Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Inside AC coils

I was doing a little work inside today and decided to clean the ac filters. After I pulled the filters I noticed a cob web up inside. I happen to have a flash light on the counter. I was shocked when I looked up inside the unit. The coil inside both of my units was almost solid with dust, grass and styrofoam balls (from the insulation). The actual coil was only visible in a few spots.

There is only a small opening to work thru and I used a flexible clothes dryer vent brush to get up into all of the areas. I followed this up with a good shot of air from the compressor. I can at least see all of the coil unit now. I have cleaned the outside coil twice a year and the filters more than I can count. I just never thought about up inside the unit.

Something else that can be done at this time is to add a little duct tape to all of the seams that you can reach. I think this will help with some of the stuff that gets sucked in plus cut down on the hot outside air that is drawn thru the cracks.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The coil is still probably pretty well plugged. You have gotten the surface gunk off. The best thing to do is to remove the unit from the roof. Once on the ground, with the cover off, there is a plate over the evaporator coil area. Remove this cover plate ...lots of sheet metal screws. Now get a can of foaming coil cleaner and follow the instructions on the can. Rinse the coil throughout from the back side. Do not use a lot of water pressure or air pressure as the aluminum fins are fairly soft and easily damaged.

Now be sure and stay current on the air filter cleaning.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I agree that the unit needs major follow up. I have been on top of the internal filters while I have been the owner. The material that was pluging mine was from external sources. The grass and Styrofoam did not get picked up in the day to day filtering. This had to come from leaks in the system over the years of service.

My wife works for Lennox believe me I get my ear full on the upkeep of AC units in my little world.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Simple Green works fairly well also. not as good as commerical coil cleaner but will work on small jobs
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote