Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Inherited 2003 Dolphin 5355

I recently inherited the thread title'd coach on a GM Workhorse chassis. It has been garage kept, and is spotless inside and out. It has been very well maintained and has many extras, such as a Xantrex inverter system, solar, new Michelin tires, newer Koni FSD shocks, rear air bags, new front leaf springs and sway bar, freshly resealed roof, etc.

I currently have a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 30B on a Ford F53 chassis. I am considering selling the Winnebago and keeping the Dolphin for numerous reasons, pro and con. I have weighed most of the options and think its the direction I am going.

One thing for sure, the Workhorse will out pull my Ford up grades, drives smoother, and is less effected by wind, even though it is several thousand pounds heavier and my parents did not travel light (I haven't had a chance to pull everything out and go through it, and its loaded with stuff).

Not totally convinced yet though and I have a few questions:

The ice maker water line fell apart and has not been repaired. How much work is it to fix? My dad said it wasn't worth the trouble. This coming from a guy who replaced the front leaf springs because the coach had a 1/2" list.

The gray water holding tank only drains if the coach is level or up in the front. Is this normal? Also takes a long time due to the smaller diameter drain than in the Winnebago.

While filling the fresh water tank, I think it got air trapped in the lines, which caused pressure and blew water out the overflow much faster than it was going in. Tank read 2/3 full. After about 350 mile road trip, and a overnight stay, tank was refilled and there seemed to be pressure building on the lines without it overflowing out the overflow. I stopped when the tank read full. Is there an issue with air bubbles causing problems with the water system? If so, how do I avoid and correct this?

Many thanks for any assistance.
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If I am not careful filling the fresh water tank, it will overfill and syphon out water down to around 3/4 full. I remember reading other owners complaining about water syphoning out when driving. So anything is possible.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

I would sell the Winnie if you can resolve the problems on your fathers rig. Sounds like it would be worth your while to have a trusted service center look if over to check all systems and give you estimates for the work you don't feel comfortable doing. Also the tank gauges are almost never accurate so it would seem that the water tank was full before you thought it was and then overflowed through the vent as it should. The ice maker issue should be pretty simple. Plumbing on RV's is very much like your normal house.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inherited 2003 Dolphin 5355

Which floor plan do you prefer? That's the major deciding factor. You spend a lot more time living in a coach than driving it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The water tank wasn't full, but I think the right answer was posted; I have to fill it slowly or it will push water out the overfull before its filled.

I think I need to pull the fridge to replace the water line.

The floor plan on the Dolphin is much nicer than my Winnebago. Its 4' longer, has two large slides vs one, bigger dinette and couch, leather recliner, etc.

Does anyone know if the holding tanks need to be level to drain, or is there an issue with the gray water tank?

Regards
Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you decide to sell the Dolphin, I know a guy that is looking for a good one.
But If I were you, I'd keep it. Ya just can't beat the quality of a Dolphin.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

The gray water tank does drain much slower than the black tank in my 05. I have found if I drain the black tank but leave the valve open the gray water seems to drains faster. I have wondered if it has to do with the venting.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
But If I were you, I'd keep it. Ya just can't beat the quality of a Dolphin.
I did notice they seemed to splurge with the stuff you can see, and cut corners with some of the stuff you don't. The good by far outweighs the bad, so I think I will keep it. It is full of memories for me as well. I am going to switch out some things that I updated on my Winnebago before I sell it (new flat screen TV's and DVD player, newer solar panels and digital Blue Sky controller, trailer brake controller, vent covers, etc..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
The gray water tank does drain much slower than the black tank in my 05. I have found if I drain the black tank but leave the valve open the gray water seems to drains faster. I have wondered if it has to do with the venting.
Thanks for the tip. You have any issues with the gray tank not dumping while the coach is orientated nose down? I can dump the tanks on my Winnebago backed up in my driveway, which is fairly steep.

I also really like the 90* elbow in the pipe from the toilet to the tank that seems to become a poop and paper catcher. In the Winnebago, you can see the tank through the pipe. Friend has a Sea Breeze and its plumbed the same, both gray and black.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
If I am not careful filling the fresh water tank, it will overfill and syphon out water down to around 3/4 full. I remember reading other owners complaining about water syphoning out when driving. So anything is possible.

Fred
We had the trouble on both the '00 and '02 DSDP's. The '02 wasn't too bad but it still did it. On the '00 I had to reroute the overflow line then it was OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The drain on the gray tank is at the rear of the tank.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The drain on the gray tank is at the rear of the tank.
Well that makes sense. I also noticed the drain line itself, before it connects to the main drain line goes up hill slightly. Not the best design.

Another question:
It has Duo Therm AC units which are quite noisy. The single unit I have on my Winnebago is very quiet compared to these. Is that just a thing with Duo Therm? I remember them being noisy since they were new.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #12

Hi bkennedy,

I love my 2005 Dolphin on the W22 chassis a great combination and well built coach.

I have not any issues filling the fresh water I am aware of. However draining the grey water is an issue that some times drives my crazy. I gave up trying to solve it and just let it drain slowly. Turns out the grey water tank is not a deep tank and the tube is almost as big around as the tank is tall. I find that a slight nose up but level side to side helps the draining somewhat.

I too had the ice maker water supply tube disintegrate. Turns out there is a wire heater that runs the length of the tubing to keep it from freezing in cold weather. Over time the heat from the wire heater destroys the plastic tubing and requires replacement. I attempted to remove my refer but was unable to get the unit to budge. I found all the mounting screws but my unit was held in place with some sort of compartment sealer and I decided to attempt a different approach to the repair. Here is a link to what I did to get the ice maker working again. At the end of the post you will see an update, after the update the the repair is still holding.

Link: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/repl...or-254447.html

Good luck,

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #13

Kept the Dolphin, sold the Winnebago. Took the Dolphin home yesterday and noticed there is a little solid red light on the dash, left side below the "emergency power" switch. Its labeled "Driving" and the red light is on all the time. Anybody know what that means, or how to turn it off? I looked through both the Workhorse and Dolphin manuals and don't see it listed.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkennedy View Post
Its labeled "Driving" and the red light is on all the time. Anybody know what that means, or how to turn it off? I looked through both the Workhorse and Dolphin manuals and don't see it listed.
It's the switch for your driving lights (fog lights).
kennersonf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin