Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

1999 Tradewinds 7370 is now winterized and in covered storage with power left plugged into coach. Is there a downside to doing this? What is recommended for a 4 months of storage.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370 300HP Cat 3126B S#7AS55236
Allison 6 speed MD3060 Onan 7.5 KW deisel generator
Greg Hunsicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #2

1999 Tradewinds 7370 is now winterized and in covered storage with power left plugged into coach. Is there a downside to doing this? What is recommended for a 4 months of storage.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370 300HP Cat 3126B S#7AS55236
Allison 6 speed MD3060 Onan 7.5 KW deisel generator
Greg Hunsicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #3

I guess the question is why are you leaving it on shore power? Do you have a specific reason?

I have heard people say that it overcharges the house batteries and boils the water out of them. It is a lot better on the batteries to put on one of thoses small computerized battery maintainer/chargers. I use a small jumper wire with clips and hook up my house batteries to my motor batteries so it maintains all.

Are you running a dehumidifier or a heater in the motorhome?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

Greg,

We leave our coach connected to shore power all the time while at home and in the garage. Really this is no different than a full timer living in the coach. Just be sure to check the batteries every month or so. If your charger is working correctly (not over charging) and the batteries are in good shape very little water is used.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #5

If the motorhome is winterized (pink stuff) and you're not using it for anything (you state it's in "covered storage") my question is "why?"

You're using the converter and all....the electrics (in the coach) are all on "active" status...you're not there....and there's always the chance that your batteries (coach) will lose water and you'll never know it until you find them "dead"...and possibly that "acid odor" they leave when overcharging while empty.

Do what you want, of course, but I see no reason for it. (JMO)
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #6

Larry, the difference between leaving it on shore power and a full timer using it is that the full timer has 12 volts systems turned on and is using some of that battery/charger so it is not overcharged. The batteries are in series between the charger and the 12 volt systems so the batteries are what they call floating. If the 12 volt systems are turned off then all the charger volts goes into the batteries. If the 12 volt systems are turned on then they run on the batteries and the batteries are being replenished by the charger. If the amount of 12 volt systems draw is is small then the batteries don't see a change. If the amount of draw is greater than what the charger puts out then you are using battery power that will be replaced later by the charger.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #7

Mike,

I guess I have to disagree with your assessment a bit. Most inverter/converter chargers today have a "float charge" cycle built into them. If properly working, they will not overcharge a battery. Additionally, it is always better for a battery's life expectancy to not allow it to go dead.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #8

I don't believe that the chargers like what are used in a MH are designed or intended for long term storage battery maintenance especially on a 1999 MH. I do agree that they have gotten better in later models.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 06 Tradewinds:
Mike,

I guess I have to disagree with your assessment a bit. Most inverter/converter chargers today have a "float charge" cycle built into them. If properly working, they will not overcharge a battery. Additionally, it is always better for a battery's life expectancy to not allow it to go dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Larry on this. It depends if you have a 3 stage charger or not. My MH is in covered storage for the winter. I leave the charger on all winter. I check the water in March before I head out and have to add very little water.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #10

Sorry if I confused people but my answers where pointed to the original question from Greg who has a 1999 MH which I don't think has the newer 3 stage charger. I was not answereing the question for newer model homes.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't believe that the chargers like what are used in a MH are designed or intended for long term storage battery maintenance especially on a 1999 MH. I do agree that they have gotten better in later models.

Mike Canter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three stage chargers have been around since the late 1980's. I had one in a 1990 coach and the twin Trace 3000w inverter-chargers in my 1999 have been "On" for almost 10 years. The Gel batteries are original and still in good shape.
If you have a modern charger leaving it "On" is fine.
Rich D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I have had the best luck with batteries during long storage periods by disconnecting the ground from the battery. You won't have to worry about malfunctioning gadgets.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought, but last night it got down to 7 degrees here. We are on shore power as we store the coach next to the house. It was nice to set the furnace at 45 degrees, and know that the bitter cold would not effect anything. Yes, we have it winterized, but cold can do funny and bad things to plastic, or other polymers, not just by freezing the pipes.
It is worth the little bit of propane I use, to have piece of mind.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #14

We have a 99 Tradewinds, 7370. I have a 30 amp receptacle where it is parked, at home under a garage. We use it right on thru the winter, but it stays plugged in. Been plugged in for nine years, so I would think if anything is going to be damaged, it would be by now. Refrigerator stays on. The echo function of the Hart Interface 2000 inverter, keeps the chassis batteries up also.