RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
mrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 130
Leak in Hot Water Connector

I noticed a puddle of water inside the cabinet under the sink. I removed a panel and found a flexible hose line from the hot water heater was dripping at the swivel connection. (It's the top one. You can see that it's discolored, and there are dark marks on the copper pipe, just below the fitting.)

I've considered simply cutting the end off the hose and replacing it with a barbed 1/2" pipe fitting, but I'm wondering if National used the more expensive swivel because this hose moves when pulling the slide-out in or out.

I'm also open to replacing the entire hose. Has anybody had experience with this, or at least know where this hose goes, and how long it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170204_161812.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	154900  
__________________

__________________
Dale "MrK"
2012 Allegro Bus 36qsp
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 7,562
If you turn the plastic fitting back, you will see a rubber ferrule. Take the old one out and go to an RV Parts store to get a match. Buy three or four for spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	154901  
__________________

__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
mrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If you turn the plastic fitting back, you will see a rubber ferrule. Take the old one out and go to an RV Parts store to get a match. Buy three or four for spares.
I will pick up a few of those, just in case I need them, either for this project or whatever comes next.

Dennis, do these ferrules fit between the plastic female cap and the threaded brass fitting or do they go inside the brass fitting? I ask because it would appear they are placed at the connection of the brass male threads and the female plastic cap. My leak is at the swivel joint of the brass fitting, between the part compressed on the white hose and the male end. It does not leak where the threads connect to the plastic cap.
__________________
Dale "MrK"
2012 Allegro Bus 36qsp
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I will pick up a few of those, just in case I need them, either for this project or whatever comes next.

Dennis, do these ferrules fit between the plastic female cap and the threaded brass fitting or do they go inside the brass fitting? I ask because it would appear they are placed at the connection of the brass male threads and the female plastic cap. My leak is at the swivel joint of the brass fitting, between the part compressed on the white hose and the male end. It does not leak where the threads connect to the plastic cap.
Since you just posted this question, I will jump in with an answer in case Denis is delayed.

These are basically washers that go inside the plastic fitting. The other brass part is a simple PEX-to-1/2 MPT (male pipe threads).

While you are at the hardware store, look at "SharkBite" fittings. These are very handy because they just slip over the PEX with no tools needed. Good to have a coupling and a plug on hand just in case you have a leak.

I just had a leak on the input of my toilet. I did not have a shut-off vale handy, so I used a PEX cap to disconnect the toilet and still have water in the RV.

Regards,

Dan
__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -Cave Creek, AZ.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I will pick up a few of those, just in case I need them, either for this project or whatever comes next.

Dennis, do these ferrules fit between the plastic female cap and the threaded brass fitting or do they go inside the brass fitting? I ask because it would appear they are placed at the connection of the brass male threads and the female plastic cap. My leak is at the swivel joint of the brass fitting, between the part compressed on the white hose and the male end. It does not leak where the threads connect to the plastic cap.
I guess I misunderstood. If it's the connection between the hose and the brass, you would be best to remove the complete hose and replace it. You will still need the rubber ferrules. RV Parts store should be able to supply the hose or maybe repair the old one. Then all you need to do is put it back in place.
__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I will pick up a few of those, just in case I need them, either for this project or whatever comes next.

Dennis, do these ferrules fit between the plastic female cap and the threaded brass fitting or do they go inside the brass fitting? I ask because it would appear they are placed at the connection of the brass male threads and the female plastic cap. My leak is at the swivel joint of the brass fitting, between the part compressed on the white hose and the male end. It does not leak where the threads connect to the plastic cap.
Hi Dale,

Just want to point out that you really have two different piping types here.
The white "Stiffer" tube is PEX, and you use a special PEX fitting with a crimped band (never a hose clamp).

The you have the longer flexible reinforced hose which has a MPT fitting attached. You can't replace this with a single barbed fitting.

I understood your post to say that the washer is leaking (on the white PEX fitting). IF it is leaking from the crimp, you can cut that section, remove the crimp band (which leaves a barb, and reattach to the hose with a screw hose clamp or a pinch clamp (assuming the hose is long enough).

Hope this helps and does not create confusion.

Dan
__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -Cave Creek, AZ.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
mrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 130
I'd say that my initial post wasn't quite as clear as it should have been. I thank everyone for improving my vocabulary, so I'll try to re-state the problem:

A brass fitting is crimped onto the end of the flexible, reinforced hose. It is a one-piece fitting that swivels at its narrowest part, between the crimped portion and the male MPT section. The MPT section can rotate/swivel in order to thread it into the female connector, which is attached to the PEX tubing.

The leak is at the swivel area of the brass fitting, and further, it appears to leak where the MPT end is attached to the brass fitting via a flare of the brass tubing inside.

It seems that the best solution is simply to replace the entire flexible/ reinforced hose and its fittings, or possibly take the hose to a shop and have a new fitting installed in place of the leaking fitting. I'll also need a new ferrule to seal the new hose to the existing female PEX connector.

I hope I've interpreted everything correctly, and I really appreciate all the guidance. It may be a few weeks before I get around to removing the hose, as the Tradewinds is in storage right now. Can anybody tell where this flexible tube goes to so I'll know where to find the other end?
__________________
Dale "MrK"
2012 Allegro Bus 36qsp
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
I'd say that my initial post wasn't quite as clear as it should have been. I thank everyone for improving my vocabulary, so I'll try to re-state the problem:

A brass fitting is crimped onto the end of the flexible, reinforced hose. It is a one-piece fitting that swivels at its narrowest part, between the crimped portion and the male MPT section. The MPT section can rotate/swivel in order to thread it into the female connector, which is attached to the PEX tubing.

The leak is at the swivel area of the brass fitting, and further, it appears to leak where the MPT end is attached to the brass fitting via a flare of the brass tubing inside.

It seems that the best solution is simply to replace the entire flexible/ reinforced hose and its fittings, or possibly take the hose to a shop and have a new fitting installed in place of the leaking fitting. I'll also need a new ferrule to seal the new hose to the existing female PEX connector.

I hope I've interpreted everything correctly, and I really appreciate all the guidance. It may be a few weeks before I get around to removing the hose, as the Tradewinds is in storage right now. Can anybody tell where this flexible tube goes to so I'll know where to find the other end?
OK, That makes more sense. Actually what you are seeing is a lose crimp on the MPT fitting. It is NOT supposed to swivel. The hose has shrunk, and now the barb is spinning inside the hose.

Best two options is buy a replacement hose or remove the crimp and replace with a hose clamp.
My vote is a new hose. Home Depot will have faucet hoses, BUT they will have female Pipe threads on both ends. You can buy a "Close Nipple" for one end of the hose to get back to MPT.

The RV store may have the hose you need. And new washers for the whilte fitting is a good idea...but probably not a must (can always replace those later if you want).

Regards,

Dan
__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -Cave Creek, AZ.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
mrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 130
Follow up question: there are two hot waster distribution lines coming off the hot water heater. I'm guessing that the upper line (see picture) goes to the water distribution manifold in the wet bay.

Where might the second line go? Perhaps a dedicated line to the Splende washer/dryer?

I'm trying to trace the lines, but not having much luck.
__________________
Dale "MrK"
2012 Allegro Bus 36qsp
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Follow up question: there are two hot waster distribution lines coming off the hot water heater. I'm guessing that the upper line (see picture) goes to the water distribution manifold in the wet bay.

Where might the second line go? Perhaps a dedicated line to the Splende washer/dryer?

I'm trying to trace the lines, but not having much luck.
Easy way to find out. With hot water in the heater, let the hoses cool.

Then run one hot water outlet at a time and see when the hose in question gets hot. Try the washer first. I guess it is possible the one hose could go to more than one spot.....On second thought, I sure hope they would use PEX for distribution, and only use a hose for each faucet.

Regards,

Dan
__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -Cave Creek, AZ.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
mrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Collinsville, IL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Easy way to find out. With hot water in the heater, let the hoses cool.

Then run one hot water outlet at a time and see when the hose in question gets hot. Try the washer first. I guess it is possible the one hose could go to more than one spot.....On second thought, I sure hope they would use PEX for distribution, and only use a hose for each faucet.

Regards,

Dan
I was at the motorhome's storage lot today and tried tracing the hot water hose again. I discovered that the hoses to- and from the hot water heater make a loop through the storage bay beneath the water heater. (I have no idea why I didn't look there when I started this project.) I stuck an inspection scope into the area to see what was there, and I could see that the hoses each attach to pex lines. Those lines go down the middle of the motorhome, and apparently another piece of reinforced flexible hose is attached at the other end, and at least two of those hoses go to the wet bay distribution manifold.
I didn't take the time today to determine which hose was the hose that is leaking, but if I were to replace the hose, I would need to remove the panel to the rear of the back slide-out rail. Then I would have access to the connections and could identify which hose is which. It probably wouldn't be that hard to access, now that I know where to look. Getting the bad hose out and threading a new one under the water heater, into the hole in the wall, and into the connection area might be a bit more of a challenge though. For now, I'll stick with replacing the bad fitting. I'll cut off the leaking fitting and replace it with a 5/8" barbed fitting with 1/2" female pipe threads on the other end, which will be connected to the existing female fitting on the tank side with a 2˝" long 1/2" pipe nipple.
Thanks for all the help and guidance as I stumbled through this.
__________________
Dale "MrK"
2012 Allegro Bus 36qsp
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,869
Dale,

If you do decide to replace the entire hose, sometimes you can tie a string to the old hose as you pull it out.

Then use the string to guide the new hose back into place.
Depends on the situation.

Dan
__________________

__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -Cave Creek, AZ.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aqua Hot solution to my hot, cold, hot water problem JeffK Entegra Owner's Forum 38 06-25-2017 03:54 PM
City Water Inlet Leak @ Inside Bubble Connector j9fortier Travel Trailer Discussion 11 07-10-2015 12:37 PM
Left turn wire not hot on trailer connector Ramzfan Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 08-12-2014 09:47 PM
Hot, hot very hot water in shower and sinks chuydog Country Coach Owners Forum 11 10-04-2012 05:13 PM
Leak in galley faucet connector eflester Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 06-01-2011 02:50 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.