RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #1

keeping MH plugged in during winter

Seeing I am living in the cold climate I would like to know what happens if I keep the MH plugged in. I like to keep the batteries charged up but the solar panels are covered with snow and won't work .Any other problems I could encounter by keeping the MH pluuged in? We have a 2000 Tradewind. Thanks. Gerald

Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you checking the battery water level periodically ?
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Gerald, I leave mine plugged in 24/7 365 days a year. Keeps the batteries in top condition. No problems, so I would say keep her plugged in. Keep in check with the water levels if they are wet cells.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #4

My 2c. I leave mine plugged in all the time. However. I have a switch on the isolation relay so I can shut it off and seperate the battery systems. I have a battery minder wired in for the chassis battery. They are $20.00. I don't like charging the deep cycle batteries and the regular chassis battery togeather all the time.
That said. I would leave it plugged in. You need to keep an eye on the water (electrolyte) levels in all batteries. They tend to lose less while being kept up by the system in your coach. If you don't keep them charged and they run down in cold weather they could freeze and break open. Then you have a mess.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Ditto on keeping it powered up. We also keep the refrigerator on and read to go. As mentioned above, just maintain the batteries. I suspect that power usage is smaller and may extend the life if the batteries if you also keep them serviced, but that is just a guess.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #6

Thanks for all your replies. Now I know what to do. Cheers Gerald
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems you are parked outdoors ? If so, what else are you doing ?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is plugged in 8/7 - on a timer to power on for 8 hours in the evening each day. Cuts down on the electric usage a bit. Reduces usage during peak hours, albeit a very small amount.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having the charger plugged in all the time is a good Idea to maintain the batteries fully charged. However, if you do not have a smart charger you may want to have it on a timer as Vince has his. Most smart chargers will go into a boost mode once a day for about 15 or 20 minutes to reduce sulfation of the plates when in the storage mode. With the timer turning the charger on and off it will get the acid moving in the battery and reduce the sulfation. The Battery Minder is an excellent way to prevent and remove sulfation in the battery. They employ Pulse Width Modulation (PMW) to remove and prevent sulfation.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #10

Hi Scooter; Other than the normal winterizing procedures I don't do anything else unless you have some suggestions for me what to do. Cheers Gerald
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
We live in a cold climate also and keep our Dolphin plugged in 24/7. Ours is stored outside as well, on the side of our home. Have the jacks extended a little further than usual for less weight on the suspension. Not sure that it's makes a difference, just something I do. We also keep the tires covered to keep the sun from getting to them. Then of course normal winterizing.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gerald, it sound like you have drained your water lines. If not,I have put a drop light with a 60 watt bulb inside our wet bay where there are fill lines and waste line valves.

We have also set the furnace to go on when the coach interior gets to 50 degrees or so as some of the heat will get to the various tanks. We have also set up a space heater with a thermostat inside the coach.

Also we do set some Dri-Z-Aire moisture catchers inside the coach.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #13

Thanks again for everybodys help much appreciated. Gerald

Tags
winter