Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this a good approach to replace front CRT tv ?

We have decided to do this and install a flat screen.

Talking to an electronics person who works with a cabinet maker. There will be no articulated, locking mount or bracing.

A frame will be built and the new LED TV will be attached to a panel that will swing up... and close firmly. Frame will be a bit bigger than existing opening.

I did a search and saw lots of posts/pictures of this procedure. Most had articulating mounts. Hard to tell if any of these alterations were what we are thinking about.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
We have decided to do this and install a flat screen.

Talking to an electronics person who works with a cabinet maker. There will be no articulated, locking mount or bracing.

A frame will be built and the new LED TV will be attached to a panel that will swing up... and close firmly. Frame will be a bit bigger than existing opening.

I did a search and saw lots of posts/pictures of this procedure. Most had articulating mounts. Hard to tell if any of these alterations were what we are thinking about.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Sounds like an great way to upgrade to a flatscreen, the additional storage space behind the TV is great (we did it in our last coach)
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We did what you are talking about except for the swing up. The arms are mostly for installing a large LED TV which we didn't require. Fixing it to a frame limits the size to about 24" but we don't watch TV much when were out so that's big enough for us.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=AE67FF...766057&group=0

There is a folder in that link with details of the frame construction.

Dick
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the plastic fascia like I did then you'll have to make a frame. I did this on my front TV. Here's a link to my post when I did the installation.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/lcd-...-x-117797.html
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

I also made a frame. Without sounding too nebulous, the cross pieces that the TV is mounted to I installed to the solid mount frame parts using little rubber cushions with through bolts (like motor mounts are). Doesn't move around really, but does provide some isolation.

I'm not clear on the plan for the swing up, but it sounds intriguing. I didn't want to put stuff up there, but I can and do remove the plastic trim panel that remains under the TV area so I can get all up in there and access stuff. (I'm short, what can I say).

I thought the best thing about the access itself was being able to secure all the cables, beef up the insulation up there to help with noise control, etc.

I removed, recut, and reused all the wood molding that was around the original TV, and that worked out really well. The TV looks like it's always been there. We won't discuss how the very last cut on the very last piece of trim went, though....
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekgrr View Post
Sounds like an great way to upgrade to a flatscreen, the additional storage space behind the TV is great (we did it in our last coach)
Yep, I made the swing up mount out of plywood painted black and a piano hinge. But mine stayed down except when accessing the huge storage area where the CRT used to be.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Instead of a swing up, consider doing a side-hinged swing away with a piano hinge on one side and a latch on the other. I have done it both ways and I prefer a side mount if your situation allows for it. A side-hinged mount will not slam down if you release it and will be easier to maneuver than a swing-up in which you will need to lift the entire weight of the TV and its mount. I had trouble finding the right latch so I used a barrel type key lock which worked well to keep the swinging door closed while driving. The extra storage behind the TV was a neat bonus.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #8

I took a different approach to CRT replacement. My 98 Tradewinds has ample space above the entry door, so I removed the small shelf that was above the door. This allowed me room to install a 32 inch LCD on a pullout swivel mount. The reward was a good viewing angle throughout the entire front cabin area.
This will require extending the appropriate cables, I routed mine through the front side cabinet. I now use this cabinet to store my satellite receiver, and CD player. I also reversed the 110 outlet that is on the bottom of the cabinet to give a cleaner appearance. The original TV opening was covered with a walnut framed beveled mirror to match the other front cabinets.
newby vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446248496.773156.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	110764Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446248520.547689.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	110765Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446248544.071577.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	110766
I did the swing out thing using the original trim to frame out a box that the articulating arm is mounted to. I thought I would have to use a piano hinge but found a some at Home Depot that match the ones on the front storage cabinets. So far the are holding up well. I like that the TV swings out for a better viewing angle from the sofa.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced my CRT with flat screen and fabricated a sound bar to fill in open space above TV. We wanted to be able to hear TV while driving so sound bar worked great for us. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446252408.993450.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	110772
Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

I never liked the way NRV mounted the heavy weight CRT's, so when my fuzzy, clunker they called a TV came to the end of its useful life span (it didn't die, I sent it to recycle) I used the covering frame as a door frame, added hinges and a latch, and filled the opening with matching paneling. It makes a great place to store lightweight items such as pillows and blankets.

When we travel, the flat screen lies on the rear bed for short jaunts, or beneath it on long hauls. When we need the TV, it sits on the dashboard which is wide and is at a much better viewing level than when mounted to the ceiling (I get a stiff neck when I look up for a period of time).
Old 11-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
About a year ago I replaced both the living area and bedroom boat anchors with new lightweight LED tv's. In the living area I measured the width of the hole and went to Walmart and bought a tv that was that size. In the bedroom I mounted the new tv to the wall. I manufactured my own mounting system for the new living area tv and used black rubber weatherstrip to close out the area around the tv. I also stained a board to match the trim to place in the space the new tv didn't fill (about a 4" gap at the bottom). I also installed a satellite in motion antenna on the roof at the same time so I mounted the controls for the satellite to the new board I installed plus added two mirrors so both the DW and I can see what's going on inside the coach.

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	110925

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	110926

The bedroom pic is rotated 90 degrees for some reason. Sorry.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your help. I decided to have DirecTV come today and install a second receiver in the bedroom. That was the driving force behind the whole project. DW does not want to watch football/dumb movies in the bedroom while I am watching football/dumb movies up front.

A second receiver will permit her to watch Home Improvement/Animal Stuff and Home Shopping, etc., if she wants.

How did you work around this? New cable run ? (hope not).....diplexer or whatever; some newfangled switch box?

Anyone worked with DirecTV to do this ?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your MH should be pre-wired for satellite TV as mine was. There should be a gray electrical junction box on the roof of your MH. If you take the cover off of the box, you'll find dedicated coax cables going to both the front and rear TV's. Get a coax tester to figure out which one is which. The coax runs through grey conduit to the front of the MH. If you pull the ceiling light (in the MH) that is located under the junction box mounted on the roof, you'll be able to see how the coax is routed.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace