Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
During the last couple of short trips, we've been hearing a whistling sound when we drive our '99 Tradewinds down the highway. A search around the windshield with a leaf blower finally disclosed the source of the air infiltration.

The windshield lower gasket on passenger side appears to have moved forward. Above this area, a section of the edge of the windshield (about 15 inches) is visible and no longer beneath the gasket. The rest of the gasket appears to be where it belongs. Here' a picture of the corner of the windshield.

Attachment 109115

First, am I in any imminent danger of losing the windshield? Secondly, what needs to be done to fix this?

Dale
It's time for a follow-up. I contacted RV Glass Solutions and was referred to a shop about 30 miles away. I drove my car there to talk to them and learned that their glass technician had left them about a month prior, and they would let me know if they got another one. Apparently, they've not replaced him, as I haven't heard back.

RV Glass Solutions then sent me a list of several installers within 50 miles. I've talked to one of them, and also with a local glass company that has done Class A RV windshields. The referral said they couldn't do it because somebody glued in the windshield (urethane), and it isn't designed to be glued in. The local guy said he could remove and re-set them, but he would insist on gluing it in, as Nationals are known to flex too much for the windshield to stay in place.

I was looking through prior owner's records and found that he had both windshields re-set in 2009. That vendor apparently glued them in. The local guy says 6 years is pretty good. (Really?? So I can look forward to doing this again in 5-6 more years??)

So, to glue or not-to-glue; that is the question. Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Dale
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dale, I have the same problem. I have glued the center myself, good for two years, now the right side has a small crack in the edge . That was two years ago , I was told that a glass company wanted to glue a replacement in. I will probably go with in the future. The crack has stayed the same and the glass has not moved. will wait and see.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

This MAY be relevant. I was told yesterday by a long-term National RV owner, that all the National models are known by many to have windshields break do to improper use of the leveling jacks. According to this fellow, who has owned different models of National RVs, the correct way to level any National coach, is to raise the FRONT FIRST, then the rear, which is the reverse of what I have read elsewhere. Raising the front first somehow stabilizes the front end and keeps it from flexing as much. On his current 2006 34' Dolphin, you can see where the windshield has pulled away about 3/16" from the seal, at the lower corner of the driver's side, as evidenced by the black adhesive line on the glass. He also said that when windshields are installed with adhesives that harden, it magnifies the breakage problem. Related? It would see possible to me.
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Yeah, I'd say you're risking the glass falling out unless you get it repaired quickly. I agree with blang, tape it up before moving it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just had one windshield replaced due to a crack, and the other reset due to leaking. I was told the crack was due to flexing of the frame either with the jacks or driving on uneven surfaces which twisted the entire frame.

They glued them in and let it set for a couple days for the glue to set. Looks okay now.

Going to try and be more careful in the future.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1997 Tropi-Cal and the owners manual states that you put the front jacks down first then the rear jacks. You then level side to side. Also make sure you have the jacks down and the motor home level before you put out any slides.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote