Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 04:00 AM   #1

Leaking in San Antonio

Will try and sum this up in as few words as possible. While sitting near Dallas a couple of weeks ago in the monsoons I found water dripping on the small table top directly behind my passenger seat. The next day another drip appeared from the top of the window over the dining table also on pass side.

When the rain stopped, a week ago Monday, I went to Foretravel in Nacogdoches. By this time the cabinet next to the passenger seat (at the front entry steps, has the elec panel and switches for batts, steps,lights, etc and topped with a cup holder) had started falling apart, literally. No water ever visible here but when they removed cabinet later the area behind it was flooded.

As busy as they were they offered to help. They worked on the rig that Weds-Thurs, pressure tested, sealed suspicious areas , pressure tested again and put me back in their lot end of day Thurs with an appointment the next Monday to repair the damaged cabinet.

It rain Fri night thru Sunday. The leak over the dining table had disappeared. The original leak behind the pass seat immediately reappeared. Mon afternoon techs looked at the coach, sealed some more suspicious areas and said they would put water on the general area and hope the leak was gone. Then they would put the cabinet back in.

Tues morning the came to the parking lot intending to install the cabinet. I asked them to wait until they had water tested to area sealed the previous day. Remember, they are very busy and have been since I arrived. They wo k on my rig when they can fit me in....and I am thankful! By Tues afternoon the tech working on the leaks and his service writer had decided that the Tues work had most likely eliminated the leak, there was no need to put any water on the coach to verify that and that the cabinet should go back in. Basically, they were too busy to work with me any more and the leak was "....probably taken care of". I was apprehensive but without options so paid the bill and left yesterday Weds morning.

So you might have guessed....it's raining here in San Antonio and the original leak on the table behind the pass seat is still leaking. The nicely repaired cabinet is dry and caulked and I don't know f water is coming in from behind as before. I suspect I'll know before long.

This post is as much to vent and try to relieve my frustration as anything. Still, I'm looking for someone who can point me to a facility here or nearby which might be able help me and continue what Foretravel .left undone. I was on my way to Mission but know of no one there who might help and just driving into any place with an "rv repair" sign is not necessarily the best way to go.

I've owned this rig since '06 and have taken good care of it with regular maintenance and inspections, roof and caulk treatment, etc. Most recently a skylight leaked and techs tightened two roof air units and that stopped that leak. I had a new omnidirectional tv ant installed where the old crank up was. I has my roof treated and sulking inspected. I only mention these things just in case they might relate to this new leak. I also mentioned this at Foretravel. Other that a couple of windshield leaks I've never had water in this coach.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated and particularly suggestions for a specific person or facility within a reasonable distance from where I am in SA.

THANKS !
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:09 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first thought would be your roof air-conditioner. They sit on a rubber seal. Remove the plastic cover, 4 screws, the you can see the 4 bolts holding the AC unit.. You dont tighten them tight, just a few turns to compress the rubber..
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #3

Well about a moth ago I had the leak in the skylight. Local rv place came, looked at lap seal and said it looked good and that most leaks are caused by loose AC units. They tightened both and the skylight leak disappeared. I mentioned that incident to Foretravel in case it could be causing my new leak at the different location. They never commented one way or the other. Is that what you ar suggesting?
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its probably not the AC units then.. I dont know where else to have you look.. Just find a shop that will look at it.

Tags
leak