RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
lights on, no off, no on

The bank of overhead lights in my LR/DR slide out go on and off at will. At first I thougt it would be a fuse in the inverter bay, I looked and the fuse was good but I changed it any way and the lights came back on, later they just went out. The fuse is fine I put a new one in again just in case. Then the lights went out, then back on by themselves.

No other power is effected just these lights. The 110 power in the slide is fine. NO breakers are tripped.

It seems to me a short would be blowing the fuse, perhaps a loose wire?

Any suggestions as to where to begin? And what to look for?

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem with my 2000 Sea View, after checking the wires that were in the slide track in the basement found they were being pinched when in transit so sometimes on and other times off, I tied up the line out of the way of the slide mechanism and no further problems.

jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

If yours is similar to mine. Open the bay doors, both sides. At the top you can see across to the other side. There is a wrapped bundle of wiring that lays across this area that slides in and out with the slide. These wires should slide freely with no hangups or obstructions.
In back of the fuse area you should be able to see where these wires start. In that bundle there is one wire that goes to ground, check the ground connection.
There is a hot wire 12v wire and a common ground in the bundle. One of them has a damaged wire or a bad connection.
If stuff has been pushed up in the area with the bundle that has strained connections or prevented the bundle of wires from moving with the slide that is the source of the problem.
Check the wiring at each end to look for a strained wire or connection.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to both, good suggestions, I will begin the search on tuesday. My slide has been out since January 17 when we arrived here. this problem just started, I'll let you know how it goes when I start looking.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it is a slide.. I too recommend you look to where the wires bend under the slide.

And one thing for sure.. Blinking 12 volt lights (On/ off on) is NOT an inverter circuit breaker issue. I see so many people who respond to all electrical problems with "Check the breakers on the inverter".

But this is a 12 volt side of life issue. Those breakers, in fact MOST breakers (There are exceptions) are 120 volt side devices.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Since it is a slide.. I too recommend you look to where the wires bend under the slide.

And one thing for sure.. Blinking 12 volt lights (On/ off on) is NOT an inverter circuit breaker issue. I see so many people who respond to all electrical problems with "Check the breakers on the inverter".

But this is a 12 volt side of life issue. Those breakers, in fact MOST breakers (There are exceptions) are 120 volt side devices.
Thanks for all the comments; they will keep me "grounded" in my task.

Actually two things for sure; you in particular and the forum in general know more about 12 and 120 volts than I ever will.

True enough had they blinked or came on and off in a rapid manner then I think loose wire etc; These were just off, this one bank of lights, and the only electrical thing in the coach that was off; so checking the fuse as a begining point seemed reasonable to me. It was quickly eliminated as a possible problem before I posted.

Looks like I will be "down under" today. Hopefully for a "short" time. I'll keep you current on the positive and negetive things I find.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not be so sure about me knowing more about 12/120 volts than you ever will.. Though I do admit to knowing a bit about it.. After all I've been playing with 12 volt systems for a long time (1970's at least) and though they are currently in basement storage,,, There are a couple of power supplies (12 volt converters) on board that .. Well one I built, and one I re-built, And I think there may be one more i built.

When I say I built it, I mean I drilled and cut the chassis, Choose the transformer and designed the regulator from scratch.

Tags
lights