Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Install traveler on 08 Dolphin

Have a 08 Dolphin and want to install a Traveler sat dish. Is my rig prewired?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
If you have an existing dome on your rig, yes the hole is already cut into your roof.

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

I would not do it.
Several reasons, mostly roof mounted dishes/domes do not work if blocked by trees. Second, the Winegard Travler is expensive. Third, they are not very well made. In 10 years we are experiencing our second failed unit. Lastly, their customer service is horrible. They will refuse to sell you parts to fixmit when it breaks. The company as a whole is only OK in my estimation with poor customer service.
You would be better off buying one of the portable domes or an open faced dish/tripod package, one you can move to open area.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the roof mounted Winegard Traveler Dish 1000 on my 2003 Dolphin L/X in 2012 and have been very happy with it. Never had any trouble. You push the button on the controller inside the motorhome and it automatically locks in on three satellites. Yes, they are little expensive and yes, trees will block the signal. On my last trip from California to Maine I had reception in all but two RV parks due to trees. If you ask for a satellite friendly spot when making a reservation, most parks will try to accommodate you. My motorhome was pre-wired for satellite. I did not have a dome satellite unit. The was a surface mounted electrical box on the roof that housed two coax cables and a 12V wire. One of the coax cables was a dedicated cable to the rear TV and the other was a dedicated cable to the front TV. The coax and 12V ran through PVC electrical conduit in the ceiling. The 12V wire was not compatible with the 12V controller wire of the Traveler unit so I used the old wire to fish the new one through the conduit. I found the best price on the Winegard Traveler through PPL Motorhomes in Texas. They delivered the unit to my house.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I installed mine in 2010. I had pretty much the same experience as Fred.
The Trav'ler comes with new coax and the controller cable which are easy to fish thru the existing roof conduit. You do want to use the new cabling. The coax is an upgrade for HD application and as Fred said, the controller needs it's power cable. You must install at least 2 coax cables to the head if you intend to use a Hopper. We tried to install one of Dish's latest units last Winter but the Trav'ler isn't exactly compatible unless you do some jury rigging, so we uninstalled it. It uses all 3 Cables to the head and different LNB's. The Dish tech made the switch and it worked because the antenna was pointed already. As soon as we stowed it the handshake capability was lost and that's where the jury rig comes in.
Anyway, I removed the surface coax box and fabricated an aluminum plate that covers the holes and secures the coax cover a little better in my opinion. I had the plate powder coated white. Nothing involved is rocket science!
Dish makes a plate that goes on the roof under the antenna to provide a surface for the reflector roller to run on if necessary. I did not use one on mine, but did on another one that I installed to cover holes in the roof that were right where the roller had to run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	175198  
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lukerduke View Post
Have a 08 Dolphin and want to install a Traveler sat dish. Is my rig prewired?

Most likely not prewired for a Traveler but you may have some existing wires. If not it is not that not that big a deal to add a hole and drop the wires thru. Just do a little pre-planning to make sure you have access and can get cables where you want them inside.
When I mounted the Travler I did use the extra plate to help cover existing holes and a spot for roller to ride on.
I really like the Travler so far it has worked well and compared to the roof mounted dome we did have the performance is night and day.

Tags
dolphin, install, travel