RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I removed the front TV yesterday using all the good instructions that can be found on this forum. Not a bad job but; wow is that thing heavy. I have seen several postings on people either taping or gluing insulation to the front cap prior to installing the new flat panel. My question is; is there any reason I could not place a cardboard wall about 3 inches from the front cap, poke a hole in it and spray that expandable foam insulation goop. I would then remove the cardboard leaving the foam stuck to the wall. Does this sound like a good idea or not? Suggestions??

bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #2

I would be hesitant to foam up all the space behind my cap, mainly because of the wiring that runs across that area including the marker lights. It would be tough to service any of the circuits, however unlikely that may be. Also, can you adequately control the spread of the foam? Maybe a combination of rigid foam and expansive foam? Don't let me discourage you, though, because it probably would be effective.
I used encapsulated fiberglass batting that I crammed into the side spaces as well as I could reach, and it is pretty effective. Some heat still comes through but nothing like before the TV change-out.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #3

That would take a lot of cans.The cardboard would become permanent which is not a bad thing.I would fit rigid foam panels and seal the joints with the cans.Fiberglass batts would probably be easier.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

I think I would use fiberglass also. I am not sure the manufacturer of the canned foam envisioned a large expanse of foam like that for insulation. Those cans are normally used for small crevices and the like. I would be concerned with the fumes venting for quite a while after the installation of the foam.
Not to mention that it is difficult to judge the amount of expansion and accessing anything behind that foam would be difficult to service.
I did like others, used fiberglass batting stuffed up there when I did my TV changeover to LCD. Both for the ease of installation and cost.
And, Yea that stock CRT is Heavy. Our owners manual for the CRT said it weighed 88 lbs. I ended up wedging a 2x10x6ft under the TV and slid the TV down the board onto the floor. Then is was much easier to move out of the RV.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

One further comment. I said I used encapsulated fiberglass which is wrapped in plastic so you don't have loose fibers flying around, and I taped and stapled the cut ends. If I had a redo, I would try to apply some aluminum foil directly on the back of the cap first. That would help reflect some of the radiated sun heat off.
As far as moving the TV, $20 was well spent for me to have two strong men come in, remove my dead TV, and haul it away.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

I don't really know if insulating the front cap would really do any good.
The way I see it, most all the cold air comes via the windshield. How ya' gonna insulate that?
We've been thru some fairly cold nites on our travels, and when I open that curtain in the morning....wow!
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by jerseyjim:
I don't really know if insulating the front cap would really do any good.
The way I see it, most all the cold air comes via the windshield. How ya' gonna insulate that?
We've been thru some fairly cold nites on our travels, and when I open that curtain in the morning....wow!
Jim
It seems it would depend on what ones expectations are.
Since I insulated the entire space behind the front cap, I have a much more comfortable cooling situation in the summer while driving into the sun. In addition, the entertainment center operates more closely to the interior temperatures.
Noise level is also reduced somewhat.

Too cold has never been an issue for me. To hot with the afternoon sun on a westerly facing coach is an issue addressed by the added cap insulation.

Marty
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #8

We had the old tube TV out for three months before I was able to install the insulation and new TV. I felt the effects first hand, and believe me, the heat build-up in the overhead space was significant, as well as heat loss at night. The insulation helped a lot. Sure, a windshield is a loss also, but the curtain helps some, and I use a solar screen on the outside when we park.
I called NRV before they closed up to get info on getting the old TV out, and the tech told me to insulate. Makes me wonder if NRV insulated the OH cap after my 2005 model.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #9

I also fit a piece of soft foam under the dash to the floor.Makes a big difference.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OK!! After reading the replies and consulting with the boss (DW) I went with just plain old fiberglass insulation like you would install in the walls of your house. I used liquid nail which I applied liberaly to the fiberglass cap. I then pressed the fiberglass side of the insulation into the liquid nail leaving the paper side out to keep down any residue. Tomorrow I will start with the installation of the TV itself.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We had the old tube TV out for three months before I was able to install the insulation and new TV. I felt the effects first hand, and believe me, the heat build-up in the overhead space was significant, as well as heat loss at night. The insulation helped a lot. Sure, a windshield is a loss also, but the curtain helps some, and I use a solar screen on the outside when we park.
I called NRV before they closed up to get info on getting the old TV out, and the tech told me to insulate. Makes me wonder if NRV insulated the OH cap after my 2005 model.
They did not put more than a 8 inch high strip of foil type right at the edge of the windshield where it's tinted.