was that he thought he could control it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I white-knuckled a trip from CT to Fargo, ND last summer. The east to west trip from CT to south of Chicago was fine, but once we started heading North towards Fargo - the wind was *CRAZY*.

At that time, I had spent about 15,000 miles behind the wheel of our '05 Gasser, but had never experienced the winds I did on this trip. The wind was so bad at times, that I just pulled over to take a break!! That along with the highway construction crossovers really made that a white knuckle leg for a couple of days.

What did I wish I had done before taking this trip?

- poly bushings for the front and rear
- Koni shocks for the front and rear
- McKinley/CHF fix for the swaybars

I have completed these changes to our '05 National RV Sea Breeze this weekend, taken a few test drives - and wish we did all of these right after we bought our RV 6 years ago.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Some of our best sight seeing has been to stopovers due to wind. We travel Indiana to Washington to see our son. I try to pick different routes to travel just to see different scenery. The one thing we do not avoid is the western winds which really can make it tiring to drive in. I have had a slide topper and awning blown apart from the high winds while on the road. I now use tarp straps to anchor awning brackets and sit out the high winds.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
X3 Be safe, pull off and wait for the winds to subside.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Covelo,

As you've noted you did not get any recommendations on what to do to the FL chassis. I was hoping you would have but it still might come.

We have a gasser chassis and as 2Labs reported there are things we can do and he did them. We have done all he's done and going East all is well. We have not done the Western run and based on the plains and high winds even the gasser chassis would be better served in a parking lot but again I don't know for sure.

I do know that a track bar helps a lot with lateral movement on the gas chassis. Also good shocks help a lot as they will dampen any up and down (bumps) or sway (winds) because sway also rocks the coach and the shocks will come into play.

I just don't know about shocks on a FL chassis. We'll have to wait until a FL owner responds.