RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Input needed on 2005 Dolphin W24

I've very new to RVing and been looking for months at diesel pushers and never can get price, condition and age together, below $75K.

I may have found an excellent deal on a gas 2005 N Dolphin 6355 LX with the W/H 24,000. This coach drove very close to a diesel with lots of power and almost no sway. The coach is tighter than any other gas RV I have driven.

The original owner has no problem having the coach inspected by a highly recommended company that does not sell RV's just works on them. This company has an RV inspection program. The owner has all records of maintenance.

This is not my favorite floor plan but does seem to be built very well and has what I need. The exterior is perfect. Little cleaning needed inside. 12,000 miles. 36 feet size should be easy.

Is it a real problem with National being out of business? Does anyone have any input as to what to look for? Any known issues?

Thank you for your help, Sandi

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

Sounds like a good deal to me, our friends had a 2003 Dolphin LX on the WH chassis and had no problems with it.

I don't see a problem buying an Orphan coach of quality build, ours became an orphan 1 year after we bought it, now with 72k miles, it's still going strong.

If it clears inspection with minimal issues I would say "GO FOR IT"

Best of luck and let us know if and when you get it

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

I'm nervous as the owner has only had a few calls on it. We were the first to come see it!!!!! All the dealers are saying all their units are moving so fast now that it is Spring. So naturally I thought there may be something I don’t know.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You didn't mention the asking price. This could scare folks off right away.

The National coach is a very well built Motorhome, and being on the W-24 chassis makes things even better.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSRG View Post
You didn't mention the asking price. This could scare folks off right away.

The National coach is a very well built Motorhome, and being on the W-24 chassis makes things even better.

Bill
Bill, He could have been a little high on asking but well within the NADA. Nice to here they are well built. That was what I felt being in the coach.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The "orphan" issue isn't really much of a problem with the amount of info available on websites like this one. A little digging can usually get you whatever you need. Plus, once a coach is out of factory warranty you're pretty much on your own anyway...

We bought our '05 Seabreeze new. We're out 6-8 times a year, local desert trips usually towing a 5000-lb. enclosed trailer. No complaints. So far, the only real problems we've had (attributable to build quality, anyway) have been the bedroom-slide drive-gear issue and a minor leak at the front-cap joint.

Make sure the brake recall has been done.

My $.02, anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Welcome Lenjen; I also have a 2005 Dolphin gasser and I love it. I've said before, the ride the comfort and quality are second to none - IMHO... National did a great job when they were in the RV business, it's too bad they had to close. I've had some very minor problems since I've had mine for just about a year now, a fuse and the wiper module. I'm getting ready to retire so my Dolphin will be used much more in the near future. If you like the layout and the price is in the NADA ballpark, go for it. I had a motor home sold out from under me last year 12 hours before I was to take a 200 mile trip to view it, so it does happen. I bought mine from the owner for just about the price I was willing to pay, this is more than a hobby it's a life style.

Enjoy
Lit
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I understand it right the W24 is not a candidate for the Brake Recall.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Thank you, Lit, great to hear for a happy Dolphin owner. I lost my dream unit early on. That is why this has been such a long process trying to find it again.

Thank you for the welcome, John and Cathy R. There was some type of recall on this unit and the owner took care of it. He has a folder with every oil change and servicing included.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without knowing the price, the unit sounds good. The WH W24 is an added benefit. Very stout and capable chassis. We have it under our 5376. No worries about being an orphan. All the wear items can be replaced. The only thing you might need is body pieces and they are still around as well. The front and rear lighting is all regular Ford and GM OEM. Just make sure everything works and buy it right. Used RV are worthless today, you should do very well if you bargin.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Per our signature, we bought our Dream RV last May in Az. It had 6600 miles for just around your budget. The 05 you are looking at should be well below that price, IMHO>

Ours is an 08 with the w-24, we could not be more satisfied, a very well built coach, so sad they went belly up. Our layout is probably exactly the same as the unit you are looking at.

The 12,000 miles is really very close to our 6600, and it's 3 years older, take a good look at the maintenance records to ensure all servicing has been done. We lucked out as-well as the Workhorse chassis drive-train warranty was extended to five years in 06. So, a little more less stress to Nov.2012 for us. But we do not forsee any issues, it is a really strong drive-train.

Again, if all of the factors meet with your approval, there is not much reason not to own a National RV/Dolphin. Good luck. Eugene.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy owner here too!
2005 Dolphin 5376 on a W24. After replacing the shocks with Koni FSD's we are totally happy with the coach. I am lucky to be able to care for it as things will break and need a little repair. No RV is immune from that. If you ever need help give me a shout at 928-830-2248. Glad to help a fellow Rv'r
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #13

Sorry to be so long in getting back to everyone. The last few weeks have been very busy and my laptop and phone were almost no signals on our 7 day adventure.

I got the 2005. It is in exceptional condition inside and out. The inspection found minor things that the seller had repaired. We are set with new tires, fluids, and wax job.

I’ve made two trips out for 5 and 7 days. Only two issues to deal with:
  • Snow on the TV. It has the converter but I need to check the wires for tightness or this may be the way it is with just the factory install antenna. . There are more devices in the component cabinet than we have in our home. So research of the paperwork is a must.
  • There is no comfortable place to have a drink or cell phone. The console is almost useless, very flat and more than an arms length away for me.
  • I need to buy some kind of road side service.
Any suggestions are very welcome.

Edouard: This coach has the push button transmission. I bought it for $20,000 less than my max (for a diesel). It is the 6355 LX.

Rick and Julia: You are so thoughtful. Your phone number is in my cell under important people. Hopefully I will not need to call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	9668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	9669  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	9670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin 4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	9671  

Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a cup holder mounted to the wall next to the drivers seat and an other mounted next to the passenger seat. Cell phone? Bluetooth through the stereo. My HTC Inspire is voice capable so I don't have to touch the thing while under way. I bought a bluetooth reciever on eBay. It's a Motorola DC800. It plugs in to the aux input on the back of the stereo. It allows the use of hands free driving. It allows streaming of music from my laptop and streaming music from Pandora, through the phone, to the stereo. All very cool tech things I like to play with.
Good luck with your new rig. The floor plan looks very much like our, even the light colored wood. The bedroom looks a little different. We have two slides back there and the bed is attached to the drivers side slide.
Cheers