RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Locking Fuel Cap

Hello everyone. I have a 2004 National Seabreeze LX on a W22 work horse chassis. Any recommendations for a locking fuel cap?

jonesdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

I would be interested also. I have been told maybe a 2003 Chevy Silverado or Tahoe may fit. Let me know if you come up with one.

Thanks Wayne

Old 09-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Will do. I found some for GM vehicles on Amazon. Some of the reviews were pretty bad.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take your cap to NAPA I'm sure they can find you one. That's were I got mine for my Ford.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #5

Okay thank you.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to consider the problems with locking fuel caps before installing one.

1. If the thief wants the gas bad enough they will just poke a hole in the gas tank if it has a locking fuel cap. My brother found this out the hard way in Amarillo, TX when he came to work on a Monday morning and the van was out of gas and he had to have the gas tank replaced.

2. If you lose the key you had better hope there is a large pair of channel lock pliers around to snap off the locking fuel cap. I had to remove a couple of locking fuel caps for customers in my younger days while working at full service gas stations.

There are probably more problems but you get the idea. Losing the gas is cheaper than having to replace the tank or having to be towed because you couldn't get the cap off.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
You might want to consider the problems with locking fuel caps before installing one.

1. If the thief wants the gas bad enough they will just poke a hole in the gas tank if it has a locking fuel cap. My brother found this out the hard way in Amarillo, TX when he came to work on a Monday morning and the van was out of gas and he had to have the gas tank replaced.

2. If you lose the key you had better hope there is a large pair of channel lock pliers around to snap off the locking fuel cap. I had to remove a couple of locking fuel caps for customers in my younger days while working at full service gas stations.

There are probably more problems but you get the idea. Losing the gas is cheaper than having to replace the tank or having to be towed because you couldn't get the cap off.

Jon
Thank you, valid thoughts. I am also thinking about people that may want to play cruel jokes. Just a thought. Even if I don't get a locking one I need to replace the existing one. I don't have a check engine light coming on, but the seal on my current cap is looking work.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

Looking worn
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Currently on a trip and while getting fuel in Oregon I looked down and saw this rubber ring laying on the ground. Picked it up and looked at the gas cap and saw the rubber ring was missing. Later on the trip found a NAPA and O'Reillys part store. Neither one could find a cap to match. looking at the suggested gas caps, I noticed the rings all looked like mine and I figured since the gas filler was the same size on most vehicles. I bought one removed the ring and put it on my cap and batta bing, fit perfect and works like it should.

Safe Travels
YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

On our way home to OR this summer I refueled at Winnamucca, NV for the trip across 95 and 140 to Medford, OR. While refueling again at Medford I noticed I had left the locking cap to the '94 Flair P30 at Winnamucca. On a whim I checked the cap to the Tracker toad and it fit perfectly on the Flair. The Flair was full of fuel and the Tracker was below 1/2 so I left that cap on the Flair until I found a replacement at Walmart.

I would think you would be able to find a locking cap at any parts store, or even Walmart as I did. I would like to discourage entry to my fuel tank as much as possible.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #11

Thank you all for your input. I will look into that also. Any problems with the locking portion of the cap?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #12

The one I got at Walmart hasn't been off since I first put it on a few weeks ago. I had no problems at all with the one that was on there previously during the two years we've had the MH. We've had the Tracker for going on 10 years and no problems with the locking cap on it either. I've had locking caps for many of the 60 years I've been driving and I don't recall ever having one malfunction, but of course as with anything mechanical it is possible. They are currently on three of our vehicles.

I always keep the key to the gas cap on a ring with the ignition keys, so if it is lost I have other more serious problems anyway. I have two sets of keys for all our vehicles that include a gas cap key.

Steve

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel