RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter powering 6 gallon hot water tank?

Does anyone know if my heart interface Freedom 458 combination inverter charger 2000 watt has enough power to run the 6 gallon hot water tank as I drive down the road. I understand that it will not run it when you are not hooked up to power. But going down the road is another story. So basically I would like to have hot water when we get to the point of stopping in the evening, off of the 110 volt inverter. Originally the 110 volt was burned up on the hot water tank. I made the necessary repairs and I have heated it one time while it was still plugged in 2 power . it got and hot! Tomorrow I take a new trip down to Escalon California for Christmas and then down to Ridgecrest after that. I am very excited to finally get back on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Your water heater element draws 1440 watts ; standard element ; IF!, you were willing to re-wire the inverter to power the water heater only ; the water would heat.
BUT! the extended heavy draw could drain your battery power and over work your alternator.
There are water heaters that are plumbed through the heater hoses , to heat the water while traveling, the change over is, an expensive alternative.
The less costly would be to turn on both the LP and 120volt , on the existing heater when you arrive.
With both systems on you'll have hot water in about 20 mins.
Hook up to power, turn both on, by the time your finished the rest of your set up in site you'll have hot water.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Unless the wiring was revised to pull power from the inverter I doubt your inverter is powering the water heater.

If the wiring was changed to try and use the inverter I would be hesitant to try. The water heater pulls probably ~10 amps on 120 volts, this would be 100 amps on 12 volt. Your alternator probably puts out 160 amp ( maybe 200) which is not enough to maintain your battery banks and heat your water.

My wife tried to cook something for an extended time in the microwave, after a short period of time bells and whistles went off as the batteries got very low.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your water heater element draws 1440 watts ; standard element ; IF!, you were willing to re-wire the inverter to power the water heater only ; the water would heat.

BUT! the extended heavy draw could drain your battery power and over work your alternator.

There are water heaters that are plumbed through the heater hoses , to heat the water while traveling, the change over is, an expensive alternative.

The less costly would be to turn on both the LP and 120volt , on the existing heater when you arrive.

With both systems on you'll have hot water in about 20 mins.

Hook up to power, turn both on, by the time your finished the rest of your set up in site you'll have hot water.

X2. Don't even try it. Resistance heating elements just draw to much power.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Just fire it up on propane while in transit and let the propane heat the water up.......simple

Why try to make RV so complicated.......
They are self contained units.
Use the equipment as designed and for what it is for.

Engineering as already taken it safety features/devices for safe operation.

Otherwise I wouldn't want to use while sleeping!!!!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Just fire it up on propane while in transit and let the propane heat the water up.......simple

Why try to make RV so complicated.......
They are self contained units.
Use the equipment as designed and for what it is for.

Engineering as already taken it safety features/devices for safe operation.

Otherwise I wouldn't want to use while sleeping!!!!!
But..But...it's so much more fun to think "outside the box".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I need or want electric while driving I just start the generator. Start your generator a 1/2 hour before you arrive at your destination and turn the water heater on if you don't want to run it on propane.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
When I need or want electric while driving I just start the generator. Start your generator a 1/2 hour before you arrive at your destination and turn the water heater on if you don't want to run it on propane.
X2 I like doing it this way. I use to run with the propane on but stopped after reading some of Mac the Fire Guys comments
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
X2 I like doing it this way. I use to run with the propane on but stopped after reading some of Mac the Fire Guys comments
Use the inverter to run fridge and small draw items (tv etc)on the road as thats what its intended for
use Lpg for furnace and water heater as that's what its for
run Gen set only if the Roof AC is required while driving
I have been running with lpg my whole life and so does everyone else
that I know or meet on my travels
there is zero danger when used accordingly
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #10

yes, you should be able to...

our Palazzo has a Magnum MS2012 inverter, with 4 coach batteries... but,
I don't keep the Water Heater(Atwood 10gallon) on after I land, but only
while I am driving since the ALTERNATOR helps recharge the batteries thru
the Charger while the Water Heater is heating the water.
Have never had any issues with the water heater draw, UNLESS, you are
constantly using a lot of hot water while traveling, thus the unit has to
work A LOT more.

It's like the question about a residential fridge on an inverter...
if you never open the fridge door, the batteries will CERTAINLY be able
to maintain the fridge for much longer than if you are constantly
opening the fridge door.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

its extremely unusual that the factory would wire a water heater through a inverter especially a smaller one like this
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledrob View Post
Does anyone know if my heart interface Freedom 458 combination inverter charger 2000 watt has enough power to run the 6 gallon hot water tank as I drive down the road. I understand that it will not run it when you are not hooked up to power. But going down the road is another story. So basically I would like to have hot water when we get to the point of stopping in the evening, off of the 110 volt inverter. Originally the 110 volt was burned up on the hot water tank. I made the necessary repairs and I have heated it one time while it was still plugged in 2 power . it got and hot! Tomorrow I take a new trip down to Escalon California for Christmas and then down to Ridgecrest after that. I am very excited to finally get back on the road.
Okay today I have traveled from Oregon at home to Redding California and did not try using the hot water tank on the phone while driving. Once I got plugged into a 50 amp power I turn it on and did not bother timing how long it took to the Heat. And I just got through having dinner and run the hot water and got out digital laser thermometer to test the temperature. 150 degrees and that's not adjustable that is with the thermostat control high and low buttons that sit up against the tank there are the original settings I am assuming, damn that is hot. I would almost be afraid that I would burn myself trying to use it but tomorrow morning will tell.
The system that heats your water off of your engine radiator system as you drive is merely a pipe that is tack welding to your tank and his water passes by it merely acts as a heat exchanger but not by very much seeing as how it's aluminum it will pass the heat transfer very easily. Well that's all for tonight.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But..But...it's so much more fun to think "outside the box".
I love to think outside the box if you don't think outside the box you're not thinking.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
Use the inverter to run fridge and small draw items (tv etc)on the road as thats what its intended for
use Lpg for furnace and water heater as that's what its for
run Gen set only if the Roof AC is required while driving
I have been running with lpg my whole life and so does everyone else
that I know or meet on my travels
there is zero danger when used accordingly
I knew my post would bring out comments like that out. I have and do run the frig off the Inverter. Actually if I I'm only driving for a couple of hours I don't worry about it just leave the frig off while traveling. You do want you want, I'll do what I want.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power, tank, water