RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is a 6-pin connection normal on Dolphins?

We are installing a Roadmaster Universal Wiring Kit and everywhere I call they ask me if I have a 4-pin or 7-pin connection. Everyone seems surprised that I have a 6-pin configuration. Is this normal on Dolphins??

I'm told I will either have to buy an adapter or we can modify our existing 4-pin electrical cable from our previous dingy. Has anyone run into this before?

Thank you,
Susie

TangoDancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National RV used 6 and 7 way connections, in most cases 6 way round pin, and 7 way blade. You can get an adapter from 6 way round to 4 way flat or 7 way blade to 4 way flat. If your dingy connection is 4way round you will need to modify. And yes 6 way was normal. I use a 7way to a 4 way flat adapter.

If you need to modify, you can get a 6 way round plug and only use the 4 wires needeed.

Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago's also come with a 6 pin, however most toads only need 4 pin. I purchased a 6 to 4 pin at walmart an then used the roadmaster kit that included diodes on my Explorer.

Had it installed at CW. Don't remember the cost but was worth it to me with my back.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Winnebago's also come with a 6 pin, however most toads only need 4 pin. I purchased a 6 to 4 pin at walmart an then used the roadmaster kit that included diodes on my Explorer.
Jerry/Patsy -- Thank you for the information. I'll definitely check into it. I'd rather not have to cut into my electrical cable. Can you tell me if having an adapter makes it any more susceptible to falling out? That would be my only concern.

Richard -- Thank you again for coming to the rescue. I'm going to see if I can buy a 6-way round pin adapter to a 4-way round pin, since that's what my electrical cable is. If not, I guess I'll have to have someone modify it.

Thanks so much!
Susie
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Susie

Here is what you need for $9.00.
Pollak 6 Pole to 4 Pole Connector Adapter Pollak Wiring PK12717

I got one of these for my Tradewinds which is 6 way as well.

Dick
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We used a 6 way round to 4 way adapter on our previous coach with no problems falling out. On our new coach, we use a 7 way flat to 4 way adapter and at first secured it to the 4-way plug from the toad with wire ties, but those were really not necessary and when they broke I didn't replace them.

Both the 6 way and 7 way adapters are held into the receptacle on the coach with the spring-loaded cover (at least on our receptacles) so they could not fall out easily.

BTW, I bought both from WalMart, and are available at lots of other places as other posters have mentioned.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Susie

Here is what you need for $9.00.
Pollak 6 Pole to 4 Pole Connector Adapter Pollak Wiring PK12717

I got one of these for my Tradewinds which is 6 way as well.

Dick
I saw this but it's for a 4 pole "flat" but we have a Roadmaster electrical cable with 4-pin round connectors . So, I either need to find an adapter that is "round" on both ends or we'll have to cut the cable and change out the connector there.

Thank you to everyone who's shared their advice on this.

Susie
Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The two most common connectors are 4 and 7 pin,, However on most 7 pins the center pin (#7) is almost never used (Well, on some trailers it's back up lights)

You can get a six to seven pin adapter at any U-Haul HItch World (And likely any U-Haul) and I suspect most Camping World or RV stores as well.

In fact, if you ever need to adapt one light connector to another... U-Haul is the store MOST LIKELY to have what you need. Since they do a lot of that stuff there.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Tangodancers is looking for is a 6way round to a 4way round and they don't make them.
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
If you have to rewire how about putting this on the Roadmaster cable.

Pollak 6-Pole, Round Pin, Trailer Wiring Connector - Trailer End Pollak Wiring PK11604

Dick
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never had the 6 to 4 work loose or come out, a pretty tight fit
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoDancers View Post
I saw this but it's for a 4 pole "flat" but we have a Roadmaster electrical cable with 4-pin round connectors . So, I either need to find an adapter that is "round" on both ends or we'll have to cut the cable and change out the connector there.

Susie
Susie, here's what I would do. First you need to figure out if the 6-pole receptacle on the coach side is wired for separate or combined signals. Most 6-ways are usually separate signals and brake lights. Your 4-way cord is wired for combined signal and brake. The only way to convert 6 to 4 is wiring in an adapter before the receptacle.

Now once you have that figured out, you have to make a decision as to which way you want to go. I can explain what I did for my coach.

I wired onto the rear of my coach a 4-way for my older Saturn which ran through the adapter I spoke about earlier. Then when I got the '06 Saturn Vue, I went back to the original 6-way coach harness and installed a 6-way for the New Saturn. Well after that, I decided I wanted to pull a cargo trailer and needed a 7-way receptacle with electric brake capability. So I ended up removing the older 4-way receptacle and using those wires in conjunction with additional wires for the electric brakes and attached them to the 7-way receptacle. So now I have both a new 7-way "combined signal/brake" to use and a 6-way "separate signal/brake" to use when towing my Saturn, (R TOWD).

I hope this helps you in understanding what you need to do and what direction you have to go in.

Good Luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoDancers View Post

Susie

Susie, get a 6 pin connector for the toad side. Identify the required 4 pins on the coach side and wire the connector on the toad side as required. We have done this 3 times for our units and different toads.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I swapped the 6-pin for a 7-pin. Most utility/cargo trailers with trailer brakes use the 7-pin.

Tags
6-pin, roadmaster, towing