Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Joining the "National Club"!

Hi folks--we just bought our first motorhome and it is a 2006 National Sea Breeze LXII 8341 floorplan. We are SO excited! (by the way does anyone know what the II means after the LX? All the specs I see just say LX). Anyway, we've been on the forum during our search with lots of questions but now we have a different kind of questions! Just a little background first--we are not retired yet so we are not using it for full-time--more like weekends and an occasional week long trip--at least for the next couple of years. It is just my husband and I (60's) and our 2 lab mixes. have a couple of basic "starter" questions at the moment, but I'm sure there are many more to come!

1. Do we need to lubricate the slides in any way? And yes, how often, with what, etc.--OR since we have limited time/ability to do some of the maintenance type work ourselves, is this a job that people typically have done at a mechanic? We need to take it in for an oil change, so is that something we would have done at the same time? I doubt if it was done recently by the previous owner--he took REALLY good care of it, and we talked about what he did with it at length, but forgot to ask him that question and he didn't bring it up. He has receipts for new leveling system, transmission work etc. so my guess is that he hasn't done any recent slide maintenance.

2. This model has the under bed drawers (2 on each side-about the size of a large shoe box, or "boot box)--have any of you converted that to a larger under bed storage--like where the mattress platform lifts up on hinges and you have a larger area to put things (like golf clubs)? Or is there something under that platform that would prevent that modification?

3. Oddly enough, the sticker in the MH related to the tires says they are 19.5" but the official National specs say they are 22.5" AND the tires themselves are 22.5" Any thoughts on that? Are we looking at it wrong? We want to see the factory information about tire inflation.

4. Any thoughts on a good TPMS system? We don't need the most expensive or the cheapest--just a good value that will do the job.

5. This motorhome handles very nicely, but we are still interested in enhancements like a steering stabilizer, the CHF, etc. since we live in the SW where the winds can get pretty stiff. What recommendations do you all have on this?

6. (Last one, I promise)...The specs say this model has both front and rear airbags--I'm assuming those are NOT the kind of airbags that cars have for collision--what does that mean?

Thank you all so much in advance--and I know we still have a LOT to learn! We are taking it for our first "over night" next weekend so I'm sure we will come up with even more questions!
jzlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can help with some of your questions. I am not familiar with you rig, but most are very similar. Find a facility that is known for rv service. They should help with tire size. They should know about the slides needing service. I just carry spray lube and do it my self. The air bags are at the axels (or one for each tire point. They air up when directed to. (somewhere there should be a control) for ride, they must be aired up to drive. (usually you hear a large air release when up) You can deflate when parked as step will be lower to ground. They also will help to level the rig. You might also have jacks. Welcome to our world!! Great pastime, so enjoy. Do not let miscellaneous repairs get you down. Even a brand new rig has some things just not right.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
National RV 2007 Sea Breeze LX Specifications and Features
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Here is a “down and dirty” summary:

1. I spray the rack and pinion slide gears annually with a dry lube, such as https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Graphite-...+graphite+lube

I am not familiar with Ford drive train fluid change intervals, however you should think about changing brake fluid and engine coolant.

2. No help on the drawers, except anything can be done with the right tools.

3. If you verify the tire size on the installed tires and they are 22.5” tires go to Michelin’s web site and download the fire inflation material. Michelin RV Tires | Handy reference materials and load and inflation tables for RV tire maintenance, RV tire management, warranty and technical information. | Michelin RV Tires.
You will need to have your coach weighed to determine the correct inflation. If you are unable to weigh the unit, use the default inflation based on the axle ratings. The default pressure will probably provide a harsh ride, but the tires will not be underinflated.

4. TPMS are fairly well established on the market. I have used the Doran Rvs, Fifth-Wheels, Tow Vehicles, and Trailers | Doran MFG | Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, School Bus Safety and LED for over 12 years years, other than a couple of sensor bathe system batteries failing, the system has worked well.

5. I prefer to make the motorhome handle the best possible, I have a Trac Bar and steering stabilizer on the front axle and a Tac Bar on the rear. While I experience some “Bow Wave” from trucks and high winds, nothing “White Knuckled”.

6. Not sure where the information on the chassis air bags comes from. I am presuming you have a Ford chassis since you mentioned the CHF. Did the previous owner install air bags to the chassis?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks all for your help! Yes, it's a Ford chassis--I think I saw the airbags in the 2006 specifications for this floorplan--I'm fairly certain the previous owner did not install them. Based on the description of one of the posters, I don't think we have them so the question may be kind of "moot"! We definitely do have jacks. We will also use the links everyone sent for our continued research--thanks again!
jzlarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national