Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Instrument Panel failure

2000 National, Freightliner Chassis

My instrument panel quit during our last road trip, it started with guages acting up about 1/2 at a time then they would stop and the other 1/2 work for a while. Progressing, whenever we hit a bump in the road they would all go off and reset like when the ignition is first turned on, then finally nothing at all -- no lights, no gauges.

Searching the issue here, there were multiple recommendations to add a ground wire, but I cannot find any place to do that.

There is also a link to service bulletin 54-12 that has troubleshooting steps (including testing for ground and power at specific pins) but the connectors on the Message Center do not match mine -- any chance someone can point me to the correct similar document?

I called Freightliner to see if they could direct me to a similar document but they did not find one, suggested driving to a service center to test the VDC.

I have already tested the fuses and relays
mgambalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #2

Have you cleaned the connections at the VDC ?

Yours if the first issue I've heard of that the 54-12 wasn't the document for the wiring on coaches of our era.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:01 AM   #3

2007 Freightliner I replaced the Light Bar Controller a few months ago. About $500 from Freightliner. I tried getting it repaired at an instrument shop. Part of the LBCU is sealed and not repairable.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

Hey Darwin sounds to me as the instrument cluster needs repair like mine did from a previous post I replied to not sure what instrument shop you tried but I had to send mine out for repair to a company that works on the older instrument clusters but very quick turn around. The company I used was R.T. Grim out of PA. Look them up give them a call maybe able to help you out
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

I also had a bad LBCU. My entire dash would drop in and out. Eventually quit all together and did not come back on. A new LBCU fixed it.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have you cleaned the connections at the VDC ?
Yes, I removed both of them, sprayed each side with contact cleaner, then connected/disconnected several times.

Quote:
Yours if the first issue I've heard of that the 54-12 wasn't the document for the wiring on coaches of our era.
I stand corrected; I rechecked both connectors and they DO match. I will start the troubleshooting list tomorrow in daylight.

The first two "Remedies" require checking harness continuity -- Did I miss a page, do we get the endpoints from another source, or does that mean unwrapping the spaghetti and following it down?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambalie View Post

The first two "Remedies" require checking harness continuity -- Did I miss a page, do we get the endpoints from another source, or does that mean unwrapping the spaghetti and following it down?
Are you in the first two troubleshooting items on page 6 ?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The first two on page 6 and page 7. I was trying to jump ahead to the MC pins tonight, I will wait for daylight to check the VDC pins.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #9

I'll see if tracing through my wiring schematic , will provide any insight into the power supply for those wires.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Working through the steps today, I may have figured it out, please correct me if not.

The steps have us check pins at the VDC and the MC for the same values -- do I assume correctly that those are the two endpoints of "the harness" to check for continuity?

I got to step-3 (first on page 7) and have 22 ohm to ground on MC pin-8, VDC pin-G is dancing all over the place, it doesn't settle long enough to take a reading. If I understand this to be "no ground" then I assume the harness continuity check will be from the MC-8 to VDC-G... I have round up 20 feet of wire to test between those two points.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
I have round up 20 feet of wire to test between those two points.
I'll re-read your post and the 54-12 and get back to you .

I've used a 120v extension cord to run from one end of the coach to the other for continuity checks . Ohm check the cord first , but it'll probably be just fine.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
I'll re-read your post and the 54-12 and get back to you .

I've used a 120v extension cord to run from one end of the coach to the other for continuity checks . Ohm check the cord first , but it'll probably be just fine.
Thanks,
now why didn't I think of that!
Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks,
now why didn't I think of that!
It's not that I'm older , it's just that I've spent more time with my back to the wall .

Thank you " Dr. Hook "
Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #14

Ok , I'll have to do some digging here , because to me the procedure isn't clear , are you checking the harness from the dash to the VDC , or checking the connectors at both ends , for continuity to ground .

OK , I've been scrolling back and forth between , the pdf of 54-12 and your post and I think I'm going to have to print out the pdf to save some time .
To be 100% honest , I haven't run these tests so I'll be taking a while to print out the pdf and my schematics to trace the wiring through .
It may be later tonight but I'll be back .

Tags
panel