Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Jacks down during storage

I will store my 2004 Dolphin LX between November and March. Is it OK to put the jacks down partially to take some of the load off the tires?

Thanks
ctusdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Denny, I store mine with jacks partially extended. I use WD40 to spray the extended portion of the jacks to prevent corrosion during the storage season.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No absolute right or wrong here unless your manual for the jacks or the MH contradicts what I just said.

Suit yourself. I do not put my jacks down, tires lasted 10 years easy, no flat spots ever. I store for long periods of time. No one in my storage area has their jacks down. But lots of people on this forum have said they run them down and leave them. Probably like RV covers; a few do but most do not.

As to why I do not? Well I guess I think that if they are down and under pressure then there is more of a chance of something happening while I am not there; springing a leak in one jack comes to mind. Even so I guess it would not be such a problem as to do harm, but I like them tucked away. Frankly I never gave it much thought one way or the other. It doesn't hurt to have them tucked nor to have them down. If they are down I guess you need to clean them up after a long storage before raising them. I would.

Think it over and do what you think is best in your circumstance and that would be a right decision for you I am sure.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

If you do leave them down, make sure they're well protected from possible corrosion. WD40 will not do that, and may damage the rod seals when you retract the jacks.

I contacted the manufacturer of the system I have before the first winter. They said it was OK to leave them extended as long as you weren't "close" to saltwater. They defined "close" as within 60 miles.

Since we're right across the street from homes on a salt-water marina, we're probably within 60 yards! I leave mine retracted. I figure the tires can take not being moved for 4 months or so.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks guys. Good tips to ponder.
ctusdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto on what Norm and Frank said...its a personal thing.
We store in a large RV lot and can see the rigs that lower their jacks for storage...many have a milky finish visible on the shiney part of the jack leg from exposure (lot is about 8 miles from the Pacific).

If you do store with the legs down, use a silicon spray instead of WD-40. The WD in the name is for "water displacement." It does this by encapulating the water (results from a Consumer Reports test) and that water will stay within the lube until it dries out. Also WD-40 gets a little tacky after some time passes, which will make any dirt or dust stick to the part. Silicon spray does not usually have any of these cons.

Good luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage