RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
License plate lights on toad

Is it a requirement that the license plate light work on the toad when the tail lights come on on the RV?

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

YEP ! It will get you pulled over in a heartbeat. Just something cops use to check you out.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If all is wired correct the light should work when the clearance lights are on, unless the mag mounted lights are used
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I imagine it might vary by state, but would think it would be a red flag to LEO and probably could get you pulled over for further discussion.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laws vary from state to state thus it is impossible to answer your question....

An example.. in Michigan it is legal to tow a car without registration if the car is not capable of being driven under it's own power.. Thus, if the car can not be driven under it's own power.. NO. Example of not being drivable under own power.. Dropped drive shaft.. I very strongly suspect if you put it in gear, Hit the gas and sat there the nice police man might agree it is not drivable under it's own power (less you show him the drive shaft disconnect or axle lock controls that is).. but I've not tested it.

Recommendation.. light the light.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Laws vary from state to state thus it is impossible to answer your question....

An example.. in Michigan it is legal to tow a car without registration if the car is not capable of being driven under it's own power.. Thus, if the car can not be driven under it's own power.. NO. Example of not being drivable under own power.. Dropped drive shaft.. I very strongly suspect if you put it in gear, Hit the gas and sat there the nice police man might agree it is not drivable under it's own power (less you show him the drive shaft disconnect or axle lock controls that is).. but I've not tested it.

Recommendation.. light the light.
Totally agree - lighting the tail light is too easy so why not do it to eliminate reason for an LEO to stop you. Especially if one has the toad tail lights operational from the Tow Veh power. I did it on my Smart Car, because it was easy. But it requires more effort if one is using the magnetic mount external lights. (Mag lights not an option I would chose as a long term solution but to each his/her own,)

I towed for years without the lic plate lit on the toad while in tow mode and only really looked into the legality of it when I rigged my Smart Car. Wonder if anyone has really been cited for this infraction?

Of course if one does not drive in the dark, I suppose one would not be breaking any rules if the lic plate light was not connected.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never had a license plate light on my toad, and have never been stopped. I'd think the officer would have to be totally bored to pull over an RVr, not typically a demographic that causes a lot of problems for law enforcement, because the plate on the toad isn't lit.

I use the separate harness with its own bulbs & sockets installed into the OEM tail light housing. There is no tie into the vehicle harness and no way to light the license plate. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

In the interest of full disclosure, since we've retired it's rare that we'll be still be on the road after dark, so we've got a lot less 'exposure' than we used to but that said, if need be, I will, with no worries.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never lit up the license plate light on multiple toads, over many years and many miles. Never gave it much thought. Albeit usually off the road by dark.

Not something I think I will be concerned with and will continue to travel un-lit...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #9

Granted we're new to this but we haven't even put our plates on our MH yet. Picked it up in FL, drove it 1000 miles back to TX and have been 1000 miles since. To be completely honest though, we just got our plates last week. It took FL two weeks just to release the title to TX.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

Not a problem in Arizona and many other states because they don't issue license plates for tow dollys........

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPY View Post
Granted we're new to this but we haven't even put our plates on our MH yet. Picked it up in FL, drove it 1000 miles back to TX and have been 1000 miles since. To be completely honest though, we just got our plates last week. It took FL two weeks just to release the title to TX.
I believe the thread is about license plate lights on towed cars.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I towed for years without the lic plate lit on the toad while in tow mode and only really looked into the legality of it when I rigged my Smart Car. Wonder if anyone has really been cited for this infraction?

Of course if one does not drive in the dark, I suppose one would not be breaking any rules if the lic plate light was not connected.
X2
I seriously doubt anyone has ever gotton a ticket for that.
Being a former LEO I can't see it not being on as a problem. While you can get a ticket for no plate light on something you are DRIVING, I don't think there is a requiremnt for a vehicle being towed.

on your second part, Ohio only requires ONE tail light.
Since Tourist/RVers don't do much other spend money as we drive across the country, Most all Cop do not make them a high priorty to watch closley.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In California it is required.

I don't know about other states.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #14

Police officers have a lot more to do and worry about than a lousy license plate light. Speeding and drunk drivers is what they are looking for.

Tags
lights, toad